Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For the first time in several years, we don't have any questions about the starter going into the off-season.

The only question regarding Tua is how the change of coordinator will affect his growth and his ability to make better post-snap reads. Feel free to discuss this.

The bigger question in my mind is who will emerge as the #2 after spring and fall camp. Not only will he probably get plenty of PT next year, but he'll also likely emerge as the heir-apparent going into next year's off season.

I know Taulia is going to be likely considered the front-runner, but I think Tyson is going to be hard to stay in front of. I love his big-body and sneeky athleticism. I'm also uncertain about Taulia's shoulder rehap and even if he'll go thru spring workouts.

FWIW, I wouldn't be shocked to see them both get fair amounts of PT next year possibly within the 4 game redshirt limit or even beyond to set up an epic battle for 2020.

EDIT: Forgot about Mac Jones...where does he fit in? Does he get lost in the shuffle? Are Taulia and Tyson guys with a higher ceiling?

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
First time I've heard "cannon" used to describe his arm. I was under the impression it was good (AJ McCarronish) but not great.
That pass he threw vs. Missouri where he got absolutely lit up a split second after he threw was a great pass.

I always thought he had a great arm, but I may be misremembering.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Nothing is a lock at this point for anyone competing for #2. Mac Jones will likely to head into Spring as #2 on depth chart, but I would expect Tauila, Tyson, Hatcher, Baker to push for #2. I expect to see two QBs behind Tua to share the snaps this fall. Nobody will be clear favorite to win the job next year. I expect to see Tauila and Tyson to play mop up duties in the games this fall. We might see Baker getting some snaps. Next year, I expect it to be three way battle with Tauila, Tyson and Beck should he decide to come to Alabama.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Two years in the system and a cannon for an arm is a lot to overcome for those 2 freshmen.
I also agree that Mac Jones is very likely to be the number two guy behind Tua. As far as the cannon for an arm part, I haven't seen that when he has played. Granted, he hasn't thrown a lot, but it seemed to take a while for those passes to the outside part of the field to get there. I hope Mac takes charge and develops into a great leader and QB because Tua showed that he gets dinged up a bit during the season. The two incoming freshmen should be able to grow and mature in the system and be ready to compete for the starting job when Tua leaves, but if either or both of them demonstrate they are ready to play, get them some time. A-day should give a little bit of a glance into the situation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mac is your #2. No really close. He outplayed Jalen in the Spring game last year. If Tua gets hurt again, he is the guy who can get you to the CFP. The other guys have a great future, but this is another season focused on winning a championship. Mac is the guy behind Tua that gives you the best chance to win.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Mac will go into the Spring as the #2 QB for the sole purpose of pushing Taulia and Tyson. Just like every position Taulia and Tyson will have to earn their way up the depth chart. By the fall I'd expect Taulia to be solidified as #2 unless he's still dealing with the shoulder injury..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mac will go into the Spring as the #2 QB for the sole purpose of pushing Taulia and Tyson. Just like every position Taulia and Tyson will have to earn their way up the depth chart. By the fall I'd expect Taulia to be solidified as #2 unless he's still dealing with the shoulder injury..
Sorry, but this is based on what? Some kind of gut feeling? I have watched them both play a lot and Mac is years ahead of Taulia right now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua, Mac, Taulia/Tyson, with one of them re-shirting.

rtr
To me, this is where it would get interesting. Mac Jones will have 3 years to play.

If he's head an shoulders above the Taulia and Tyson this year, he'll be the clear #2 and clear favorite for 2020. But what if he's not head and shoulders better?

This is what fascinates me about the QB competitions. Somebody has to decide who has the higher ceiling with the proper developement and then he needs some PT to get ready (like Tua got in 2017).

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sorry, but this is based on what? Some kind of gut feeling? I have watched them both play a lot and Mac is years ahead of Taulia right now.
If you are going off of one spring game then your impression is not exactly very concrete IMO.

It would be better to view their HS film. I've seen lots of film from Tualia and Tyson, not much from Mac Jones. My "gut" would be Taulia and Tyson have better film and probably played better competition since MJ played at a private school and likely competed in a lower classification (I looked for it but couldn't find it).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd be pretty surprised if Mac wasn't the #2.

Basically, if Mac isn't the #2 then that means either A) He's pretty bad or B) one of the younger guys is really impressive and we should be very excited about the future.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The two true freshmen may get a game or two to play in but Mac Jones is going to be the backup.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just my opinion. Mac will likely stay #2 on the depth chart (ala Star Jackson being #2 on the depth chart but Saban saying that if McElroy went down AJ would be the first in the game) but if Tua went down for an extended period of time the team would have a lot higher ceiling with Taulia than Mac IMO. The qualifier is that Tualia is healthy and develops over the spring and into the fall. So yes some of it is projection. If a game was tomorrow then yea Mac would be the best backup. 9 months from now it could likely be Taulia..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I remember people being really high on Phillip Simms, Davis Cornwell, Blake Barnett, yada-yada-yada.

For me it was Cornwell. I was excited to have him and thought he'd be "THE GUY" to take the reins and win the race. I was wrong.

Truth is we don't know yet. We can prognosticate until our keyboards melt but until these rookies are thrown into true SEC battle we won't know. Even with A-Day and it's scripted format there's just not enough true battlefield exposure to determine who'll duck into the foxhole or stand up and charge with guns-a-blazin. It's one of the things I love about college football.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think Mac will be the #2 next year. He's older, more mature, and has been in the system for two years. That puts him way ahead of the incoming freshmen. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. That means either Taulia or Tyson will be the starter in 2020. But if Tua gets injured next year the competition will get really interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.