Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2) - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Tua, Mac, Taulia/Tyson, with one of them re-shirting.

rtr
    To me, this is where it would get interesting. Mac Jones will have 3 years to play.

If he's head an shoulders above the Taulia and Tyson this year, he'll be the clear #2 and clear favorite for 2020. But what if he's not head and shoulders better?

This is what fascinates me about the QB competitions. Somebody has to decide who has the higher ceiling with the proper developement and then he needs some PT to get ready (like Tua got in 2017).
    Last edited by BamaMoon; January 30th, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sorry, but this is based on what? Some kind of gut feeling? I have watched them both play a lot and Mac is years ahead of Taulia right now.
    If you are going off of one spring game then your impression is not exactly very concrete IMO.

It would be better to view their HS film. I've seen lots of film from Tualia and Tyson, not much from Mac Jones. My "gut" would be Taulia and Tyson have better film and probably played better competition since MJ played at a private school and likely competed in a lower classification (I looked for it but couldn't find it).

BamaNation All-American

I'd be pretty surprised if Mac wasn't the #2.

Basically, if Mac isn't the #2 then that means either A) He's pretty bad or B) one of the younger guys is really impressive and we should be very excited about the future.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The two true freshmen may get a game or two to play in but Mac Jones is going to be the backup.
    Last edited by rgw; January 30th, 2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Brain fart

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Sorry, but this is based on what? Some kind of gut feeling? I have watched them both play a lot and Mac is years ahead of Taulia right now.
    Just my opinion. Mac will likely stay #2 on the depth chart (ala Star Jackson being #2 on the depth chart but Saban saying that if McElroy went down AJ would be the first in the game) but if Tua went down for an extended period of time the team would have a lot higher ceiling with Taulia than Mac IMO. The qualifier is that Tualia is healthy and develops over the spring and into the fall. So yes some of it is projection. If a game was tomorrow then yea Mac would be the best backup. 9 months from now it could likely be Taulia..

I remember people being really high on Phillip Simms, Davis Cornwell, Blake Barnett, yada-yada-yada.

For me it was Cornwell. I was excited to have him and thought he'd be "THE GUY" to take the reins and win the race. I was wrong.

Truth is we don't know yet. We can prognosticate until our keyboards melt but until these rookies are thrown into true SEC battle we won't know. Even with A-Day and it's scripted format there's just not enough true battlefield exposure to determine who'll duck into the foxhole or stand up and charge with guns-a-blazin. It's one of the things I love about college football.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

I think Mac will be the #2 next year. He's older, more mature, and has been in the system for two years. That puts him way ahead of the incoming freshmen. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. That means either Taulia or Tyson will be the starter in 2020. But if Tua gets injured next year the competition will get really interesting.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I think Mac will be the #2 next year. He's older, more mature, and has been in the system for two years. That puts him way ahead of the incoming freshmen. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. That means either Taulia or Tyson will be the starter in 2020. But if Tua gets injured next year the competition will get really interesting.
    I agree, but I think that Mac transfers if he is beat out for the starting job next year (2020). I think that he transfers this year if he isn't solidly the #2.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Mac has experience.... but he didn't get the experience throwing the ball.. the one he did.. it was beautiful at times. Saban will go with experience over talented, but he will develop those guys and get them used to the playing experience for next year.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

I love Tua and hope he can stay healthy, especially for games vs Texas AM, LSU, Auburn, (and hopefully UGA; the playoffs).

If Tua is injured, it does not matter to me who the 2nd string QB is as long as he can lead BAMA to beat the above teams I just mentioned.

I hope the 2019 season is basically injury free, but if major injuries are going to happen, hopefully it won't happen in November/December/January when the season matters most.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if Mac wasn't the #2.

Basically, if Mac isn't the #2 then that means either A) He's pretty bad or B) one of the younger guys is really impressive and we should be very excited about the future.
    It could just be the latter, if it turns out one/both overtake him.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Mac has experience.... but he didn't get the experience throwing the ball.. the one he did.. it was beautiful at times. Saban will go with experience over talented, but he will develop those guys and get them used to the playing experience for next year.
    Experience is the key, but don't sleep on the talent. I believe there are schools he could start for in the SEC now, probably more than not. He may not be Tua or Jalen, but he is a good QB who has been in the program for 3 years. We could probably win most games with him.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Mac Jones will be your #2 QB for the 2019 season.
    Is your use of "your" a way of finally admitting you are an Auburn fan?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung