VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I feel sure that his beliefs and philosophies toward race relations have changed since 1984. I also believe that as a physician he has helped many children and their families. We have no way to know what was in his heart then and after, but the fact remains his actions were offensive and certainly not becoming of the chief executive of the commonwealth of Virginia. Democrat or Republican he should step aside.
    This is really interesting.
    His actions in 1984 were not an endorsement of the KKK. He was (awkwardly) attempting humor through the juxtaposition of a KKK member keeping company with a black person.
    To Republicans, he is a cudgel with which to beat Democrats. Criticizing him has nothing to do with really improving race relations. He is a convenient tool to be discarded when no longer useful.
    To Democrats, he is a receptacle into which all their hatred of white supremacy can he thrown, and discarded like a used condom.

Do you honestly believe Ralph Northam believes in white supremacy or endorses the KKK? The photo was from 34 years ago he is mocking the KKK. I see no reason to believe he believed in white supremacy and endorsed the KKK even in 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Read it again.

Northam is drawing a distinction between 'severely deformed" and "nonviable" infants (his words, not mine). "Nonviable" infants do not need to be resuscitated. In fact, resuscitation is impossible for nonviable infants. (For the record Tran's bill does not embrace any such limits for third trimester abortions.)

You may get your way. He is my governor and I would place the blackface episode in the larger context of saving the lives and improving the health of probably thousands of children including a large percentage of black children. I have no problem with a stupid college pic especially in light of his subsequent conduct.
    i read it the first time and and then re-read it and think the same thing.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    i wonder if he makes it until next weekend.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The Shaggy Defense I see.

Pelosi has cancelled him though, he's done, arguably the most powerful democrat politician in the country has called for him to step down. Guess what is next?
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

1. The GOP is clearly trying to blow Northam's remarks into something they're not. I have friends who suffered this exact sort of tragedy; his remarks are accurate.

2. Furthermore, the idea that it should take three doctors to approve a late-term abortion is the same sort of nonsense as the Texas and Louisiana bills--a transparent attempt to place so many barriers as to make it impractical.

3. Given his subsequent record, I'd say he's demonstrated that he's moved beyond the idiocy of youth. The recent announcement that he doesn't think it's him and he has not recollection of ever doing that, though, is odd. Why didn't he take that position from the beginning?

4. In any event, he's Virginia's problem; here in Alabama, we have more than our share of state-level embarrassments.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Out of the frying pan......

It was a joke. A very bad, senseless joke, but a joke, nevertheless. I remember now why I never ran for office past the college level...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

FB|BB Moderator

Let's face human nature: is there any part of your presence in HS or college yearbooks you're not 1,000% aware of, having periodically opened the up over the years, reliving old days?

And this is the best he can come up with, 35 years after the fact, and a week into the fecal storm? "It's been on my page for 35 years, but I don't think it's me. Or, at least, I have no recollection of that picture. I have no idea how it got there."

Really? That's worse than the picture taken of a college kid doing something stupid. It's telling the general public he believes that they (the public) are benighted enough to buy it.

Please. It was the dumb act of a bulletproof college kid a long time ago. Own it.

I don't like Northam's politics, but I'm not hanging him out to dry for this -- there are far too many far more substantive things to disagree on.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; February 2nd, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It was a joke. A very bad, senseless joke, but a joke, nevertheless. I remember now why I never ran for office past the college level...
    I'm just so glad youtube and facebook did not exist when I was younger. It's bad enough that some things I've posted here will keep me off the judiciary and other public appointed positions.

Not condoning or making excuses, but *newsflash* stupid young people do stupid things.

I hope we haven't gotten to the point that a stupid youthful mistake means you are barred from employment or serving your fellow man in public office for life.

That said, an apology combined with real action to make a difference to improve the lives of minorities would go a long way. That will never be enough for some, but if all we do is punish the bad man without learning something deeper then I'm afraid the lesson is "don't make pictures when doing stupid things" rather than something more that may not only change the conversation but the direction of people and government. That may not be the popular opinion, but the majority is not always right. If he feels this makes him incapable of doing his job effectively then he should resign.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Let's face human nature: is there any part of your presence in HS or college yearbooks you're not 1,000% aware of, having periodically opened the up over the years, reliving old days?

And this is the best he can come up with, 35 years after the fact, and a week into the fecal storm? "It's been on my page for 35 years, but I don't think it's me. Or, at least, I have no recollection of that picture. I have no idea how it got there."

Really? That's worse than the picture taken of a college kid doing something stupid. It's telling the general public he believes that they (the public) are benighted enough to buy it.

Please. It was the dumb act of a bulletproof college kid a long time ago. Own it.

I don't like Northam's politics, but I'm not hanging him out to dry for this -- there are far too many far more substantive things to disagree on.
    All I did was post the information. Frankly, this change in his statements is more reason to resign IMO than the original story.

It looks like you posted this just prior to my subsequent post above. It is true that if my life was recorded - even at that age - it might not stand up to public scrutiny. That was exponentially stupid for someone at that age with ambition to run for public office.

I do wish we learned a lesson from this different than "hide your stupidity and racism so you don't lose everything down the line" because that's all it seems we are learning. We aren't learning that people can grow or change. We aren't learning that doing something like this should make you redouble your efforts to learn and advocate for change that benefits minorities. We aren't learning that one should admit their mistakes and do what they can to make society better for more people.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I'm just so glad youtube and facebook did not exist when I was younger. It's bad enough that some things I've posted here will keep me off the judiciary and other public appointed positions.

Not condoning or making excuses, but *newsflash* stupid young people do stupid things.

I hope we haven't gotten to the point that a stupid youthful mistake means you are barred from employment or serving your fellow man in public office for life.

That said, an apology combined with real action to make a difference to improve the lives of minorities would go a long way. That will never be enough for some, but if all we do is punish the bad man without learning something deeper then I'm afraid the lesson is "don't make pictures when doing stupid things" rather than something more that may not only change the conversation but the direction of people and government. That may not be the popular opinion, but the majority is not always right. If he feels this makes him incapable of doing his job effectively then he should resign.
    My last semester in law school, I interviewed for a DOJ job. I had already been granted a tuition scholarship from NYU equivalent to $64K in today's dollars, so, not much chance I would take the job anyway. I thought the interview went well until the final question: "Do you advocate the overthrow of lawfully constituted authority by violent means?" I looked at him a long time and finally said "Whose?" That wouldn't do. Had to be "yes" or "no." No explanations. So, I said "yes," all the time wondering if this idiot had ever heard of the American Revolution. This was Viet Nam era - demonstrations, etc. There was no tolerance for a snippy answer. Later, I realized that that answer would be in my FBI file forever. Probably even until now...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My last semester in law school, I interviewed for a DOJ job. I had already been granted a tuition scholarship from NYU equivalent to $64K in today's dollars, so, not much chance I would take the job anyway. I thought the interview went well until the final question: "Do you advocate the overthrow of lawfully constituted authority by violent means?" I looked at him a long time and finally said "Whose?" That wouldn't do. Had to be "yes" or "no." No explanations. So, I said "yes," all the time wondering if this idiot had ever heard of the American Revolution. This was Viet Nam era - demonstrations, etc. There was no tolerance for a snippy answer. Later, I realized that that answer would be in my FBI file forever. Probably even until now...
    Ironic that America was doing exactly that at the time and has many other times.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    1. The GOP is clearly trying to blow Northam's remarks into something they're not. I have friends who suffered this exact sort of tragedy; his remarks are accurate.

2. Furthermore, the idea that it should take three doctors to approve a late-term abortion is the same sort of nonsense as the Texas and Louisiana bills--a transparent attempt to place so many barriers as to make it impractical.

3. Given his subsequent record, I'd say he's demonstrated that he's moved beyond the idiocy of youth. The recent announcement that he doesn't think it's him and he has not recollection of ever doing that, though, is odd. Why didn't he take that position from the beginning?

4. In any event, he's Virginia's problem; here in Alabama, we have more than our share of state-level embarrassments.
    there were two or three big greek costume parties at bama in the late 80s that had a lot of folks who dressed up in black face. i'm really surprised more of those haven't surfaced

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon