Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2) - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

The way #13 plays, and the hits he takes, the #2 could be the #1 early in the year. I think it should be a priority to work on keeping #13 healthy all season! For that reason I think we don’t run as many plays that will put him at risk for injury!
    I think Mac is clearly the #2 going into fall camp. That said, Tyson was on campus for bowl practice and will be there for Spring and Fall camp! I think that helps! I don’t know the advantage Taulia has being around big brother . I’m sure Tua has shared info with him regarding practice , qb meetings , etc. I think PT has given himself every opportunity to come in and be the #2, don’t think it will be enough. He needs a little more seasoning. Problem is , will there be enough snaps in mop up duty for 3 QBs? I don’t think so!
    Someone brought up Beck, and this is a recruiting question so I don’t want a discussion, but do we have a decent shot at landing DJ Uiagalelei(6-4,240 Somoan descent) . If so, that would make things interesting!
    to 16 and beyond........

2. Advertisement
    News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

wrong thread

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    I hope he develops into a great QB for Bama, but that video doesn't impress me
    Yeah, that video is terrible. No pass rush, bad footwork, no progression reads - just hitting guys on slant patterns. But there are better videos of him out there. He looks like he could be very good.

Beck was Florida's Mr Football as a junior this year. He led his team to the 8A state championship against a lot of tough competition. He will be very good.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    I would guess in game #1 that Mac will be the #2 QB.
    That could change after a couple of games, depending on how well Paul and Taulia pick up on how we play. Last year at A-day Mac looked better than he did the rest of the year.
    One reason: Mac didn't have the starting receivers and starting line in front of him...
    I've watched Taulia and Paul, and IMO they both have a higher upside than Mac.
    Time will tell. Wasn't long ago we had a QB look great at A-day, Didn't make #1, and transferred out ASAP.

If this last year only taught us one thing it should be that Injuries can put #2 on the field in one play. I don't know if we can keep all of our Qbs, but we really really need two or three, this coming season. I know young guys can get impatient, but we have had Qb's enter the Twilight Zone when they left our team...
    Two things:
    1. I agree about the two freshmen having higher ceiling than Mac Jones. My thinking as to why one of them may eventually ascend to the #2.

2. We've been extremely lucky with QB injuries until last year. I can't remember the last time we lost a starter to sit multiple games. Last time I remember losing one for a season was bad-knees Brodie. But, you are correct that #2 is one snap away just like they say about the VP being one heart beat away from the Presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Beck was Florida's Mr Football as a junior this year. He led his team to the 8A state championship against a lot of tough competition. He will be very good.
    HS competition these days is a good indicator. That's why I think Taulia and Tysen have the potential to move up the DC fast. 7-A ball in Bama is nothing to sneeze at. 8-A in UF is some steep competition too.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; January 31st, 2019 at 10:40 AM.

BamaNation All-American

From what I have read this Carson Beck kid is the real deal. Hard to tell in highlight videos in general but he apparently turned around a 2-8 high school team and lead them to their first ever state title in football.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch one of his games on tv or something. But from the little I watched of him on Hudl he looked promising.

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    From what I have read this Carson Beck kid is the real deal. Hard to tell in highlight videos in general but he apparently turned around a 2-8 high school team and lead them to their first ever state title in football.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch one of his games on tv or something. But from the little I watched of him on Hudl he looked promising.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJ26EcH28o

watch the throws at 12:35 and 12:44

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post

Those two throws were tight window throws that he will see on a regular basis in the SEC and he threw them beautifully. Like you, I am very high on him and I am hopeful we hold onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post

I saw that his HS runs a little RPO, but you can tell he's a pure pocket passer. Seems to be the direction our offense is trending, even with Tua.

Also, the kid is well built. Already looks college ready. Lots of HS kids that are 6'4" at QB are tall and lankey and need weight (AJM and Mac Jones come to mind). Beck already has some decent size.

Maybe we get Beck back in the fold but he was always "a bird in the bush."

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Maybe we get Beck back in the fold but he was always "a bird in the bush."
    I understand the phrase but how does it apply to Beck?

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Well with Beck no longer committed I think we can shelf the talk about and stick to what we actually have. As for Mac Jones my impression of him last season was that the speed of the game was too much for him and physically he didn't quite have enough bulk to deal with the rush. In my opinion Sark's offense will be a little more west coasty and that might help Jones but the speed of the game isn't going to slow down. he's got to adjust.

As for the two high schoolers who arrived over the holidays. I saw them both play, I feel they both have potential, but until I see them compete with an SEC linebacker running toward them at full speed they are an unknown.
    BS 1989

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    ... my impression of him last season was that the speed of the game was too much for him and physically he didn't quite have enough bulk to deal with the rush. In my opinion Sark's offense will be a little more west coasty and that might help Jones but the speed of the game isn't going to slow down.
    I agree, but I like to think a big part of that was being #3, and getting #2 reps will get cure what ails him.