How NOT to get re-elected: KY Gov: We're getting soft for closing schools

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A friend of mine showed me a photo from a family member living in Indiana. The picture is of the hinge on their front door. The hinge is inside the house and it is covered with ice, because it is so cold outside. It looked chilly to me.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
A friend of mine showed me a photo from a family member living in Indiana. The picture is of the hinge on their front door. The hinge is inside the house and it is covered with ice, because it is so cold outside. It looked chilly to me.
At -28F or so in a strong wind door hinges will definitely frost over on the inside. The wind is downright painful on any exposed skin, diesel fuel turns to jelly and cars just quit working. I don't miss that part of it at all.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

"You know what this country used to chew: Tree bark, glass, shotgun shells, the broken swords of our vanquished enemies."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At -28F or so in a strong wind door hinges will definitely frost over on the inside. The wind is downright painful on any exposed skin, diesel fuel turns to jelly and cars just quit working. I don't miss that part of it at all.
Once, back in the late '70s, a friend and I drove up to the Smokys for a winter backpack. The snow cover wasn't bad, but the temps started a nosedive. As it approached zero, we booked a room in the little motel the Nantahala Outdoor Center owned across #64 from them and by Turkey Creek. It kept getting colder. I think it finally hit something like -16. I watched Turkey Creek, a whitewater creek, freeze, rapids and all. I was driving a diesel Mercedes. Fortunately it was stick and they got us started by towing us up to 40mph. A dump truck driver with a load of salt bound for Robbinsville, NC booked the room next to us - and turned off his truck. When we left, they were blasting his
crankcase with a torch. I asked him if he thought he'd get out that day and he had a can of oil in his hand. He turned it upside down and it glopped out like chocolate pudding... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.