Kyriq McDonald, Scott Meyer, and Anoma (Nevermind) Enter Transfer Portal

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Kyriq McDonald and Scott Meyer Enter Transfer Portal

Meyer was awarded a scholarship before the season began.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

He was the bomb covering Iggy at James Clemens. Wonder what the story is.
I would like to know too. I always wonder if the kids just can't quite pick up on the system to make an impact and if the newer players may be passing them by.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I would like to know too. I always wonder if the kids just can't quite pick up on the system to make an impact and if the newer players may be passing them by.
McDonald is an instinctive good athlete but IIRC he is 5' 9" which for a DB is a little too short for the position. I would think he has not progressed up the depth chart and wants to go somewhere where he can play.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

McDonald is an instinctive good athlete but IIRC he is 5' 9" which for a DB is a little too short for the position. I would think he has not progressed up the depth chart and wants to go somewhere where he can play.
Roster shows him at 5'11".

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I'd really like the 'Portal' to shut down. Not a fan.
Instead of a kid working harder to earn a slot, they opt out.
This is FREE AGENCY at its worst.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL

ST POTW (twice) shows promise for the future, if not as a starter at least in kicking game. Size shouldn’t be a big problem. Maybe he’ll change his mind.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Like early signing day I think I will wait another year and see how this plays itself out. This might be an advantage for all schools. Everyone has some players who won't start and when some of them leave we can look for other "non-starters" who might fit better here.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

As long as the coaches can come and go as they please, the kids should be able to as well. Manny Diaz was at Temple for like 17 days but that's no big deal, a kid finds out he doesn't like a program and he should be stuck there?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

There appears to be a pretty big misunderstanding of the transfer portal. All it does is let other schools know a player is considering a transfer. It takes the player's current school out of the equation when a potential landing spot wants to contact the player. That's it.

There's no free agency because of the transfer portal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

There appears to be a pretty big misunderstanding of the transfer portal. All it does is let other schools know a player is considering a transfer. It takes the player's current school out of the equation when a potential landing spot wants to contact the player. That's it.

There's no free agency because of the transfer portal.
I agree that it does not create some sort of free agency, but it is a little more than you suggest. If a player lists himself in the portal, the school that he is currently under scholarship with can drop his scholarship - effective immediately if he is between terms, or effective at the end of the current term if he is still in class. So, a player who lists himself in the portal also gives the school options with respect that player and his scholarship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.