Link: Father sues bullies after son named ‘most likely to shoot up school’

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

A Texas man is seeking $50,000 in damages and attorney fees from several middle students and their parents after his son was allegedly cyberbullied and called a likely school shooter.

Father Derek Rothschild says in January, a group of students at his son’s middle school started an online discussion about “who would be most likely to shoot up the school.” Rothschild’s son was voted to be a likely school shooter, according to the father.

As a result, the entire student body began to ostracize and ridicule the boy, says Rothschild’s attorney, Justin Nichols. He was also searched and interrogated by staff.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Well, if you can't after school special parents into parenting their children, maybe they can parent while they pick up scrap metal to pay for the damages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Well if I thought someone was actually likely to shoot up my school, I would not bully them. It seems like the opposite of what you should do.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My wife and I recently had a "bullying" experience with our middle school daughter. She was being bullied (physically and verbally) in the dressing room during her PE class. She hid it from us for approximately a month before we found out. There were three girls who felt the need to include my daughter in a "slapping" game where my daughter was the only one being slapped and made fun of. My wife attempted to address it with the school counselor and PE teacher first, before I got involved. But ultimately, a ticked off father whose only contribution to the meeting he was in was "Either you take care of it or I will" accomplished what the diplomacy attempts of a mother couldn't.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
My wife and I recently had a "bullying" experience with our middle school daughter. She was being bullied (physically and verbally) in the dressing room during her PE class. She hid it from us for approximately a month before we found out. There were three girls who felt the need to include my daughter in a "slapping" game where my daughter was the only one being slapped and made fun of. My wife attempted to address it with the school counselor and PE teacher first, before I got involved. But ultimately, a ticked off father whose only contribution to the meeting he was in was "Either you take care of it or I will" accomplished what the diplomacy attempts of a mother couldn't.
A man's got to do, what a man's got to do...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
A man's got to do, what a man's got to do...
When my daughter has welts across her legs and upper arms, is getting anxiety and dang near physically sick to go to PE everyday. But is afraid to tell us because she's afraid of the perps making it worse if she tells? I don't sit down at the table to "negotiate". It either gets fixed/addressed now or I embarrass us all. I'm fine with either option.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Good man.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When my daughter has welts across her legs and upper arms, is getting anxiety and dang near physically sick to go to PE everyday. But is afraid to tell us because she's afraid of the perps making it worse if she tells? I don't sit down at the table to "negotiate". It either gets fixed/addressed now or I embarrass us all. I'm fine with either option.
Glad it got taken care of. What were you planning on doing had it not been settled to your satisfaction?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Glad it got taken care of. What were you planning on doing had it not been settled to your satisfaction?

First let's define "Not to my satisfaction". The school doesn't take steps that I am satisfied with that stops the behavior.

-File an official complaint with the school board against the school which would normally generate an official "hearing".

-I've got two friends who work for two local news outlets. Stories like this (with pictures of welts on legs and arms) brings a lot of unwanted attention to the school board. (They've had enough in the last three years to last them two decades)

-If the above doesn't work, I know plenty of lawyers on a personal level who would love to take this case.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Bullying has been front and center for years now. There are always stories in the news, stop bullying campaigns and schools love to put up posters about bullying.

So I’m amazed when push comes to shove, that school administrators still seem to protect the bullies instead of helping the victims. I just don’t understand the mindset of these people. No adult ever wants to see their kid bullied so, why do these adults protect the bullies when it’s someone else’s kid?

This problem will never go away unless they are held accountable at every turn, maybe get kicked out of school if needed. They bully because the can, rarely get in trouble, because administrators rarely seem to care. Oh, but they put up posters in the hall that say don’t bully so they must care.

I hope this father gets every penny he can and makes these families’ lives miserable. Maybe next time the parents or school will actually step up and do something about it first.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
First let's define "Not to my satisfaction". The school doesn't take steps that I am satisfied with that stops the behavior.

-File an official complaint with the school board against the school which would normally generate an official "hearing".

-I've got two friends who work for two local news outlets. Stories like this (with pictures of welts on legs and arms) brings a lot of unwanted attention to the school board. (They've had enough in the last three years to last them two decades)

-If the above doesn't work, I know plenty of lawyers on a personal level who would love to take this case.
I'd also have a little man-to-man with the parents of the offending kids. Stop it at home and you stop it cold.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Bullying has been front and center for years now. There are always stories in the news, stop bullying campaigns and schools love to put up posters about bullying.

So I’m amazed when push comes to shove, that school administrators still seem to protect the bullies instead of helping the victims. I just don’t understand the mindset of these people. No adult ever wants to see their kid bullied so, why do these adults protect the bullies when it’s someone else’s kid?

This problem will never go away unless they are held accountable at every turn, maybe get kicked out of school if needed. They bully because the can, rarely get in trouble, because administrators rarely seem to care. Oh, but they put up posters in the hall that say don’t bully so they must care.

I hope this father gets every penny he can and makes these families’ lives miserable. Maybe next time the parents or school will actually step up and do something about it first.
The only thing I can think of that bullying is handled with such indifference by people put in charge to do something about it. Many times it is easier to deal with the victims parents rather than dealing with the parents of a kid who you're labeling a bully. We live in very different landscape when it comes to parents than when many of us grew up. Outside of overwhelming evidence, my parents was on the side of the teacher (not mine) when it came to handling issues. There were times when I think my parents KNEW I was right but still took the teacher's/school side just for principle. That simply isn't the case now days. My wife is an educator and deals with this tomfoolery on a daily basis. My wife has caught children literally cheating on classroom assignments and tests, only to be completely shocked that the parents STILL took up for their child to rationalize the behavior.

Parents flip out when they think you're "labeling" their kid or "picking on" them. But I do agree with what you're saying. You would think as hot of a topic as bullying has been. The schools would error on the side of being overly sensitive to it when dealing with it. But that simply isn't the case.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The only thing I can think of that bullying is handled with such indifference by people put in charge to do something about it. Many times it is easier to deal with the victims parents rather than dealing with the parents of a kid who you're labeling a bully. We live in very different landscape when it comes to parents than when many of us grew up. Outside of overwhelming evidence, my parents was on the side of the teacher (not mine) when it came to handling issues. There were times when I think my parents KNEW I was right but still took the teacher's/school side just for principle. That simply isn't the case now days. My wife is an educator and deals with this tomfoolery on a daily basis. My wife has caught children literally cheating on classroom assignments and tests, only to be completely shocked that the parents STILL took up for their child to rationalize the behavior.

Parents flip out when they think you're "labeling" their kid or "picking on" them. But I do agree with what you're saying. You would think as hot of a topic as bullying has been. The schools would error on the side of being overly sensitive to it when dealing with it. But that simply isn't the case.
School administrators are bureaucrats. They don't like the boat rocked. More work...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
School administrators are bureaucrats. They don't like the boat rocked. More work...
I've seen it happen also when central office school administrators or staff overrule the local school administrator, particularly for principals since they're contract only (i.e., not tenured as principals).

Through my experience as a teacher, and future administrator, I've come to really believe that the environment and protocols the principal creates for his/her teachers goes a long way in helping have happy teachers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.