Link: Interesting CFBCG take from Josh Jacobs - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Link: Interesting CFBCG take from Josh Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think there has been plenty of "convo" material in this thread to fit your fancy, if that's what you're truly looking for. But again, it seems you're looking for a specific flavor of "convo". You and your team have been given congrats and kudos for the win in abundance on this board. Most here have moved on to dissecting what all factors could have contributed to the version of the Tide we saw in the title game and if you're not interested in discussing that, other than saying or implying "Cawse we just better". Then I suggest you show yourself the door or we'll do it for you.
    ACC fans may not want to admit it, but if you take Clemson out of the equation, their league is more on par with Conference USA than a Power 5 league...it's a total joke.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    ACC fans may not want to admit it, but if you take Clemson out of the equation, their league is more on par with Conference USA than a Power 5 league...it's a total joke.
    Well maybe a little better than C-USA. Maybe more like the American Conference.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Mental fatigue doesn't have to just come from previous games, either. When you're trying to prepare for a national semifinal and a national championship game . . . and you're also dealing with coaches leaving, players trying to decide if they're staying or going, press telling you that you may have the best team of all time (talk about great expectations!), your coach telling you to not listen to that 'rat poison' etc, etc, I imagine there can be some mental fatigue.

We can act like you can block stuff like that out; but it plays a part as well. I have no idea what Jacobs meant by mental fatigue but it doesn't have to only be caused by the schedule you played.
    RTR

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    Mental fatigue doesn't have to just come from previous games, either. When you're trying to prepare for a national semifinal and a national championship game . . . and you're also dealing with coaches leaving, players trying to decide if they're staying or going, press telling you that you may have the best team of all time (talk about great expectations!), your coach telling you to not listen to that 'rat poison' etc, etc, I imagine there can be some mental fatigue.

We can act like you can block stuff like that out; but it plays a part as well. I have no idea what Jacobs meant by mental fatigue but it doesn't have to only be caused by the schedule you played.
    Most of that also applied to Clemson.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    I don't remember anyone suggesting Clemson was the greatest team of all time before the game. They had several juniors that had decided to come back for their senior season, thus they were locked in and weren't considering an NFL future. And we know they had no issues with any coaches leaving or considering leaving.

Clemson was obviously in a much better place mentally going into that game. And kudos to them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    Not all though, coaching disruption is a huge factor.

Look no further than Kirby Smart's defense against Clemson. We know he's more competent than that, but his defense got lit up by Clemson. The only thing that saved him was a brilliant gameplan by Kiffin. 550 yards, 40 points, probably the worst defensive showing of any of Smart's defenses. Coincidentally, it happened when he already had a foot out the door.

Then you have Kiffin against Washington. 326 yards, mentally addled play-calling saved only by Bo's 180 yards and 2 TDs (on almost 10 yards per rush).

That's just a couple examples, but clearly putting together a good gameplan and getting the players ready to play and so on is the responsibility of the coaches. If they are not up for that task is can be disastrous and like Hurts in the Washington game, it can also put far too much on the shoulders of players, and... yes make it more mentally fatiguing as well. That's not their job to be the coach, but if the coach isn't doing it, who has to?
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Second Team

Weaker leadership than normal cost us this year, mostly on the defensive side.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

We got beat. Check that. We got the hell beat out of us. Regardless of the "real" reasons. The honorable thing to do is simply tip the cap, give Clemson all the credit in the world and move on. The public excuses, no matter how legit they are, do nothing more than come across as whining. It's not very becoming.
    It's ok to do both. To acknowledge we got beat (we did -- I don't think anyone is arguing that) but to wonder aloud *why* it happened is certainly good too.

It's true. Clemson beat the hell out of Alabama. No doubt. The argument that teams from other conferences who do make it to the NCG have an advantage because their 12 + 1 opponents are not the same quality of opponents an SEC team faces during the course of a season does have some merit. It can be discussed on a team's fan board. I don't think that's a bad thing.
    “I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games.” - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    It's ok to do both. To acknowledge we got beat (we did -- I don't think anyone is arguing that) but to wonder aloud *why* it happened is certainly good too.

It's true. Clemson beat the hell out of Alabama. No doubt. The argument that teams from other conferences who do make it to the NCG have an advantage because their 12 + 1 opponents are not the same quality of opponents an SEC team faces during the course of a season does have some merit. It can be discussed on a team's fan board. I don't think that's a bad thing.
    You must have missed my follow up post:

My apologies, I wasn't referring to the board discussion but players and others who may represent the university in some capacity (players parents, players, coaches etc.) publicly making statements that though are possibly legitimate reasons, come across more as whining than anything.

Regarding your second paragraph, though I agree with everything your're saying. It's the nature of the beast with college athletics and nothing realistically can be done to change it. You're dealing with majority amateur talent (with some professional talent mixed in) that is not evenly dispersed across the country. As much as I agree with Clemson having a cheesy easy path to the CFP. What do we expect to be done to "correct" it? Not let them in the CFP, force them to change conferences, mandate them to play all SEC teams as their OOC games? Unfortunately, most of the elite talent resides in the SEC. We beat our chest, brag about it, rub it in other conferences' faces. Then try to use it as an excuse when we lose. There could be an argument made that if our teams play in the toughest conference, against the best talent in the country, then we should be more than prepared to play teams from other conferences.

I do agree it would benefit us to have an additional week between semi final games and NC games. But, concerning this year's title game. I think being out coached and out prepared had more to do with the loss than being tired.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Yeah I did miss it. Sorry about that, Buzz.
    “I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games.” - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

In 2017 Alabama lost 6 coaches but the playoffs were two of our finest games. The reason we lost was because of a weaker crop of coaches who didn't have the players well prepped plus one of our weakest defensive units in the Saban era due to roster turnover, injury attrition, lackluster performance from supposed reliable players, and mediocre to poor coaching. I think the mental and physical attrition was a factor in all that but if this was a team playing up to the standard on defense they would've done enough to give us a chance despite fatigue.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar

We were thin on D, had no kicking game, couldn’t score from the 5 yard line (literally ever), got very few calls, faced a much tougher round one opponent than Clemson, Clemson had some very capable playmakers, and we were totally outcoached. That’s why we lost and the score was lopsided.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am that someone didn’t warn Tua that Clemson might try to jump the coverage on the sideline ball (we run it a lot, scout yourself a little) and to try for the look-off corner throw. Hindsight is 50/50, obviously.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkullDuckery View Post
    Weaker leadership than normal cost us this year, mostly on the defensive side.
    This times 100. Our D escaped serious scrutiny through October,but they were exposed in November. We had the worst MLB in the Saban era and it showed against elite competition late in the season and quite frankly before that. Heck he got planted in the orange bowl against an Oklahoma WR of all people. I was embarrassed FOR HIM when that happened.....
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 1st, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings