Writer thinks picture of coal miners are racist - soot covered faces = black face

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Viewers cannot determine the intention of an artist’s work. Art also exposes society’s blind spots. Blackface is only a glimpse of a larger issue. The larger issue is the lack of representation of marginalized people and their voices in Phoenix.
The larger issue is that there are people that get less satisfaction from learning something than from suppressing the display of historical images that resemble something vaguely threatening in a modern context.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Most of my dad's family came home from the mines looking like that. With bleeding hands, I might add.

Several died from "black lung". That is also racist.

(BTW, they HATED the union. They thought it was just like the mano nera.) (Even more racism!)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The irony is these coal miners were probably union democrats.

Don't be daft, laddie. They are probably Yorkies, since they are drinking Bass ale.

(OK, I guess they could be Geordies, since most of the coal mining took place that far north. But since none of them are drinking "broon ale"...............I rest my case.)

(We will ignore the Welsh because................well, they are Welsh!)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.