The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 90
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,737

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    From the OP's link:

    First lady's box
    Headlining the president's guest list is Matthew Charles.



    In 2016, after serving 21 years in prison, Charles won early release. He got a job and started volunteering, but less than two years later he was sent back to prison after an appeals court found there had been a mistake with his release.
    He was released from prison again earlier this year, just weeks after Trump signed the First Step Act into law. The criminal justice law, which reduced sentences for certain federal drug crimes, among other provisions, may be Trump's crowning bipartisan achievement from his first two years in office.
    Thanks for the article . 2 things from the article stand out to me. 1 a life sentence or even 25 year (most of one's non-retirement age adult life) should never be an option in drug related cases. 2, the article argues that long prison sentences do not help prevent crime. I disagree just based upon anecdotal evidence from dealing with people. Long prison sentences based upon the people I have interacted with certainly have prevented crime. I know this sounds like I am arguing with myself because in one breath I am against long prison sentence and in another I am for them but you have to pay attention to what I say. Drug crimes where you only hurt people that willingly partake in these substances is not worthy of ruining someone's adult life. I think these harsh sentences should be reserved for violent crimes.
    ETA. I just realized I derailed the thread from sotu to prison sentences but I really think our criminal justice system needs some help.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,089

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    Thanks for the article . 2 things from the article stand out to me. 1 a life sentence or even 25 year (most of one's non-retirement age adult life) should never be an option in drug related cases. 2, the article argues that long prison sentences do not help prevent crime. I disagree just based upon anecdotal evidence from dealing with people. Long prison sentences based upon the people I have interacted with certainly have prevented crime. I know this sounds like I am arguing with myself because in one breath I am against long prison sentence and in another I am for them but you have to pay attention to what I say. Drug crimes where you only hurt people that willingly partake in these substances is not worthy of ruining someone's adult life. I think these harsh sentences should be reserved for violent crimes.
    ETA. I just realized I derailed the thread from sotu to prison sentences but I really think our criminal justice system needs some help.
    It's important that this man was released after congress changed our racist laws treating crack cocaine differently than other forms. No one should pretend what happened to this man was by accident.'

    It's good he's been let go but there's so much more that needs to be done.

    Back to the SOTU:

    Some good, some bad. The 10 year old girl and WWII soldiers and holocaust survivors were moving.

    I want us out of the middle and far east. I liked that part.

    Lots to criticize.

    The dem response should be interesting.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  4. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    8,451

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Nope. I was awake to see that year end with a bang.
    Interesting way of spelling criminal enterprise.

  5. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,786

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Well the response Stacey Abrams is giving is a great reflection on why she lost. She is so pathetic. Go find some blue state to run into the ground you socialist.

  6. #31
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,089

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Opposition response was pretty well on target.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  7. #32
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,786

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Interesting way of spelling criminal enterprise.
    More like spelling the year America was saved from becoming a 3rd world country.

  8. #33
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,686

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Go Gators.

  9. February 5th, 2019, 11:01 PM

    Reason
    No personal attacks.

  10. #34
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,737

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    More like spelling the year America was saved from becoming a 3rd world country.
    How was America saved from becoming a third world country in 2016? Is there some major event I missed?

  11. #35
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,089

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Guys, we're only two worlds above Ethiopia. Razor thin margins are in play. One democrat woman gets elected and we may be two worlds behind Ethiopia. That would make us fifth world.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  12. #36
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,786

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    DELETED
    Clearly not since I actually don’t own one.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; February 6th, 2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: quote

  13. #37
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,737

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Guys, we're only two worlds above Ethiopia. Razor thin margins are in play. One democrat woman gets elected and we may be two worlds behind Ethiopia. That would make us fifth world.
    Why did I imagine this in Trumps voice.

  14. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    20,705
    Thread Starter

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET

    Didn't get to see the whole thing but liked what I did see. The president came across as presidential first and foremost.

    Obviously if you're a Trump hater, the whole thing stunk....lol.....

    Let the fisticuffs fly......


  15. #39
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    20,705
    Thread Starter

    Re: The 2019 SOTU (State of the Union) - tonight at 9 PM ET


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar