Link: Well, turtlehead comes out and says it... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Re: Well, turtlehead comes out and says it...

Quote Originally Posted by mrusso View Post
    Voting is not hard*.
    *If you're lucky enough to not be a targeted citizen for voter suppression

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    *If you're lucky enough to not be a targeted citizen for voter suppression
    Anyone can vote who really wants to do so. It really is not that hard.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    It's weird that they are trying so hard to suppress votes then if they're not getting any results from doing it.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i think that is the best option. the past few years, we have had 2-3 weeks of early voting here in georgia.
    FWIW Republicans are trying to reduce early voting, absentee voting in targeted counties across the nation.

A more specific example is your AG that was running for Governor or something was specifically targeting the poorer counties by cleansing the voter roles to make it take longer to vote in those counties.

Georgia Purged About 107,000 People From Voter Rolls: Report

Or changing the early voting period.

ĎThey Donít Really Want Us to Voteí: How Republicans Made It Harder

My whole argument is this. If you feel that it isn't hard to vote, then good for you. Your circumstances allow for it to be that way. By exercising your right to vote, you obviously appreciate and believe in the democratic process. To then turn around and not support increasing the accessibility and availability for people to exercise that same right, even if it isn't on the same day, seems duplicitous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    It's weird that they are trying so hard to suppress votes then if they're not getting any results from doing it.
    Who is "they"? I don't see that. I know Mitch is a knucklehead. But I don't see Republicans trying to suppress votes. That's totally ridiculous and not so.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I wonder how many people getting the day off would actually go vote.
    Simple - ďI votedĒ sticker means paid holiday, lack of sticker means unpaid holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Who is "they"? I don't see that. I know Mitch is a knucklehead. But I don't see Republicans trying to suppress votes. That's totally ridiculous and not so.
    Read the post above yours.
    Yeah, itís a real thing happening all across the country where Republicans are in charge.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Simple - “I voted” sticker means paid holiday, lack of sticker means unpaid holiday.

Good idea. Bribe people to vote.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

I've heard voting on a weekend, voting on a federal holiday, and voting polls closing at 11:59 pm, but it still doesn't make a college student or a shift working democrat anymore committed to going to the booth than a grandma watching Fox news 12 hrs a day. The truth is unless there is if there isn't a candidate that people are very excited about then folks are going to stay at home. It has very little to do about "WHEN" a vote is taking place as much as "WHO is running" Comparing Kerry 04 vs Obama 08 is pretty clear about that
    Last edited by 81usaf92; January 31st, 2019 at 02:44 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Do you really, honestly believe that?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I've heard voting on a weekend, voting on a federal holiday, and voting polls closing at 11:59 pm, but it still doesn't make a college student or a shift working democrat anymore committed to going to the booth than a grandma watching Fox news 12 hrs a day. The truth is unless there is if there isn't a candidate that people are very excited about then folks are going to stay at home. It has very little to do about "WHEN" a vote is taking place as much as "WHO is running" Comparing Kerry 04 vs Obama 08 is pretty clear about that
    So, you don't think voting on the weekend, making it a federal holiday and/or make it multiple days would impact voter turn out?

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    So, you don't think voting on the weekend, making it a federal holiday and/or make it multiple days would impact voter turn out?
    Not as much as many believe. I think most folks feel its a waste of their time, doesn't feel that they have a real power in their vote, or are not as caught up in the political debate to care. Its just my opinion, but unless we go toward something closer to a parliamentary type voting system for the federal where there are real stakes with everyones vote then I think voter turnout will still be low compared to European countries.

FWIW I'm not advocating for a direct popular vote for the presidency to replace the EC, but something closer to a true 3 party system or a parliament type democracy.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; January 31st, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Well, turtlehead comes out and says it...

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Good idea. Bribe people to vote.
    Itís their civic duty; why not?
    Itís time people took some responsibility. Itís sad to see other countries have 85-90% plus voter turnout and we have hell to pay to get even half the country to vote.
    So, yeah, whatever it takes.
    And itís not as much a bribe for those who do as it is a penalty for those who donít (something Iíve always been in favor of).
    Hey, they can write in Alfred E Neuman for all I care, if they donít like the candidates. But shirking their civic duty is unacceptable IMO unless there are mitigating circumstances.
    Left up to me, anyone who didnít vote without a viable excuse should get ten lashes. But thatís just me.

Last edited by twofbyc; January 31st, 2019 at 02:57 PM.