Game Thread: SUPER BOWL LIII - Sunday, Feb. IIIrd. V:XXX P.M. CT. CBS.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Well, he's one of the best ever at a live performance. High bar.

Seriously though, I feel like the NFL missed an opportunity by not just making this an ATL music scene takeover. Throw enough money on the table to get an Outkast reunion and sprinkle in the rest with locals or those associated with locals. Personally I think the political climate made that too hard of an ask for these risk-adverse NFL owners. The NFL has gotten off their boomer rock kick after Janet's wardrobe malfunction and now they mostly just pick a pop artist about 5-10 years after they should've had them.
Maroon 5 had a #1 song last year , and I don’t buy that it should of been an all Atlanta show, I think they should get who is hot now! Regardless of where they are from . The next Super Bowl in New Orleans shouldn’t be an all Jazz/zydeco show. With all that said, people make too big a deal of the halftime entertainment. It’s a football game for crying out loud! Halftime use to be for making a second half beer /Guacamole run!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Maroon 5 had a #1 song last year , and I don’t buy that it should of been an all Atlanta show, I think they should get who is hot now! Regardless of where they are from . The next Super Bowl in New Orleans shouldn’t be an all Jazz/zydeco show. With all that said, people make too big a deal of the halftime entertainment. It’s a football game for crying out loud! Halftime use to be for making a second half beer /Guacamole run!
Atlanta has a pretty meaningful place in modern popular music. I think in this case it would've worked out well and been fun for all involved. I don't think every halftime needs to be a taste of local culture but in this particular case it would've worked.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, you can have a recent #1 hit and still be past your peak in terms of stardom in my opinion. They didn't get Gaga or Katy Perry at their respective peaks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I thought that the rendition of America the Beautiful was better than the National Anthem.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also, you can have a recent #1 hit and still be past your peak in terms of stardom in my opinion. They didn't get Gaga or Katy Perry at their respective peaks.
Maroon 5 was more of a desperation pick due to Rihanna backing out. With Some of the names floating around that were willing to do it on a months notice I think they picked the best one.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I thought that the rendition of America the Beautiful was better than the National Anthem.
America the beautiful was excellent. I am not familiar with those sisters but they are both excellent and whoever arranged that song did a stellar job.

Gladys Knight is my all time favorite female singer. I love the syrupy quality of her voice, great vocal range, and command of her voice. And not that it matters but she is 74 tears old and still has world class chops.

America the Beautiful is just a way better song than the National Anthem.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My issue with the game last night was that I couldn’t believe these were the two best teams in football. Neither offense played well.

At at least in the 55-10 game we were left with a championship team that had played well.

The Titans would have beaten the Pats last night. It was just a poorly played game. Lots of defenses would have looked good against these offenses.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Sorry NFL but you'll never beat this one......

[video=youtube;7NN3gsSf-Ys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=7NN3gsSf-Ys[/video]
Yeah, I agree with this. There was one shot during that show of Prince standing at the end of the stage playing and sounding like Hendrix with literally sheets of rain coming down.

Respect.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
My issue with the game last night was that I couldn’t believe these were the two best teams in football. Neither offense played well.

At at least in the 55-10 game we were left with a championship team that had played well.

The Titans would have beaten the Pats last night. It was just a poorly played game. Lots of defenses would have looked good against these offenses.
The Pats defense was fantastic. The Titans wouldn't have gotten 10 points last night. They probably wouldn't have scored at all.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The Titans without a healthy Marriotta probably wouldnt have crossed the 50 vs the Patriots tis last month. The only teams that probably had a shot last night are KC, Pittsburgh, Philly, and LA. You either need an elite defense that can limit Brady with an above average offense, An uncanny postseason qb on a better than average team, or an offense that cant be stopped. Tennessee had none of those. I just dont see anyone realistically beating them last night outside the Chiefs and Steelers (yeah I know Pittsburgh didnt make it to the playoffs but their weapons and their defensive front puts them in a better position to beat them than most anyone).

As far as a blowout super bowl vs a defensive struggle.... I still cant finish blowouts but can finish struggles. The only exception was the Seattle-Denver game for 3 reasons: 1) I had something riding on it 2) I got tired of the unstoppable offense argument for the previous month and a half and 3) I dont like Peyton for the 95 game. But SB 48 was a horrible super bowl.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The Pats defense was fantastic. The Titans wouldn't have gotten 10 points last night. They probably wouldn't have scored at all.
The Titans without a healthy Marriotta probably wouldnt have crossed the 50 vs the Patriots tis last month. The only teams that probably had a shot last night are KC, Pittsburgh, Philly, and LA. You either need an elite defense that can limit Brady with an above average offense, An uncanny postseason qb on a better than average team, or an offense that cant be stopped. Tennessee had none of those. I just dont see anyone realistically beating them last night outside the Chiefs and Steelers (yeah I know Pittsburgh didnt make it to the playoffs but their weapons and their defensive front puts them in a better position to beat them than most anyone).

As far as a blowout super bowl vs a defensive struggle.... I still cant finish blowouts but can finish struggles. The only exception was the Seattle-Denver game for 3 reasons: 1) I had something riding on it 2) I got tired of the unstoppable offense argument for the previous month and a half and 3) I dont like Peyton for the 95 game. But SB 48 was a horrible super bowl.
Good grief, guys, the comment about the Titans wasn’t meant to be taken so literally. A lot of defenses would have looked good against the Rams or Pats last night. That’s all. I could have said the Chargers, Bears, or Seahawks.

FWIW, the Titans beat the Pats 34-10 in November in another game where Brady struggled. But nobody thinks the Titans belong in the Super Bowl.

To each his own with the blowout or struggle. The Bama/ND game was a pleasure to watch. It depends on your personal interest in the game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Good grief, guys, the comment about the Titans wasn’t meant to be taken so literally. A lot of defenses would have looked good against the Rams or Pats last night. That’s all. I could have said the Chargers, Bears, or Seahawks.
you clearly said

How else am I supposed to take it other than you believe that the Titans wouldve beaten them? But this time without Mariotta... Had you said the Chiefs, Steelers, Philly, or someone that could’ve challenged their Dbs then maybe, but the Titans wouldve gotten blown out because Belichick wouldve totally shut down Henry like the Colts and Texans did.

FWIW, the Titans beat the Pats 34-10 in November in another game where Brady struggled. But nobody thinks the Titans belong in the Super Bowl.
1) with Mariotta
2) Brady and Belichick dont usually get had twice in a season by the same team. Look at KC this year

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
you clearly said

How else am I supposed to take it other than you believe that the Titans wouldve beaten them? But this time without Mariotta... Had you said the Chiefs, Steelers, Philly, or someone with a pulse from December on then maybe, but the Titans wouldve gotten blown out because Belichick wouldve totally shut down Henry like the Colts and Texans did.

1) with Mariotta
2) Brady and Belichick dont usually get had twice in a season by the same team. Look at KC this year
81, I’m sorry, brother, but I just don’t have time for this discussion right now because of a hectic day at work. I just thought there were several lowly NFL teams that could have beaten either the Rams or Pats last night because IMO, neither team looked like they had their A game. I can respect that you disagree.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
81, I’m sorry, brother, but I just don’t have time for this discussion right now because of a hectic day at work. I just thought there were several lowly NFL teams that could have beaten either the Rams or Pats last night because IMO, neither team looked like they had their A game. I can respect that you disagree.
I can accept that there are teams that could’ve had success vs these offenses last night even if I was to ignore that the 2 of the best defensive minds in history were coaching against each other ( Belichick and Phillips), but it’s more of the team you chose. The Titans have an injured QB and a team that both Brady and Belichick have seen this year. It’s that I just think it’s a stretch even though they beat the Pats.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
If one of those teams played someone else, obviously the game would have been different. Had the Pats played the Saints, I don't believe the Saints would have only scored 3 points, but it is also unlikely that NE would have only scored 13. Maybe the Saints could have won, but I would have still bet on the Pats in a higher-scoring affair.

When the game was over, I told a friend that I wouldn't be able to listen to any commentary about the game because it would all be about how dull and boring it was. And all because it wasn't 55-51 and a see-saw game. To me, it was the best Super Bowl I remember in many years, simply because the yards and points were so hard-fought for. I had no "team" in the game, but I was pulling for the Patriots because of my distaste for some Rams personnel and the way they got there.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I didn’t care who won. I hated the Pats this year because of their “nobody believes in us”. It reminded me of clempson. It just wasn’t true. No one who watches football was seriously doubting the Pats. I hate the Rams too. I hate that LA whined and complained so much about not having a team that now they have 2. Now keep in mind the NFL left LA because no one was going to the games. Basically, LA only cared about an NFL team when they didn’t have a team. I predict eventually these new LA teams will start to have mediocre years and no one will care again. I found it amusing that in a year where offenses ruled the NFL, it was defenses that ruled the most important NFL game. Sorry aints fans you don’t get to play Uncle Rico and say “we’d won if Goodell had just put us in.”

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
IMHO, one of the best Superbowls ever. My team was the clear winner - the defense. Those of us who watch to see a QB get harried to distraction do not get many games to enjoy any more. This was one such game. Brady did not win that game - he had little to do with the win. The Pats D got the job done. And the Rams made the GOAT look mortal and over the hill. Let's lift a glass to the big uglies!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.