Link: Interesting CFBCG take from Josh Jacobs

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you all wouldn't have been beaten down so bad you took a knee to end the 1st half and the game was even in question at some point in the 2nd half... the idea that you were "mentally" drained would maybe have merit. So you were mentally exhausted by maybe playing tough games each week 2 to 3 months earlier?
I tend to agree - but if you look at how Bama played in the first and second half, with lots of mental mistakes, missed opportunities, etc, it's uncharacteristic of Bama football. Certainly a lot of credit is due Clemson for causing issues in Bama's play, but there was a lack of mental focus regardless as to what the scoreboard said.

But again, I'm not buying 'mental fatigue' when the team had four weeks off to recharge after the SECCG. It appears that Clemson came out well-prepared and ready to play while Bama's lack of coaching experience / acumen made for a combination that was simply too much to overcome.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you all wouldn't have been beaten down so bad you took a knee to end the 1st half and the game was even in question at some point in the 2nd half... the idea that you were "mentally" drained would maybe have merit. So you were mentally exhausted by maybe playing tough games each week 2 to 3 months earlier?

Right...
We were out coached, out prepared and faced a team that was hungrier than we were. Is Clemson physically/talent wise, 4 td's better than Alabama? Heck no, and it's laughable for anyone to even believe that. Saban and his staff were "out worked" in the preparation department and got their butts handed to them. Maybe a lesson was learned, who knows?

I don't think that game was a sign that Clemson has now surpassed Alabama and ended their run like many believe. Your own coach even laughed at that notion. Bama returns a better team in 2019 than we had in 2018 AND will probably have the #1 recruiting class in the nation. I think we'll hang around a while longer. As your coach told Coach Saban "See you next year". Cheers and congrats again on the title.

"It's like death, taxes and Alabama Football. You can count on it."- Dabo Swinney

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Right...
Largest margin of defeat Alabama has had in two decades. Yeah, I'm going to buy that Clemson was just that much better. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the win. No one can ever take it away (unless you all had a tutor helping to fix grades for the players or something like that), and no one is questioning whether or not Clemson was a worthy champion. But you are ignorant here if you think Clemson faced anything nearly as taxing as Alabama did during the season. Did it ultimately make the difference? No, probably not. If Alabama shows up mentally focused as it should have, maybe Clemson still wins. But not by 28.

2ndand26

Oct 4, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I tend to agree - but if you look at how Bama played in the first and second half, with lots of mental mistakes, missed opportunities, etc, it's uncharacteristic of Bama football. Certainly a lot of credit is due Clemson for causing issues in Bama's play, but there was a lack of mental focus regardless as to what the scoreboard said.
But again, I'm not buying 'mental fatigue' when the team had four weeks off to recharge after the SECCG. It appears that Clemson came out well-prepared and ready to play while Bama's lack of coaching experience / acumen made for a combination that was simply too much to overcome.
For a classic demonstration of mental and physical fatigue, look at the 2015 Bama vs. TN game. Bama played seven straight games going into the TN game. It was clear from the outset that the team was drained. Anyone who dismisses the cumulative effects of weekly football games - especially at the D1 level - has never played football. By the 7th game, soreness that generally subsides by Monday is still prevalent going into the next game. It's a vicious cycle that perhaps today's trainers have a much better handle on compared to when I played in the 80s. While I agree that mental and physical fatigue played little to no part in the NCG (playing OK vs ND notwithstanding), it is a phenomenon that every football player must face. This is why I've felt that teams scheduling bye weeks prior to facing Bama give themselves an advantage that is greater than most realize. It is also why I am somewhat against playoff expansion: the weekly grind is too taxing, both physically and mentally.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
So first... I never suggested Clemson is/was a "4 TD better team" last season, nor that the game is indicative of Clemson "taking over". We were that day for sure, but I wouldn't argue that was an anomaly outcome (how we won, not that we won). Was your schedule tougher? Sure... but it wasn't that significantly more difficult and whatever level more difficult it was sure as hell did not contribute to a game played over a month following the regular season.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
We got beat. Check that. We got the hell beat out of us. Regardless of the "real" reasons. The honorable thing to do is simply tip the cap, give Clemson all the credit in the world and move on. The public excuses, no matter how legit they are, do nothing more than come across as whining. It's not very becoming.
Sadly, it happens.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
So first... I never suggested Clemson is/was a "4 TD better team" last season, nor that the game is indicative of Clemson "taking over". We were that day for sure, but I wouldn't argue that was an anomaly outcome (how we won, not that we won). Was your schedule tougher? Sure... but it wasn't that significantly more difficult and whatever level more difficult it was sure as hell did not contribute to a game played over a month following the regular season.

I think most who post on here (including yourself) are a little to a lot more educated about football than the average fan. Maybe you're a bit too close to the tree to see the forest. But the level of competition in the ACC this particular year absolutely sucked. Whether you want to admit that or not is up to you. I watch waaaaay too much football and I watched my share of ACC games, specifically Clemson's games. Your conference championship had a 7-5 team in it....a 7-5 team. Your conference was pitiful and to even make an attempt to convince otherwise is embarrassing.

That being said, and has been stated several times by posters. The quality or lack thereof of the ACC had nothing to do with the outcome of the title game. The outcome of the title game had everything to do with our staff simply being out prepared, out coached (during the game) and not being able to match the intensity of the opponent. But make no mistake about it. There was not ONE team in ACC that posed a realistic threat to beat Clemson in any game. The same cannot be said about Alabama and it's opponents in the SEC. Even the teams we beat by double digits (aTm, the team that gave y'all everything y'all wanted and then some) had the fire power to beat us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is entirely possible to be both exhausted and out coached - they are not mutually exclusive. And Alabama did not get 4 weeks off - they were back at work after about 10 days. As a distance runner, a 10 day break is not sufficient to adequately recover from a peak performance endurance event before beginning the next training cycle. Alabama had to get back to peak levels in time for the Sooner game, and they did so, but at what cost? Then the players have to repeat that intensity 9 days later against a very rested Clemson team.

So, 3 factors, all of which combined to produce the game that we all witnessed:

Clemson rested vs Alabama much less rested
Clemson's talent level is close enough that the difference in rest made a difference (would not have matter if Alabama had faced ND there)
Clemson's game plan was superior

Clemson absolutely earned the win. If points 2 and 3 don't exist, point 1 doesn't matter. But Alabama's schedule made it a lot less likely that they would be able to overcome mistakes. In those conditions Alabama needed to play a perfect game, and that did not happen.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We played OU in the Miami heat and humidity the week before. You guys played the easiest draw in a dome. Is that the reason we lost? No. Is anyone saying Clemson isn't a worthy champion or got lucky? No. This is mainly Alabama fans trying to parse what went wrong in the game..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We played OU in the Miami heat and humidity the week before. You guys played the easiest draw in a dome. Is that the reason we lost? No. Is anyone saying Clemson isn't a worthy champion or got lucky? No. This is mainly Alabama fans trying to parse what went wrong in the game..
The guy comes on an Alabama message board and wants to "discuss" the game but wants the discussion to be limited to "we won. we better". He's not here to "discuss" but over play their win. He needs to go do that somewhere else.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
You guys were favored by at least 2 TD in every game (avg of like 4 TD) and avg winning margin was 30 or so. No doubt the sec championship was tougher than the acc, can not argue that.

That's 1 game they were mentally taxed. Now, if the saban model of how he approaches all games, practices, and "the process" was mentally taxing... I guess, but it's worked really well the past decade.
your coaching staff has admitted in private that it played a "significant" role...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It is entirely possible to be both exhausted and out coached - they are not mutually exclusive. And Alabama did not get 4 weeks off - they were back at work after about 10 days. As a distance runner, a 10 day break is not sufficient to adequately recover from a peak performance endurance event before beginning the next training cycle. Alabama had to get back to peak levels in time for the Sooner game, and they did so, but at what cost? Then the players have to repeat that intensity 9 days later against a very rested Clemson team.

So, 3 factors, all of which combined to produce the game that we all witnessed:

Clemson rested vs Alabama much less rested
Clemson's talent level is close enough that the difference in rest made a difference (would not have matter if Alabama had faced ND there)
Clemson's game plan was superior

Clemson absolutely earned the win. If points 2 and 3 don't exist, point 1 doesn't matter. But Alabama's schedule made it a lot less likely that they would be able to overcome mistakes. In those conditions Alabama needed to play a perfect game, and that did not happen.
i've had years where it took me a 2-3 months to fully recover after a 6-7 month stretch of hard races. most of the top ultrarunners i have ever talked with say they are good for maybe 2 top/peak performances each year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The guy comes on an Alabama message board and wants to "discuss" the game but wants the discussion to be limited to "we won. we better". He's not here to "discuss" but over play their win. He needs to go do that somewhere else.
That's what I was trying to say but in a nicer way lol. There's plenty of other threads for Clemson fans to participate in. This may not be the best one especially with that kind of attitude..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
That's what I was trying to say but in a nicer way lol. There's plenty of other threads for Clemson fans to participate in. This may not be the best one especially with that kind of attitude..
Yea, I don't really even disagree with him but I just doubt he's going to get what he's looking for here. Or, maybe he is I suppose.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Not "looking for anything", lol. Well, convo...which some are doing, some think they're more of an authority and know best, all good.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Not "looking for anything", lol. Well, convo...which some are doing, some think they're more of an authority and know best, all good.
I think there has been plenty of "convo" material in this thread to fit your fancy, if that's what you're truly looking for. But again, it seems you're looking for a specific flavor of "convo". You and your team have been given congrats and kudos for the win in abundance on this board. Most here have moved on to dissecting what all factors could have contributed to the version of the Tide we saw in the title game and if you're not interested in discussing that, other than saying or implying "Cawse we just better". Then I suggest you show yourself the door or we'll do it for you.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The winner in the division opposite your team ended up with a 7-7 record...sorry...that alone speaks to how weak the ACC is.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think there has been plenty of "convo" material in this thread to fit your fancy, if that's what you're truly looking for. But again, it seems you're looking for a specific flavor of "convo". You and your team have been given congrats and kudos for the win in abundance on this board. Most here have moved on to dissecting what all factors could have contributed to the version of the Tide we saw in the title game and if you're not interested in discussing that, other than saying or implying "Cawse we just better". Then I suggest you show yourself the door or we'll do it for you.
ACC fans may not want to admit it, but if you take Clemson out of the equation, their league is more on par with Conference USA than a Power 5 league...it's a total joke.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.