Link: Interesting CFBCG take from Josh Jacobs

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Mental fatigue doesn't have to just come from previous games, either. When you're trying to prepare for a national semifinal and a national championship game . . . and you're also dealing with coaches leaving, players trying to decide if they're staying or going, press telling you that you may have the best team of all time (talk about great expectations!), your coach telling you to not listen to that 'rat poison' etc, etc, I imagine there can be some mental fatigue.

We can act like you can block stuff like that out; but it plays a part as well. I have no idea what Jacobs meant by mental fatigue but it doesn't have to only be caused by the schedule you played.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Mental fatigue doesn't have to just come from previous games, either. When you're trying to prepare for a national semifinal and a national championship game . . . and you're also dealing with coaches leaving, players trying to decide if they're staying or going, press telling you that you may have the best team of all time (talk about great expectations!), your coach telling you to not listen to that 'rat poison' etc, etc, I imagine there can be some mental fatigue.

We can act like you can block stuff like that out; but it plays a part as well. I have no idea what Jacobs meant by mental fatigue but it doesn't have to only be caused by the schedule you played.
Most of that also applied to Clemson.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't remember anyone suggesting Clemson was the greatest team of all time before the game. They had several juniors that had decided to come back for their senior season, thus they were locked in and weren't considering an NFL future. And we know they had no issues with any coaches leaving or considering leaving.

Clemson was obviously in a much better place mentally going into that game. And kudos to them for it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not all though, coaching disruption is a huge factor.

Look no further than Kirby Smart's defense against Clemson. We know he's more competent than that, but his defense got lit up by Clemson. The only thing that saved him was a brilliant gameplan by Kiffin. 550 yards, 40 points, probably the worst defensive showing of any of Smart's defenses. Coincidentally, it happened when he already had a foot out the door.

Then you have Kiffin against Washington. 326 yards, mentally addled play-calling saved only by Bo's 180 yards and 2 TDs (on almost 10 yards per rush).

That's just a couple examples, but clearly putting together a good gameplan and getting the players ready to play and so on is the responsibility of the coaches. If they are not up for that task is can be disastrous and like Hurts in the Washington game, it can also put far too much on the shoulders of players, and... yes make it more mentally fatiguing as well. That's not their job to be the coach, but if the coach isn't doing it, who has to?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
We got beat. Check that. We got the hell beat out of us. Regardless of the "real" reasons. The honorable thing to do is simply tip the cap, give Clemson all the credit in the world and move on. The public excuses, no matter how legit they are, do nothing more than come across as whining. It's not very becoming.
It's ok to do both. To acknowledge we got beat (we did -- I don't think anyone is arguing that) but to wonder aloud *why* it happened is certainly good too.

It's true. Clemson beat the hell out of Alabama. No doubt. The argument that teams from other conferences who do make it to the NCG have an advantage because their 12 + 1 opponents are not the same quality of opponents an SEC team faces during the course of a season does have some merit. It can be discussed on a team's fan board. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's ok to do both. To acknowledge we got beat (we did -- I don't think anyone is arguing that) but to wonder aloud *why* it happened is certainly good too.

It's true. Clemson beat the hell out of Alabama. No doubt. The argument that teams from other conferences who do make it to the NCG have an advantage because their 12 + 1 opponents are not the same quality of opponents an SEC team faces during the course of a season does have some merit. It can be discussed on a team's fan board. I don't think that's a bad thing.
You must have missed my follow up post:

My apologies, I wasn't referring to the board discussion but players and others who may represent the university in some capacity (players parents, players, coaches etc.) publicly making statements that though are possibly legitimate reasons, come across more as whining than anything.

Regarding your second paragraph, though I agree with everything your're saying. It's the nature of the beast with college athletics and nothing realistically can be done to change it. You're dealing with majority amateur talent (with some professional talent mixed in) that is not evenly dispersed across the country. As much as I agree with Clemson having a cheesy easy path to the CFP. What do we expect to be done to "correct" it? Not let them in the CFP, force them to change conferences, mandate them to play all SEC teams as their OOC games? Unfortunately, most of the elite talent resides in the SEC. We beat our chest, brag about it, rub it in other conferences' faces. Then try to use it as an excuse when we lose. There could be an argument made that if our teams play in the toughest conference, against the best talent in the country, then we should be more than prepared to play teams from other conferences.

I do agree it would benefit us to have an additional week between semi final games and NC games. But, concerning this year's title game. I think being out coached and out prepared had more to do with the loss than being tired.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
In 2017 Alabama lost 6 coaches but the playoffs were two of our finest games. The reason we lost was because of a weaker crop of coaches who didn't have the players well prepped plus one of our weakest defensive units in the Saban era due to roster turnover, injury attrition, lackluster performance from supposed reliable players, and mediocre to poor coaching. I think the mental and physical attrition was a factor in all that but if this was a team playing up to the standard on defense they would've done enough to give us a chance despite fatigue.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
We were thin on D, had no kicking game, couldn’t score from the 5 yard line (literally ever), got very few calls, faced a much tougher round one opponent than Clemson, Clemson had some very capable playmakers, and we were totally outcoached. That’s why we lost and the score was lopsided.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am that someone didn’t warn Tua that Clemson might try to jump the coverage on the sideline ball (we run it a lot, scout yourself a little) and to try for the look-off corner throw. Hindsight is 50/50, obviously.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Weaker leadership than normal cost us this year, mostly on the defensive side.
This times 100. Our D escaped serious scrutiny through October,but they were exposed in November. We had the worst MLB in the Saban era and it showed against elite competition late in the season and quite frankly before that. Heck he got planted in the orange bowl against an Oklahoma WR of all people. I was embarrassed FOR HIM when that happened.....

Last edited:

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
If you’re talking about Jesus: number one, he wasn’t our MLB; number two, you only capitalize “”HIM” and not the “for,” preceeding the “for HIM;” and number three, if Jesus played football, it would obviously be for Dabo Swinney.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If you’re talking about Jesus: number one, he wasn’t our MLB; number two, you only capitalize “”HIM” and not the “for,” preceeding the “for HIM;” and number three, if Jesus played football, it would obviously be for Dabo Swinney.

It's VERY cold in Chicago right now guys.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Clemson has been congratulated ad nauseam for taking advantage of their opportunity. They were the better team that night.

This discussion does nothing to change that fact.

It is not only perfectly natural, but essential that a team:

1. processes what happened with them during and leading up to that loss to understand why it occurred and

2. learn from that process how to avoid repeating the same mistakes

Unless you have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Alabama cannot control what Clemson does.

Alabama can control what Alabama does.

Growth cannot happen by a simple tip of the hat. (not talking about losing with grace - that is part of learning but is not pertinent to this discussion)

Growth occurs when you dig deep down to discover where and why you fell short.

Sometimes you are just exhausted. It happens. If something contributed to that it's important to alter what you can to prevent it next time. If leadership or will power played a role it's important to address that also.

Dealing with your own problems does nothing to take away anything from the other team.

If you can't understand that then I can't help you.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Clemson has been congratulated ad nauseam for taking advantage of their opportunity. They were the better team that night.

This discussion does nothing to change that fact.

It is not only perfectly natural, but essential that a team:

1. processes what happened with them during and leading up to that loss to understand why it occurred and

2. learn from that process how to avoid repeating the same mistakes

Unless you have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Alabama cannot control what Clemson does.

Alabama can control what Alabama does.

Growth cannot happen by a simple tip of the hat. (not talking about losing with grace - that is part of learning but is not pertinent to this discussion)

Growth occurs when you dig deep down to discover where and why you fell short.

Sometimes you are just exhausted. It happens. If something contributed to that it's important to alter what you can to prevent it next time. If leadership or will power played a role it's important to address that also.

Dealing with your own problems does nothing to take away anything from the other team.

If you can't understand that then I can't help you.
I agree as long as it's being done by the coaching staff or among fans on a message board. But not when it's done by our fans to other fanbases or publicly by players or relatives of players. That statement by Jacobs made me cringe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.