VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It was a joke. A very bad, senseless joke, but a joke, nevertheless. I remember now why I never ran for office past the college level...
In my case............................there were no longer professors to rail against. At that point, what was the point?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
there were two or three big greek costume parties at bama in the late 80s that had a lot of folks who dressed up in black face. i'm really surprised more of those haven't surfaced
You might be thinking of Kappa Alpha's annual Old South days, where the frat boys dresses in confederate uniforms (officers, of course) and there dates dresses in hoop skirts out of Gone With the Wind. To complete the atmosphere, they always hired black servers.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You might be thinking of Kappa Alpha's annual Old South days, where the frat boys dresses in confederate uniforms (officers, of course) and there dates dresses in hoop skirts out of Gone With the Wind. To complete the atmosphere, they always hired black servers.

yep, that was one of them. i don't know if it was ka or one of the sororities had a "who rides the bus" theme party that caused a big stir. it was basically a dress as a black stereotype party

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My last semester in law school, I interviewed for a DOJ job. I had already been granted a tuition scholarship from NYU equivalent to $64K in today's dollars, so, not much chance I would take the job anyway. I thought the interview went well until the final question: "Do you advocate the overthrow of lawfully constituted authority by violent means?" I looked at him a long time and finally said "Whose?" That wouldn't do. Had to be "yes" or "no." No explanations. So, I said "yes," all the time wondering if this idiot had ever heard of the American Revolution. This was Viet Nam era - demonstrations, etc. There was no tolerance for a snippy answer. Later, I realized that that answer would be in my FBI file forever. Probably even until now...
Hypothetical question......what would you do if one of our forum members posted some comments about hoping the USA burns and declaring himself an enemy of the US.

Would it depend on the context of the thread discussion?

Do you go full stop regardless of anything else, and take some sort of action?

Report this to LE?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Yeah, Old South was going on long before the 1980's, at universities throughout the country, especially in the South.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Something called "Old South" just seems implicitly racist without knowing any context whatsoever. lol

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hypothetical question......what would you do if one of our forum members posted some comments about hoping the USA burns and declaring himself an enemy of the US.

Would it depend on the context of the thread discussion?

Do you go full stop regardless of anything else, and take some sort of action?

Report this to LE?
I would think he was a nut. What does this have to do with my post?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, Old South was going on long before the 1980's, at universities throughout the country, especially in the South.
True. I know from my parents that it was an annual event at the UA KA house at least as far back as the early 1950s. How much further back than that, I don't know.

Off topic, but a funny story: In the late '70s / early '80s, the Phi Delta Thetas had a spring theme party called Hell's Angels. Dress like bikers, pose with and/or ride motorcycles, dates dressed accordingly, etc., etc.

As was common practice then (and I assume still is), they had t-shirts printed up to commemorate. While it was a printed t-shirt, it had a reasonably realistic copy of the HA banner, logo and rocker on the back.

Fast forward to a summer break road trip to Key West. Several of the Phis are sitting in a KW bar wearing the shirts, when some real Hell's Angels walked in. In quite short order, the frat boys counted themselves lucky to be walking back to their hotel barefoot and shirtless.

I've always wished I'd been there to see the moment play out.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True. I know from my parents that it was going on at least as far back as the early 1950s. How much further back than that, I don't know.

Off topic, but a funny story: In the late '70s / early '80s, the Phi Delta Thetas had a spring theme party called Hell's Angels. Dress like bikers, pose with and/or ride motorcycles, dates dressed accordingly, etc., etc.

As was common practice then (and I assume still is), they had t-shirts printed up to commemorate. While it was a printed t-shirt, it had a reasonably realistic copy of the HA banner, logo and rocker on the back.

Fast forward to a summer break road trip to Key West. Several of the Phis are sitting in a KW bar wearing the shirts, when some real Hell's Angels walked in. In quite short order, the frat boys counted themselves lucky to be walking back to their hotel barefoot and shirtless.

I've always wished I'd been there to see the moment play out.
That group has historically had quite the knack for getting themselves into unique trouble...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Man, I spend a day hiking in the woods and I'm totally lost as to what I'm supposed to be outraged over.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I am not seeing the level vitriol directed toward Northam that was directed at the teenagers from Covington.

Personally, I don't care whether he resigns or not; but I do think he should lose his medical license.
On what grounds? He did something stupid 35 years ago?

Now show me something more recent that affected his practice of medicine and I might agree.

I hope everyone grows and makes changes or learns something useful and positive from things like this but this propensity to destroy people and families for mistakes from decades ago is a little overboard.

I do understand the gut feeling, though. What he has done is repulsive and vulgar, but broadening the scope a bit are we to deprive every family of every person who ever made stupid choices a way to put food on the table and in cases like this patients the choice to see this doctor or not?

Again, I get the sentiment but it seems short sighted and does nothing to address the core issues.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.