Sling tv for bama ball?

Rolltidewill92

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 11, 2018
Please move if in wrong section but I'm cutting the cord and wondered if any of y'all use sling for bama football and basketball

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Please move if in wrong section but I'm cutting the cord and wondered if any of y'all use sling for bama football and basketball
It has been discussed extensively here. I left Sling for YouTube TV which has a significantly better offering in terms of all ESPN and SEC offerings along with network coverage with cloud based DVR and the ability to have others members of the family watch other programming. Others use HULU or other offerings here. I would personally not recommend Sling for Bama/SEC sports.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
When it comes to cutting the cord and cutting cost, there always has to be some sacrifices.

I've gone without cable basically almost all of my adult life, when my then girlfriend and I decided we needed to start saving money.

I've tried Playstation Vue, Sling, and DirectTV Now. Part of this is just being aware of what you're getting. I'd actually rank Sling at the top of the list of those three services, simply because it has a fairly easy to use channel guide (I've found navigating some other streaming services to be tedious), I haven't had any service issues, and oh yeah... the price. But do you want DVR and a bunch of people to use it at once? You should probably look elsewhere.

I notice no one here is talking about price. Hulu live tv is 39.99, Youtube is like 35, right? You can get Sling for $25 a month. Hard for me to justify paying that much more for a moderate upgrade in services. I have an Amazon smart TV anyway, (and an OTA Tivo), so I have something like 64 channels integrated into my TV's guide (a combination of Pluto and OTA) and plenty of programs recorded for me to watch (along with other streaming stuff like Amazon Prime and my $1 a month Hulu commercial plan), I'm good with just streaming ESPN (on Sling) when Alabama is playing. I don't need much else from the plan.

Last edited:

smokies1

1st Team
Jul 10, 2005
Sling was terrible for me, youtubetv has been great, used it all season without a single issue.

Rolltidewill92

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 11, 2018
Thanks for not blowing me up Bazza, longtime lurker and occasional poster so I'm still figuring out how to work the site.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I use sling.. usually sign up in late august and cancel in january. The low cost and ease of getting out/back in has kept me using it.
That's how I use it typically. I think people who expect more of the entire cable TV experience (especially if they invest far more into TV, have a large 4K TV and so on) are not pleased, but for what it is, I'm perfectly happy with it. Why would I pay more when I'm mainly getting it for one reason?

Also, I'd add that services are rapidly changing so it is worthwhile to periodically check and see how one is doing relative to the others.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for not blowing me up Bazza, longtime lurker and occasional poster so I'm still figuring out how to work the site.
No worries, Will....we're all here to help each other (for the most part anyway :))

Plus the fact that some of us enjoy sticking it to the man, when the opportunity arises...lol.....

Those 2 links were supposed to be for different threads.....not sure if it worked so try this one too:

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297444

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Youtube TV did great. But, at $40/month for me, I just cancel after the season ends (January usually being the last month). You can watch the Super Bowl for free I think on CBS Sports site. I won't turn this back on until beginning of Sept.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You can watch the Super Bowl for free I think on CBS Sports site. I won't turn this back on until beginning of Sept.
This really has to be heavily emphasized. ESPN has darn near a monopoly on college football, bowl games, etc... but unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you're going to get the major (broadcast) networks over the air. There's no need to be watching on a website unless they have some free on demand offerings.

For example, my TV gets 40 channels (not counting the free 24 Pluto streaming channels I mentioned earlier, which are basically low budget versions of what you'd get on cable, though some are there as well I believe), some are repeats, some are things I'd never watch, but still that's ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW, etc... so when you take something into consideration, it really shouldn't matter much in terms of those sort of offerings since literally an old pair of rabbit ears will get you those channels. You can augment this with various other free streaming services (Tubi, Crackle, etc...), to have a lot of programming available without any fees at all and that's really the key to cord cutting.

When I do have a service like Sling or DirectTV Now, I'm generally underwhelmed by the other offerings and don't spent much time watching them. For me it is mainly about ESPN and their exclusive programming. If someone is going to cord cut, the first priority should be to ease reliance on pay services entirely, so when you do pay (as you alluded to) you're only paying for exactly what you need.

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I have used Sling for a couple of years. It always seems to lock up on big games. I just figured the demand outweighed their broadcast bandwidth capabilities. It goes off in January, about 5 minutes after the championship game this year. Back on for Game of Thrones in April though.

Rolltidewill92

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 11, 2018
On Veterans Day last year we got a great discount on a 4K high speed 55 inch toshiba you can talk to and tell it to change the channel that came with a 30 day free trial of sling, just noticed it in the paperwork so I'll try it for b-ball season then experiment with Hulu and YouTube. Thanks for all the input. If it's not football or basketball season I'm either reading or tinkering and I hate paying 100 bucks for something I only use 1/3 of the year.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’ve used both Sling TV and Direct TV Now extensively. I like Direct TV Now much better for a few reasons-
1) If you’re an ATT customer you get a discount. I’m paying $40 per month for the middle package. It’s regularly $55.
2) If you’re an ATT customer you can stream Direct TV Now data free.
3) You get locals included.
4) There’s little to no delay where as Sling TV has a delay of at least 1 minute.
5) You get multiple streams & DVR at no extra cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.