Sling tv for bama ball?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My only complaint is with my Roku device. We have Youtube TV. It works great with anything except live sports. Then, it's constant buffering, freezing, and error messages about the quality of my Internet connection. The same Internet connection that is a consistent 60 mbps download speed. The same Internet connection and WLAN that can serve 4 streaming devices at the same time without a single hiccup. But for some reason, streaming live sports via Youtube TV on my Roku simply won't work. Indeed, I can stream it on my iPad or Macbook with no issue at all. And I'm not alone; I have found others having the same issue.
When I first cut the cord, my WiFi was setting beside a desk top computer. Buffering was a pain. THEN...
I relocated my WiFi very high. I wasn't finished, I bought a extension for my Roku Stick. and raised my stick antenna away from the HDMI port. Now my Broadband WiFi hookup doesn't have a buffering problem.
This made me a happy camper.
I should have cut the cord much sooner than I did.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and seebell

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My only complaint is with my Roku device. We have Youtube TV. It works great with anything except live sports. Then, it's constant buffering, freezing, and error messages about the quality of my Internet connection. The same Internet connection that is a consistent 60 mbps download speed. The same Internet connection and WLAN that can serve 4 streaming devices at the same time without a single hiccup. But for some reason, streaming live sports via Youtube TV on my Roku simply won't work. Indeed, I can stream it on my iPad or Macbook with no issue at all. And I'm not alone; I have found others having the same issue.
Try rebooting your Roku Stick. I put em on a couple of our TV's. Mine work well.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Posted this on the NS forum but figured I post here also since some people don't go over there:

So the time has finally come where AT&T / Direct TV did not offer me the same discounted rate as they have in previous years when my promotion ended. Typically, Direct TV would give me a $60 credit for 12 months when I would call to cancel. No dice this time. They offered me a lower package which did not include many of the sports channels so that was a no go. After 7 years of Direct TV and AT&T internet I have both set for cancellation at the end of the current billing cycle. Google Fiber internet will be installed this Saturday and then the end of March will finalize my Direct TV service. The internet change should be pretty seamless. So what to do now for TV? After doing a lot of research and talking to people who have tried all the services (including this forum) I'm going to try YouTube TV. I was excited at first but the more I read about it the more skeptical I'm becoming. Mainly due to picture quality issues. Most people who have switched to a streaming service from Direct TV have commented that it's a noticeable decrease in picture quality. Not bad per say but a noticeable downgrade. If so that may be a deal breaker for me. I plan to stream from a Roku which will be hardwired into the new Google Fiber modem so there should be no connectivity issue or latency there. As long as the picture quality is good everything else about the service sounds great. I'm actually going to be splitting an account with somebody so it will only cost me $20 per month for YTTV and then $50 for the Google Fiber internet. Total of $70 per month versus what I was paying which was $160. Just hope the picture quality is at least on par to what I had with Direct TV.

Has anyone here switched from Direct TV or a cable company to YouTube TV and noticed lesser picture quality with YTTV (or better)? The good thing is I have several months before football season starts to get everything settled..
My Roku Streaming Stick and Broad Band work great on YouTube TV. The picture on my 4K Samsung is much better than the picture we got on Att Uverse.

foreveratidefan

Scout Team
Sep 20, 2005
Smyrna, TN
I used to use Sling - But I got a new TV and Slingtv is not directly supported on it. I was kinda tired of having to add on the sling sports package anyway, so I think this season I'm going to go with YoutubeTV.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have started having buffering issues too since more homes have been built in this neighborhood. I will see if I can move my router like you did. Is there another way to make my internet signal stronger in the other parts of my house?
You can get a router that has a greater range. Mine goes easily 100' past our house.
Makes it easier to go thru walls. A better signal to the Roku and to your TV means a better picture, ect...

• Thank You
Reactions: Con

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Getting one or more range extenders are a great option. (You're technically setting up a mesh network). The Eero system, for example, will tell you how many stations to get and will connect the range extenders via Ethernet-Over-Powerline (it runs internet over your electrical system which is cool to me). I think that's the one my dad went with.

Because I'm extra like that, I had my house wired with Cat5e cables and hard wire connect my devices. Can't get radio interference that way :)

Reactions: BamaNation

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Getting one or more range extenders are a great option. (You're technically setting up a mesh network). The Eero system, for example, will tell you how many stations to get and will connect the range extenders via Ethernet-Over-Powerline (it runs internet over your electrical system which is cool to me). I think that's the one my dad went with.

Because I'm extra like that, I had my house wired with Cat5e cables and hard wire connect my devices. Can't get radio interference that way :)
I built my home and wish I had known enough to do that...would have been much cheaper and better.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
For those experiencing bad wifi, get a mesh network. For <$300 you should be getting great wifi connections throughout your house if you have a good / fast wired connection coming in from cable, fiber, dsl, etc. Here's a good review of available systems (I use Google Wifi which isn't really reviewed but is also very good - it was just about the only affordable solution that worked well years ago when it first came out). I installed it at my in-laws house using cheap used Google wifi pods ($25/ea) and now am considered even more of a hero than I already was :D

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Just an FYI....my YouTube TV is rising in price from $49.99 to $64.99 in August. Just in time for the season, if we have one. I will be canceling and probably won't be following games. I don't watch TV enough to pay that much for it.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Just an FYI....my YouTube TV is rising in price from $49.99 to $64.99 in August. Just in time for the season, if we have one. I will be canceling and probably won't be following games. I don't watch TV enough to pay that much for it.
CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS are likely available on an inexpensive antenna. ESPN can be purchased standalone or as part of a HULU, Disney +, ESPN package for $12.99 per month. We surely don't need to pay for all of those channels on YouTubeTV to watch college football.

Reactions: Con

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS are likely available on an inexpensive antenna. ESPN can be purchased standalone or as part of a HULU, Disney +, ESPN package for $12.99 per month. We surely don't need to pay for all of those channels on YouTubeTV to watch college football.
You are correct, but I live in a very rural area that is too far from the broadcast antenna to pick up a digital signal. I don't think any of those other options carry a local network.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.