VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I see Democrats & Democrat groups calling for his resignation.
    I did not vote for the guy and I would not demand his resignation over the blackface photos (although I would ask him whether he thinks today that the KKK is "funny") and I would not ask for his resignation over this infanticide comments (although I think it is proper to ask him to clarify his comments on WTOP).
    I would evaluate the resignation from office issue based on his responses.
    If he said, "No, given the opportunity to do that evening over, I would not make a joke of the KKK and no, if a severely deformed but viable baby is delivered, I would not advocate or even allow the murdering through neglect of such an infant," I would accept those clarifications at face value and urge him to get back to work for the people of the Commonwealth.
    Tempest in a teacup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I did not vote for the guy and I would not demand his resignation over the blackface photos (although I would ask him whether he thinks today that the KKK is "funny") and I would not ask for his resignation over this infanticide comments (although I think it is proper to ask him to clarify his comments on WTOP).
    I would evaluate the resignation from office issue based on his responses.
    If he said, "No, given the opportunity to do that evening over, I would not make a joke of the KKK and no, if a severely deformed but viable baby is delivered, I would not advocate or even allow the murdering through neglect of such an infant," I would accept those clarifications at face value and urge him to get back to work for the people of the Commonwealth.
    Tempest in a teacup.
    he didn't make "infanticide" comments. that's republican spin.

Republicans accuse Northam, who worked as a pediatric neurologist before his election, of supporting infanticide,
    and wrt to his pictures, he is only explaining and clarifying because this came to light. i think he needs to step aside.
    Last edited by 92tide; February 2nd, 2019 at 07:33 AM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Second Team

If not mistaken this was his med school yearbook.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    he didn't make "infanticide" comments. that's republican spin.
    Read it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gov. Ralph Northam
    Third-trimester abortions ... are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with consent of the physician, multiple physicians by the way, and it’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities or there may be a fetus that’s nonviable. In this particular example if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen, the infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother. So I think this was blown out of proportion.”
    Northam is drawing a distinction between 'severely deformed" and "nonviable" infants (his words, not mine). "Nonviable" infants do not need to be resuscitated. In fact, resuscitation is impossible for nonviable infants. (For the record Tran's bill does not embrace any such limits for third trimester abortions.)
    and wrt to his pictures, he is only explaining and clarifying because this came to light. i think he needs to step aside.
    You may get your way. He is my governor and I would place the blackface episode in the larger context of saving the lives and improving the health of probably thousands of children including a large percentage of black children. I have no problem with a stupid college pic especially in light of his subsequent conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamadoc74 View Post
    If not mistaken this was his med school yearbook.

I believe you are correct, sir.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

What is his medical speciality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    What is his medical speciality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pediatric neuro.
    Just a barner.

"Hell yeah, we made it to the next round!"

*heartrate increases*

"Oh God, we made it to the next round!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

I took a wild guess as to who would start a thread about this mess. If I was right, I decided to have a deluxe breakfast to start the day. After checking this morning, I'm headed to get a custom made omelette with all the extras.

The GOP spin on his views on abortion don't bother me, but the KKK/blackface stuff is disqualifying.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I feel sure that his beliefs and philosophies toward race relations have changed since 1984. I also believe that as a physician he has helped many children and their families. We have no way to know what was in his heart then and after, but the fact remains his actions were offensive and certainly not becoming of the chief executive of the commonwealth of Virginia. Democrat or Republican he should step aside.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Honestly, he's a doctor, and he emphasized working with/on minority kids during his recent election campaign. At least that is what I recall his campaign ads emphasizing (and being a VMI alum, which is big in the Commonwealth).
    I do not think this kills him. He was a college student in the 1980s doing something dumb and insensitive. I never did anything this dumb/insensitive in front of a camera while I was a college student in the 1980s.
    He's lived an exemplary life since as an Army doctor that treated casualties in the Gulf War, and as a pediatric neurologist. Absent any proof of more recent, or a pattern of racism, I'd give him a pass.

FB|BB Moderator

Several thoughts:

Northam did something stupid, even in the context of the 1980s. As my mother says, we all climb Fool's Hill at some point. Some of us come back down. Others don't. Based on his life after college, Northam seems to be one of the former, with the misfortune of a photographic record of his long-ago time on the hill.

How nobody noticed this in the intervening 35 or so years, I don't know. As others have posted, Republican opponent research was tremendously lacking.

Add this to the growing list of mainstream media screw-ups. CNN calls him a Republican, because that fits their pre-conceived notion that no Democrat could possibly have done something like this at any time in his life. Other Democrats come to his defense.

Can you imagine the outcry if Northam were in fact a conservative Republican? It would be all Northam all the time. Deafening and never-ending. But as it is, journalistic mistakes are lightly touched, if they're acknowledged at all. Logical inconsistencies are let lie, and all the cameras and microphones are pointing in other more confirming directions..

Add this to the Catholic kid in the MAGA hat, the thug who provoked a stoic Native American, showing us all how mean and nasty conservative kids have been brainwashed. Except it turns out he was the bullied one, and handled it with class far beyond his years. And the sweet irony is that what brought all this to light is a video shot by one of the most radical left groups in the country.

Or the Empire actor who was mugged in Chicago by racist homophobes wearing MAGA hats and shouting slurs and "MAGA Country". Except that it now looks like it didn't happen that way....that was just what reporters wanted to have happened. The mugging was bad, and the perps deserve to be severely punished. But even the victim is backing away from the more political parts of the narrative, and decrying "inaccuracies in reporting."

On abortion in general, I feel strongly both ways, and actually think SCOTUS got it right in the initial ruling. Before three months strikes me as the right dividing line. Rape, incest, life of the mother, fine. But Northam's advocacy of third trimester, when the child is actually viable (I have a great nephew who was born at 6 months)....I just don't know how anybody can not see that as murder.

In fact, we often do. If a third party kills a pregnant woman, the killer is often charged with two murders -- the mother and the unborn child. So it's "control over her body" if the mother willingly contracts for the death of a six-month fetus, but murder if somebody else does it?

The mental gymnastics on that are mind-boggling, and I'm no longer even a bit surprised that Northam and other proponents aren't called out to reconcile the inconsistency.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; February 2nd, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

STOP the presses!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/02/polit...oto/index.html

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has told a source he now believes it is not him in a racist yearbook photo and that he has no recollection of taking the photo, according a top Virginia Democratic source who spoke to the governor on Saturday.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.