Sling tv for bama ball?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have YouTubeTV, but it is paused until football season starts. No need for me paying for something I don't watch. I'll pause it again January. Seemed very good and very crisp and clear. Good local stations, too. I'm interested if it buffers any when the games come on due to network traffic.
So far I have not had any issues when watching sporting events. We'll see how it goes with college football in less than 45 days...

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I dropped AT&T U-Verse and went with DirecTV Now. I was an early adopter of the service and locked in a great rate for the package I received. Initially CBS wasn't included in the local changes, so I purchased CBC All Access for $5.99/month. Of course, I didn't mind spending the extra $6 for CBS since I dropped AT&T U-Verse and its $250 price tag. My DirecTV Now subscription also allows me to stream ESPN.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have YouTubeTV, but it is paused until football season starts. No need for me paying for something I don't watch. I'll pause it again January. Seemed very good and very crisp and clear. Good local stations, too. I'm interested if it buffers any when the games come on due to network traffic.
I have never had buffering issues with Hulu. As has been stated there is a slight delay (about 5-10 seconds).

claybamaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2003
Trussville, Al. USA
Last year I had Hulu TV for the 1st time during football season. Me and my brother always text after a Bama touchdown when we aren't watching it together. He has Directv through the satellite. He was always about 30 seconds to a minute ahead of me so sometimes I would know it way before it happened. I hope that it isn't as bad as last year on that, but very clear rarely buffers.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Last year I had Hulu TV for the 1st time during football season. Me and my brother always text after a Bama touchdown when we aren't watching it together. He has Directv through the satellite. He was always about 30 seconds to a minute ahead of me so sometimes I would know it way before it happened. I hope that it isn't as bad as last year on that, but very clear rarely buffers.
I noticed the 30 second delay on some games but not all.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So far I have not had any issues when watching sporting events. We'll see how it goes with college football in less than 45 days...
I haven't commented on this thread for a while, but I had massive issues with it buffering last year. I think it may have had more to do with the Roku I have; I never determined with any certainty. Anyway, I cancelled YouTubeTV and am considering Hulu for this season. I now have AT&T Fiber for Internet service since we moved, and am getting legit 300 to 400 mbps DL speeds over WiFi, so that side of the equation isn't going to be a problem. I may retry YouTube, we'll see.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
When I had the Roku + Sling, my buffering issues were due to lower Internet speed + router placement in the house relative to the Roku stick. Since we moved, the router is in the same room as Chromecast, and we switched over to YouTubeTV to be able to watch our channels on the same setting as the local channels. Plus, I've been able to watch more of my other sports teams games on YouTubeTV and the channels don't exist on Sling. Overall, we've been very pleased.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I want to cut the cord so badly. Just can’t take the plunge.
Live sports is really the hardest thing to deal with. Without ESPN you are missing a lot, and to get just ESPN it starts at $25 a month and works its way up from there.

But, I will say in general it's kind of fun for me to figure out all the other options. I just got an Amazon Recast (with easily expandable storage), and while I didn't really need it, the live broadcast TV/DVR on my phone/tablet/what ever I want it on is neat Also I'm getting used to using Pluto more, in my hotel room I was watching Misfit Garage on Discovery, come home and find Misfit Garage on Pluto's Cars channel.

If you just ignore the elephant in the room, live sports, having something like Netflix, OTA DVR, and things like Pluto and you're gonna have about as much TV as you can care to watch.

Live sports is really the hardest thing to deal with. Without ESPN you are missing a lot, and to get just ESPN it starts at $25 a month and works its way up from there.

But, I will say in general it's kind of fun for me to figure out all the other options. I just got an Amazon Recast (with easily expandable storage), and while I didn't really need it, the live broadcast TV/DVR on my phone/tablet/what ever I want it on is neat Also I'm getting used to using Pluto more, in my hotel room I was watching Misfit Garage on Discovery, come home and find Misfit Garage on Pluto's Cars channel.

If you just ignore the elephant in the room, live sports, having something like Netflix, OTA DVR, and things like Pluto and you're gonna have about as much TV as you can care to watch.
Yeah, I got you on that. But the size of the elephant in the room in my household is a bit on the extremely huge side. We watch a lot of football and basketball. I do believe that after this football season I’m going to take the plunge into stream only.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
When I had the Roku + Sling, my buffering issues were due to lower Internet speed + router placement in the house relative to the Roku stick. Since we moved, the router is in the same room as Chromecast, and we switched over to YouTubeTV to be able to watch our channels on the same setting as the local channels. Plus, I've been able to watch more of my other sports teams games on YouTubeTV and the channels don't exist on Sling. Overall, we've been very pleased.
I have started having buffering issues too since more homes have been built in this neighborhood. I will see if I can move my router like you did. Is there another way to make my internet signal stronger in the other parts of my house?

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I have started having buffering issues too since more homes have been built in this neighborhood. I will see if I can move my router like you did. Is there another way to make my internet signal stronger in the other parts of my house?
In my experience, it all depends on the speed coming into your house. Before we moved to our current house, there was only one place the Internet came into the house, and that was in the master bedroom. Our current house has multiple places where the Internet comes into the house now. If you have multiple devices using the Internet through the wifi, you may want to see if you can get a router that video gamers use; it would give you more bandwidth from which your devices can use. I do think it helps that our wifi has 2 settings, so we're able to use some of our devices on the 5 GHz and others on the 2.4 GHz.

Tucker13

Feb 13, 2017
Live in the Atlanta market. Have AT&T Fiber optics for internet only. Service is exceptional never fails. I do not have cable. I use an antenna works for me all locals full HD free. I tried all the options finding for me Roku +Sling was best and easiest to use. Buffering issues are solely due to a slower internet speed. I run 100+ so buffering no issue. Also cost, my Sling with all sports is $30/month. YouTube was pushing $50+ HULU did not perform well for me. My internet plus Sling is under $80/month

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but I did not want to start a new one for one question. I am switching t.v. providers and I am comparing packages. If I get one package I get ESPN, ESPN2, and SECN. If I go one tier up I get ESPN3, ESPNnews, and ESPNU added. I am wandering how many bama games are likely to be on the additional channels and if it is worth the extra charge. Oh and there are a bunch of other non sports channels added too but I mainly only watch sports and the news.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but I did not want to start a new one for one question. I am switching t.v. providers and I am comparing packages. If I get one package I get ESPN, ESPN2, and SECN. If I go one tier up I get ESPN3, ESPNnews, and ESPNU added. I am wandering how many bama games are likely to be on the additional channels and if it is worth the extra charge. Oh and there are a bunch of other non sports channels added too but I mainly only watch sports and the news.
Alabama hasn't been on ESPNU since 2011.

ESPNews only airs Bama games when another game is running late and that only lasts a few minutes.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I started using youtubetv and have been very pleased with it.
When I cut the cord, I checked out the major streaming services. My wife and I made list of shows we wanted to watch...
I briefly thought about SLING, but rejected it, they had problems streaming big games.
We chose YOUTUBE TV.
YouTube met our requirements, it was , more expensive than SLING, but much cheaper than ATTUVERSE. I'm a happy camper.
Fast forward to today, I wish I had cut the cord sooner.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
If I get one package I get ESPN, ESPN2, and SECN. If I go one tier up I get ESPN3, ESPNnews, and ESPNU added. I am wandering how many bama games are likely to be on the additional channels and if it is worth the extra charge.
I’ve always been a sports junkie, so I always wanted ESPNU and ESPN News. However, but since the SECN rolled out, both of those channels have become nearly obsolete in my opinion. They are mainly for broadcasting alternate content, lower priority conference games, and reruns. Unless watching the once in a blue moon Bama basketball game on ESPNU is a priority, you’ll be just fine skipping them.

ESPN3 you should have access to either way. That’s just ESPN’s online and mobile platform for accessing content. Your normal tv subscription should give you access to any programming on their app that originated on a channel in your package. (The only exception would be content that is designated as ESPN+, which is from their $5 a month subscription service)

• Thank You
Reactions: uafanataum

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
We’re not too far away when all sports will be pay per view. Bottom line is only the top 50 football teams are worth the price anyway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.