Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Mac will be the #2 next year. He's older, more mature, and has been in the system for two years. That puts him way ahead of the incoming freshmen. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. That means either Taulia or Tyson will be the starter in 2020. But if Tua gets injured next year the competition will get really interesting.
I agree, but I think that Mac transfers if he is beat out for the starting job next year (2020). I think that he transfers this year if he isn't solidly the #2.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sorry, but this is based on what? Some kind of gut feeling? I have watched them both play a lot and Mac is years ahead of Taulia right now.
Mac has experience.... but he didn't get the experience throwing the ball.. the one he did.. it was beautiful at times. Saban will go with experience over talented, but he will develop those guys and get them used to the playing experience for next year.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I love Tua and hope he can stay healthy, especially for games vs Texas AM, LSU, Auburn, (and hopefully UGA; the playoffs).

If Tua is injured, it does not matter to me who the 2nd string QB is as long as he can lead BAMA to beat the above teams I just mentioned.

I hope the 2019 season is basically injury free, but if major injuries are going to happen, hopefully it won't happen in November/December/January when the season matters most.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd be pretty surprised if Mac wasn't the #2.

Basically, if Mac isn't the #2 then that means either A) He's pretty bad or B) one of the younger guys is really impressive and we should be very excited about the future.
It could just be the latter, if it turns out one/both overtake him.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Mac has experience.... but he didn't get the experience throwing the ball.. the one he did.. it was beautiful at times. Saban will go with experience over talented, but he will develop those guys and get them used to the playing experience for next year.
Experience is the key, but don't sleep on the talent. I believe there are schools he could start for in the SEC now, probably more than not. He may not be Tua or Jalen, but he is a good QB who has been in the program for 3 years. We could probably win most games with him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, you don't think you have a QB controversy? Now you do. :biggrin:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Mac will clearly be #2 IMO. Taulia and Paul are not as polished as Tua and not as athletic as Jalen coming in as freshman and I would be surprised if either were to get ahead of Mac this season.

Tyson played in a Gus type offense (his HS coach was a HS QB for Gus) and it is going to take him time to adjust to a different style offense.

Taulia's height creates problems for him throwing from the pocket and he tends to float outside the pocket to make throws or he takes off running (too much IMO). I saw this at Thompson and he did it quite a bit in the Polynesian All-Star game I watched a couple of weeks ago.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Mac will clearly be #2 IMO. Taulia and Paul are not as polished as Tua and not as athletic as Jalen coming in as freshman and I would be surprised if either were to get ahead of Mac this season.

Tyson played in a Gus type offense (his HS coach was a HS QB for Gus) and it is going to take him time to adjust to a different style offense.

Taulia's height creates problems for him throwing from the pocket and he tends to float outside the pocket to make throws or he takes off running (too much IMO). I saw this at Thompson and he did it quite a bit in the Polynesian All-Star game I watched a couple of weeks ago.
He played? Thought he was rehabing?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Experience is the key, but don't sleep on the talent. I believe there are schools he could start for in the SEC now, probably more than not. He may not be Tua or Jalen, but he is a good QB who has been in the program for 3 years. We could probably win most games with him.
That's really what I meant by experience. He hasn't had the opportunity to do a lot in games, but he's out there practicing every day, he's had better coaching than the incoming freshmen, and he understands what is expected in our offense. That counts for a lot and helps offset any disparity in physical talent, if there indeed is any.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
He played. See the link below. Had a very average game and threw two picks. Obviously he was coming off the shoulder injury but he did not look very good in this game.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/01/h...eammates-perform-in-2019-polynesian-bowl.html
If Taulia is the QB in the near future, we'll see true zone reads, slants, and quick hitter RPOs. He is not Tua. The potential is there, but he's not going to walk onto a practice squad and go 95% like his brother.

Tyson has most of the tools, but his football IQ has been limited by a Malzahn offense. He'll have to pickup reads, etc.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Taulia is the QB in the near future, we'll see true zone reads, slants, and quick hitter RPOs. He is not Tua. The potential is there, but he's not going to walk onto a practice squad and go 95% like his brother.

Tyson has most of the tools, but his football IQ has been limited by a Malzahn offense. He'll have to pickup reads, etc.
Of the two, I think that Paul Tyson is more likely to become your next starter. As you say, he needs time to learn to play the position, but he has the physical ability. We will just have to see how he handles the mental side of the job.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Of the two, I think that Paul Tyson is more likely to become your next starter. As you say, he needs time to learn to play the position, but he has the physical ability. We will just have to see how he handles the mental side of the job.
I honestly have doubts that either ever start here.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.