Game Thread: Pluck the War Eagle!

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
exactly..we had no chance from the opening tip with them being the home team. was just a matter of when they start making 3's. one thing Pearl has done is established a group of high energy athletes that can run the floor. Perfect for his system. That is a matchup nightmare for us, when we are turning the ball over and not making shots. It is what it as on that front. My biggest concern is our lack of ball handling. Our passes are lazy at every position. Our guys dont have good hands and a lot of times the turnovers are basically just losing the ball. i'd guess we lose at least 10-15 quality shot attempts because of lazy passes/bad hands per game. im still 100 percent behind our guys. JMHO.. Still a long ways to go to get where we want to be as a basketball program..

Man Auburn is athletic. Do we have anyone on our team that would crack their starting 5? They are lightning quick. If they shoot the ball like this every night they can't be beat. Even when we had position on some plays their guys just seemed to jump a little higher or were a little quicker to the rebounds. Not sure how you defend this team when they are hitting 3's from that deep and than top it off with guys who can all beat their man one on one it seemed. Just not sure how you beat a team that hot tonight.

Last edited:

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
This team has shown plenty of fight. If you watched the game last night we didn't lose due to lack of effort. The same thing you said about LSU last night could be said about us after the Tn. game. They hit some shots near the half court line consistently which made us stretch our defense further. They got away with a lot of fouls also that kept us from running our offense and lead to some of those turn overs. Taking nothing away from them last night they were the better team.
Good points about the TN game. I guess I am jinxing the team by getting my hopes up and wanting to see them play the ball like you mentioned. Got to win all the home games and hope to get a few in the SEC tourney to play in the dance. It would be nice to see us steal one here in there on the road (like Arkansas did to LSU).

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I agree that Auburn got away with a lot of contact when defending the ball handler and others on the perimeter with bumps and hand checks that were not called. This magnified Auburn's quickness and athleticism on defense; they can be very good even if forced to back off a little.

There were a few good shots by Bama that the players took quickly off the pass; any hesitation and Auburn defenders were back in their face.

I'm thinking Bama will win in Tuscaloosa but it will take some shooting. Fewer turnovers and more shots going in are two ways to take away Auburn's fast breaks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I continue to be baffled at certain players playing that can not help us on the offensive side...actually hurt us. I don't care how good you are on defense, you've got to be able to contribute a little on the offensive end.

It seems like we've written a book about CAJ rotation patterns, but there are times that we don't have anyone on the floor that can gives us a decent scoring threat.

It's flat out sickening watching a team like Auburn have 5 guys on the floor and all of them can score. Can we not recruit somebody other than dynamic point guards who can shoot the ball???

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Really disappointed in this years team. Plain and simple, we are not very good. NIT here we come.
This might come as a surprise to some, but Alabama is still very much in contention to play in the NCAA tournament. The conference schedule was pretty front heavy this year.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
This might come as a surprise to some, but Alabama is still very much in contention to play in the NCAA tournament. The conference schedule was pretty front heavy this year.
Yeah, this is one of those situations where it’s never as bad as it seems. Bama is still in as of now.

Think if Bama can get to at least 6 wins out of the 10 remaining, Bama will be dancing.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Thanks RTR91. I know it was a bad loss but I am surprised at some of the gloom and doom comments. Some are acting like the Aubs had 5 NBA guys on the court but they are just coming off losing 3 SEC games in a row. We have a good team and with as competitive as the SEC is this year you are going to take it on the chin especially on the road.

Auburn gets up for Bama like no other and combine it with their crowd it was never going to be easy. Our schedule sets up good the rest of the way so lets win some games and make the tourney.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, this is one of those situations where it’s never as bad as it seems. Bama is still in as of now.

Think if Bama can get to at least 6 wins out of the 10 remaining, Bama will be dancing.
We may need 7, but we still have a great shot at getting there. The schedule is favorable on paper, but lose to one of the bottom feeders and we are done.
Georgia @ home Win
@ Vandy Win Bama's house of horrors
@ State loss
Florida @ home win-toss up
@ A&M win
Vandy @ home win
@ Carolina toss up
LSU @ home toss up
Boogs @ home win
@ Arky loss

I think it may come down to Florida or us. Florida beats us we are NIT bound. 5-5 is a very real possibility ending with us 9-9. I do not think that gets us in. We'll be 18-13 going into the SEC tourney. 6-4 is a must and 7-3 gets us securely into the big dance.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
We may need 7, but we still have a great shot at getting there. The schedule is favorable on paper, but lose to one of the bottom feeders and we are done.
Georgia @ home Win
@ Vandy Win Bama's house of horrors
@ State loss
Florida @ home win-toss up
@ A&M win
Vandy @ home win
@ Carolina toss up
LSU @ home toss up
Boogs @ home win
@ Arky loss

I think it may come down to Florida or us. Florida beats us we are NIT bound. 5-5 is a very real possibility ending with us 9-9. I do not think that gets us in. We'll be 18-13 going into the SEC tourney. 6-4 is a must and 7-3 gets us securely into the big dance.
I think 5-5 the rest of the way gets us in the dance IMO. With our schedule and the amount of quality wins already we will be in. This isn’t like it used to be in which 20 wins was the magic number. We have a great resume, plus this is a very weak bubble. I think we dance for the second straight year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
At this point, how can there not be some gloom and doom comments? This team is Jekyll and Hyde at best and that is not good for a basketball team. Reason being is that on any given night, you don't know what you are going to get. Look at the high level teams in the country...you know what you are going to get from them night in and night out. As much as I want them to win, the fact is we cause a lot of our own problems whether it is coaching or player performance. Some of the mistakes we make I see in middle school games. College level players should not be doing some of the stuff we do. I do not know what the answer is but I will keep cheering for them. Plus I despise losing to AU in anything.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
At this point, how can there not be some gloom and doom comments? This team is Jekyll and Hyde at best and that is not good for a basketball team. Reason being is that on any given night, you don't know what you are going to get. Look at the high level teams in the country...you know what you are going to get from them night in and night out. As much as I want them to win, the fact is we cause a lot of our own problems whether it is coaching or player performance. Some of the mistakes we make I see in middle school games. College level players should not be doing some of the stuff we do. I do not know what the answer is but I will keep cheering for them.
You mean like the two top ten teams that lost over the last five days?

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
When I watch Duke, Tennesssee (this year), Michigan St, UNC and others, I know what to expect from the team in terms of effort, strategy, etc...with Bama, I don't know what to expect. Being a former player (HS and college) as well as coaching, that was never good if you did not have an identity.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When I watch Duke, Tennesssee (this year), Michigan St, UNC and others, I know what to expect from the team in terms of effort, strategy, etc...with Bama, I don't know what to expect. Being a former player (HS and college) as well as coaching, that was never good if you did not have an identity.
Michigan State just lost at home to 13-9 Indiana. UNC lost at home to Louisville by 19 a few weeks ago, and they had absolutely no effort in the game (I watched in amazement).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.