Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw that his HS runs a little RPO, but you can tell he's a pure pocket passer. Seems to be the direction our offense is trending, even with Tua.

Also, the kid is well built. Already looks college ready. Lots of HS kids that are 6'4" at QB are tall and lankey and need weight (AJM and Mac Jones come to mind). Beck already has some decent size.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Well with Beck no longer committed I think we can shelf the talk about and stick to what we actually have. As for Mac Jones my impression of him last season was that the speed of the game was too much for him and physically he didn't quite have enough bulk to deal with the rush. In my opinion Sark's offense will be a little more west coasty and that might help Jones but the speed of the game isn't going to slow down. he's got to adjust.

As for the two high schoolers who arrived over the holidays. I saw them both play, I feel they both have potential, but until I see them compete with an SEC linebacker running toward them at full speed they are an unknown.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
... my impression of him last season was that the speed of the game was too much for him and physically he didn't quite have enough bulk to deal with the rush. In my opinion Sark's offense will be a little more west coasty and that might help Jones but the speed of the game isn't going to slow down.
I agree, but I like to think a big part of that was being #3, and getting #2 reps will get cure what ails him.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
He laughed when asked about competition. He said that should be the case with any team you are on and that he plans on just having the same opportunity to win the job no matter where he goes. Sounds a lot more mature and confident than some of the ones who want guaranteed spots...cough...cough... Kyler Murray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand the phrase but how does it apply to Beck?
The ole saying "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

We were talking about him in this thread as if he was already ours even though we have qbs who are already ours on campus.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From Jess' Recruiting article that is fitting for this thread:

The loss of Jalen Hurts and the uncertainty of what Mac Jones brings to the table made getting a quarterback or two in this class a necessity. Signing two players the level of Taulia Tagovailoa (10.0 NARCAS rating) and Paul Tyson (9.9) is a rare occurrence in modern college football, where elite quarterbacks tend to avoid one another like a disease on Signing Day. It doesn’t hurt, though, when one of your signees is the brother of the incumbent starter and the other the great-grandson of legendary Alabama coach Paul “Bear” Bryant. Both Tagovailoa and Tyson are good athletes, although neither is a scrambler on the order of the elder Tagovailoa, or especially the departed Hurts. The backup job is considered open now, and both incoming players should be considered candidates to win it. If you’re looking for something to separate them, Tagovailoa has more balance in his game, while Tyson is more of a pure passer. Both are frontline talents.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Taulia reminds me more of Russell Wilson than Tua who has earned that comp from some on the national analyst/writer level.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Guys i cannot wait till spring this "slow" period is gonna drive me crazy!! Ill be watching girls softball as much as i can to soothe my nerves lol!!!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Grandpappy Bryant is about the same height as his dad. I expect to see that tall silhouette a lot on our sidelines the next few years... :D
I saw Paul and Talia play this year. Very good high school Quarterbacks.
IMO: Either or both could be moved ahead of Mac by the time we get into the meat of our schedule.
I watched Mac play a good bit too. Mac can be a good QB, but I think that Paul and Talia may be great. I hope we can keep em both on campus.
I hope Paul and Talia are in the weight room every day, and studying our playbook too.
Paul is a long tall drink of water 6'5" that could easily pack on 20 pounds of muscle.
Paul has a cannon for an arm.
Talia may have better instincts right now, but I doubt him having a growth spurt.
I watched the game where Paul and Talia faced each other. Talia won that one.
I missed the playoff game between their schools, but Paul won that one.
Spring Training will be a shootout this year. I can't wait.
Mac better be on his toes, because these young guns are coming after him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I saw Paul and Talia play this year. Very good high school Quarterbacks.
IMO: Either or both could be moved ahead of Mac by the time we get into the meat of our schedule.
I watched Mac play a good bit too. Mac can be a good QB, but I think that Paul and Talia may be great. I hope we can keep em both on campus.
I hope Paul and Talia are in the weight room every day, and studying our playbook too.
Paul is a long tall drink of water 6'5" that could easily pack on 20 pounds of muscle.
Paul has a cannon for an arm.
Talia may have better instincts right now, but I doubt him having a growth spurt.
I watched the game where Paul and Talia faced each other. Talia won that one.
I missed the playoff game between their schools, but Paul won that one.
Spring Training will be a shootout this year. I can't wait.
Mac better be on his toes, because these young guns are coming after him.
Actually Taulia won the play-off game also. Thompson and Lia got hammered in the state title game by Central-Phenix City.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.