Link: Interesting CFBCG take from Josh Jacobs - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Link: Interesting CFBCG take from Josh Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Pretty well sums it up. I would much rather we, as a fan base, approach what occurred from essentially this perspective . Let`s let other fan bases whine. And let`s just quietly use this as an object lesson, teaching moment , and motivation to beat the ever lovin` hell out of everybody we play this coming season.
    Dude, Duke is going to stroke out when we play them week 1. They will swear they are playing Clemson twice in one season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Conversely, the games are generally shorter than college in terms of time and snaps and they almost certainly have less practice contact than college teams too. The roster is tighter than college, so starters usually play the whole game though. I think the NFL does a pretty good job of keeping their players fresh. Especially the good franchises.
    Plus they aren't taking a Cultural Anthropology Final or writing a term paper on English Lit the week before.....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

FIFY...They may want to be us, we are NOT them...RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    Dude, Duke is going to stroke out when we play them week 1. They will swear they are playing BAMA twice in one season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My apologies, I wasn't referring to the board discussion but players and others who may represent the university in some capacity (players parents, players, coaches etc.) publicly making statements that though are possibly legitimate reasons, come across more as whining than anything.

Regarding your second paragraph, though I agree with everything your're saying. It's the nature of the beast with college athletics and nothing realistically can be done to change it. You're dealing with majority amateur talent (with some professional talent mixed in) that is not evenly dispersed across the country. As much as I agree with Clemson having a cheesy easy path to the CFP. What do we expect to be done to "correct" it? Not let them in the CFP, force them to change conferences, mandate them to play all SEC teams as their OOC games? Unfortunately, most of the elite talent resides in the SEC. We beat our chest, brag about it, rub it in other conferences' faces. Then try to use it as an excuse when we lose. There could be an argument made that if our teams play in the toughest conference, against the best talent in the country, then we should be more than prepared to play teams from other conferences.

I do agree it would benefit us to have an additional week between semi final games and NC games. But, concerning this year's title game. I think being out coached and out prepared had more to do with the loss than being tired.
    No need for apologies.

I'm not looking to really change anything much because, there really isn't anything you can do about it. Yes, I do brag about the level of competition in the SEC. It is leaps and bounds above the rest of college football. But, it has its drawbacks and we are seeing it in the playoff era. In the BCS era, our champion would emerge far more battle tested and it showed after a month layoff allowing everyone to heal up. Now, with the playoff, we lose that layoff for the title game. And a team like Clemson, with SEC level talent, can coast through their regular season, get a really nice warm up in the semi, and still have their legs under them a week later.

As for any kind of "fix", I think those of you who have lamented Coach Saban's lack of player rotation during the season have it exactly right. He's got to play more guys, especially during blowouts. We had way too thin of a rotation this season and it definitely showed towards the end.

It seemed obvious to me that Clemson's whole season was in preparation for Bama in the playoffs and it showed! Oh I am sure they spent time on their weekly appoinents but their focus was on revenging the loss to Bama in the semi the season before. Once they settled on their qb, the rest of the season, which nearly got derailed against Syracuse when Lawrence went down with a concussion, was all about Bama!!

At least that is my story and I am sticking to it lol!! It still took a perfect game to beat Bama and a lot of help from Bama as well! 2 int's and 3 turnovers on downs deep in enemy territory will get you beat even against Ole Miss!! Clemson is on Bama's level, not an Ole Miss!!! We will get'em this year!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    No need for apologies.

I'm not looking to really change anything much because, there really isn't anything you can do about it. Yes, I do brag about the level of competition in the SEC. It is leaps and bounds above the rest of college football. But, it has its drawbacks and we are seeing it in the playoff era. In the BCS era, our champion would emerge far more battle tested and it showed after a month layoff allowing everyone to heal up. Now, with the playoff, we lose that layoff for the title game. And a team like Clemson, with SEC level talent, can coast through their regular season, get a really nice warm up in the semi, and still have their legs under them a week later.

As for any kind of "fix", I think those of you who have lamented Coach Saban's lack of player rotation during the season have it exactly right. He's got to play more guys, especially during blowouts. We had way too thin of a rotation this season and it definitely showed towards the end.
    Good post. I agree about playing more guys. Saban, being a defensive coach, realized our defense was not up to our typical standard especially depth wise and kept our starters in late in games so our defensive stats would not suffer as much IMO. That paid a toll as the season wore on.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

For whatever reason, when Bama is ranked #1 in the playoffs, they don't win the NC. Guys, the good news is that Bama will not be ranked #1 at the beginning of the 2019 season and also, hopefully, at the end. #2 or #3 is just fine for the playoffs.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    For whatever reason, when Bama is ranked #1 in the playoffs, they don't win the NC. Guys, the good news is that Bama will not be ranked #1 at the beginning of the 2019 season and also, hopefully, at the end. #2 or #3 is just fine for the playoffs.
    The #1 team has not won the NC in the CFP era..

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Neither has the #3 team weirdly enough.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

And the 4 seed has won it twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Neither has the #3 team weirdly enough.
    Still blown away by the fact the lower seed (also the away team) has always won.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

I think the #2 team has always gotten the better draw in the playoffs, paradoxically.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Still blown away by the fact the lower seed (also the away team) has always won.
    Yeah, I knew we were done for when it was our crimson jerseys vs. their away white jerseys and orange pants.

Also, playing in a dumptastic NFL stadium is never a good sign either.