VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    And of course his party is defending him.
    yeah, that didn't age too well.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement
    FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Yeah, Old South was going on long before the 1980's, at universities throughout the country, especially in the South.
    True. I know from my parents that it was an annual event at the UA KA house at least as far back as the early 1950s. How much further back than that, I don't know.

Off topic, but a funny story: In the late '70s / early '80s, the Phi Delta Thetas had a spring theme party called Hell's Angels. Dress like bikers, pose with and/or ride motorcycles, dates dressed accordingly, etc., etc.

As was common practice then (and I assume still is), they had t-shirts printed up to commemorate. While it was a printed t-shirt, it had a reasonably realistic copy of the HA banner, logo and rocker on the back.

Fast forward to a summer break road trip to Key West. Several of the Phis are sitting in a KW bar wearing the shirts, when some real Hell's Angels walked in. In quite short order, the frat boys counted themselves lucky to be walking back to their hotel barefoot and shirtless.

I've always wished I'd been there to see the moment play out.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; February 3rd, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    True. I know from my parents that it was going on at least as far back as the early 1950s. How much further back than that, I don't know.

Off topic, but a funny story: In the late '70s / early '80s, the Phi Delta Thetas had a spring theme party called Hell's Angels. Dress like bikers, pose with and/or ride motorcycles, dates dressed accordingly, etc., etc.

As was common practice then (and I assume still is), they had t-shirts printed up to commemorate. While it was a printed t-shirt, it had a reasonably realistic copy of the HA banner, logo and rocker on the back.

Fast forward to a summer break road trip to Key West. Several of the Phis are sitting in a KW bar wearing the shirts, when some real Hell's Angels walked in. In quite short order, the frat boys counted themselves lucky to be walking back to their hotel barefoot and shirtless.

I've always wished I'd been there to see the moment play out.
    That group has historically had quite the knack for getting themselves into unique trouble...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    yeah, that didn't age too well.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1091566602292744192

I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-American

Man, I spend a day hiking in the woods and I'm totally lost as to what I'm supposed to be outraged over.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    Man, I spend a day hiking in the woods and I'm totally lost as to what I'm supposed to be outraged over.

I'm outraged at people who spend their day hiking in the woods and don't know what they're supposed to be outraged over. Dammit man, you don't need quickbooks to tell which way the asset depreciates!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I am not seeing the level vitriol directed toward Northam that was directed at the teenagers from Covington.

Personally, I don't care whether he resigns or not; but I do think he should lose his medical license.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aledinho View Post

I am not seeing the level vitriol directed toward Northam that was directed at the teenagers from Covington.

Personally, I don't care whether he resigns or not; but I do think he should lose his medical license.
    On what grounds? He did something stupid 35 years ago?

Now show me something more recent that affected his practice of medicine and I might agree.

I hope everyone grows and makes changes or learns something useful and positive from things like this but this propensity to destroy people and families for mistakes from decades ago is a little overboard.

I do understand the gut feeling, though. What he has done is repulsive and vulgar, but broadening the scope a bit are we to deprive every family of every person who ever made stupid choices a way to put food on the table and in cases like this patients the choice to see this doctor or not?

Again, I get the sentiment but it seems short sighted and does nothing to address the core issues.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Aledinho View Post

Why should he lose his medical license for this? I could see how doing some racist things in the past may make you politically defunct but it doesn't seem to make him a bad doctor all the sudden.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

I think they are referring to Northam's comments about abortion.

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/1/1820542...-ralph-northam

Gov. Northam, a Democrat, was asked about the bill in a radio interview on Wednesday, and his response only added to the controversy. Appearing to discuss what would happen if a child was born after a failed attempt at abortion, he said, “the infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

Some took Northam’s comments as an endorsement of infanticide. “In just a few years pro-abortion zealots went from ‘safe, legal, and rare’ to ‘keep the newborns comfortable while the doctor debates infanticide,

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

While what he did 30-something years ago was reprehensible, I know that a lot of us have done stupid things in our youth and early 20s that they wished they could take back.

Sen. Robert Byrd was a member of the Klan, and he repudiated that. He may have been asked to resign(I don't know), but he never resigned, and served honorably in Congress for decades.

As far as I know, the Gov. didn't break any laws. Certainly, there was no rapey accusations that were covered up by partisan politics as in Judge Kavanaugh's case.

When I was in college, the Kappa Alphas used to dress up in Confederate uniforms and ride horses thru campus, toting a Confederate flag. I am pretty sure blackface factored into their Old South celebrations. I guess any one of those guys would face similar retribution today.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I took a wild guess as to who would start a thread about this mess. If I was right, I decided to have a deluxe breakfast to start the day. After checking this morning, I'm headed to get a custom made omelette with all the extras.

The GOP spin on his views on abortion don't bother me, but the KKK/blackface stuff is disqualifying.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I took a wild guess as to who would start a thread about this mess. If I was right, I decided to have a deluxe breakfast to start the day. After checking this morning, I'm headed to get a custom made omelette with all the extras.

The GOP spin on his views on abortion don't bother me, but the KKK/blackface stuff is disqualifying.
    Look, I don’t like Northam’s politics, and can come up with any number of reasons not to support him. But this picture isn’t on the list.

If the blackface / KKK thing were an accurate reflection of his true views, I would agree that it’s disqualifying. But there is no reason whatsoever to believe that.

A long time ago, in his youth, he did something stupid. Is there anybody who didn’t?

Jeez, guys, if we disqualify from public office everybody who did a really dumb thing somewhere between the ages of 15 and 25, we’ll have no government at all.

Northam didn’t hurt anybody in any way. He didn’t steal. He didn’t cheat on his taxes. He didn’t sell illegal drugs. He didn’t destroy property. He didn’t even break the law. Hell, if he had, he’d be getting better treatment.

But to today’s mob sensibilities, he did something much worse....35 years ago, he did something that was, at the time, moderately offensive. Compounding the original act, he had the misfortune that, as society has evolved, we find now find his sin to be highly offensive. Further compounding the whole thing, there’s a photographic record.

Even though I’d never support most of his political positions, I actually feel sorry for the poor schmuck.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; February 4th, 2019 at 01:17 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.