Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

For the first time in several years, we don't have any questions about the starter going into the off-season.

The only question regarding Tua is how the change of coordinator will affect his growth and his ability to make better post-snap reads. Feel free to discuss this.

The bigger question in my mind is who will emerge as the #2 after spring and fall camp. Not only will he probably get plenty of PT next year, but he'll also likely emerge as the heir-apparent going into next year's off season.

I know Taulia is going to be likely considered the front-runner, but I think Tyson is going to be hard to stay in front of. I love his big-body and sneeky athleticism. I'm also uncertain about Taulia's shoulder rehap and even if he'll go thru spring workouts.

FWIW, I wouldn't be shocked to see them both get fair amounts of PT next year possibly within the 4 game redshirt limit or even beyond to set up an epic battle for 2020.

EDIT: Forgot about Mac Jones...where does he fit in? Does he get lost in the shuffle? Are Taulia and Tyson guys with a higher ceiling?
    Last edited by BamaMoon; January 30th, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Re: Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

Mac Jones will be your #2 QB for the 2019 season.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Mac Jones will be your #2 QB for the 2019 season.
    Maybe...perhaps a Freudian slip on my part, but I'm afraid he's the guy that may get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Maybe...perhaps a Freudian slip on my part, but I'm afraid he's the guy that may get left behind.
    Two years in the system and a cannon for an arm is a lot to overcome for those 2 freshmen.

Two years in the system and a cannon for an arm is a lot to overcome for those 2 freshmen.
    First time I've heard "cannon" used to describe his arm. I was under the impression it was good (AJ McCarronish) but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    First time I've heard "cannon" used to describe his arm. I was under the impression it was good (AJ McCarronish) but not great.
    That pass he threw vs. Missouri where he got absolutely lit up a split second after he threw was a great pass.

I always thought he had a great arm, but I may be misremembering.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Nothing is a lock at this point for anyone competing for #2. Mac Jones will likely to head into Spring as #2 on depth chart, but I would expect Tauila, Tyson, Hatcher, Baker to push for #2. I expect to see two QBs behind Tua to share the snaps this fall. Nobody will be clear favorite to win the job next year. I expect to see Tauila and Tyson to play mop up duties in the games this fall. We might see Baker getting some snaps. Next year, I expect it to be three way battle with Tauila, Tyson and Beck should he decide to come to Alabama.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I also agree that Mac Jones is very likely to be the number two guy behind Tua. As far as the cannon for an arm part, I haven't seen that when he has played. Granted, he hasn't thrown a lot, but it seemed to take a while for those passes to the outside part of the field to get there. I hope Mac takes charge and develops into a great leader and QB because Tua showed that he gets dinged up a bit during the season. The two incoming freshmen should be able to grow and mature in the system and be ready to compete for the starting job when Tua leaves, but if either or both of them demonstrate they are ready to play, get them some time. A-day should give a little bit of a glance into the situation.

BamaNation All-SEC

Tua, Mac, Taulia/Tyson, with one of them re-shirting.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Mac is your #2. No really close. He outplayed Jalen in the Spring game last year. If Tua gets hurt again, he is the guy who can get you to the CFP. The other guys have a great future, but this is another season focused on winning a championship. Mac is the guy behind Tua that gives you the best chance to win.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Mac will go into the Spring as the #2 QB for the sole purpose of pushing Taulia and Tyson. Just like every position Taulia and Tyson will have to earn their way up the depth chart. By the fall I'd expect Taulia to be solidified as #2 unless he's still dealing with the shoulder injury..

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Tua, Mac, Taulia/Tyson, with one of them re-shirting.
    Is there is a chance, barring injury, both redshirt? Or does Saban typically like to get 3 guys PT?

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Mac will go into the Spring as the #2 QB for the sole purpose of pushing Taulia and Tyson. Just like every position Taulia and Tyson will have to earn their way up the depth chart. By the fall I'd expect Taulia to be solidified as #2 unless he's still dealing with the shoulder injury..
    Sorry, but this is based on what? Some kind of gut feeling? I have watched them both play a lot and Mac is years ahead of Taulia right now.