Question: Clemson Defensive Linemen Breathing Oxygen on Bench - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Re: Clemson Defensive Linemen Breathing Oxygen on Bench

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    ... the offensive play-calling was some of the most head-scratching I've ever seen.
    Glad I didn't watch.

Bama had their DL on the ropes mid-way through the second quarter - the running game was essentially hammering them with body blows - then the play calling got 'cute' with silly misdirections and unnecessary pass plays and the offense faltered, which allowed them to make it to half time / recovery.

A lot of things had to go differently for Bama to win that game, but the offensive play-calling was some of the most head-scratching I've ever seen.
    I feel like we panicked a little given the fact that our defense was making mistakes and not stopping them.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; January 31st, 2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    I feel like we panicked a little given the fact that our defense was making mistakes and not stopping them.
    If we just stuck to our knitting, we would of been fine! As someone said, their defense was on the ropes, the plays run differential was taking a toll. Down 14-13 with the ball first and goal at the 2 and kicking a field goal, next series throwing the long interception really changed the game. Otherwise it would have been like all most of the other Bama / Clemson games 44- 41 or or 37-34. Something like that.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-American

I still think we might of had a Jalen type problem with our coordinators/coaching staff. Good enough, with the talent around them, to get us there but just not good enough to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I still think we might of had a Jalen type problem with our coordinators/coaching staff. Good enough, with the talent around them, to get us there but just not good enough to finish.
    Believe the bigger issue was the distraction of jobs. It's just too difficult for a coach to do both well.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

this is what i was referencing earlier...

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post

That's the look I used to get in College when I'd ask a girl way out of my league to dance....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post

Analyst on the Field Alert! Analyst on the Field Alert! Analyst on the Field Alert! ....

Sorry -- was just channeling other SEC Football boards for a minute....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American

Bama had their DL on the ropes mid-way through the second quarter - the running game was essentially hammering them with body blows - then the play calling got 'cute' with silly misdirections and unnecessary pass plays and the offense faltered, which allowed them to make it to half time / recovery.

A lot of things had to go differently for Bama to win that game, but the offensive play-calling was some of the most head-scratching I've ever seen.
    Yeah, except for the pick six, they simply weren't stopping us.

Next time will be completely different!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Believe the bigger issue was the distraction of jobs. It's just too difficult for a coach to do both well.
    I'd almost rather coaches who were on their way out just go ahead and leave after the SECCG. That way the remaining staff has a month of dedicated focus to prepare for the game..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    I'd almost rather coaches who were on their way out just go ahead and leave after the SECCG. That way the remaining staff has a month of dedicated focus to prepare for the game..
    It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing this. Certainly Coach Saban has seen enough of this and will stop giving these guys the benefit of the doubt with their level of commitment to the team after they except other jobs.

The play calling had me heading for the 'oxygen', or something to that effect, by mid 3rd quarter as well.