Game Thread: UGA @ Alabama (8 pm tip, SECN) - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: UGA @ Alabama (8 pm tip, SECN)

It appears the 2018-2019 team has become part of what many wanted - a better offensive team. Unfortunately, the defense has taken a hit because of it.

Up almost 3 points per game from last year's average. Up 2.7 rebounds per game from last year. Rebound margin is up 5 more a game. 3FG% is up. FT% is up. Scoring margin also increased.

PPGA is up (70.6 to 72.4). Assists, blocks, and steals are down, though.

Bama plays better when in transition, which mainly happens from rebounds and turnovers. One has been solid. Need the other to get better over the next few weeks.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    It appears the 2018-2019 team has become part of what many wanted - a better offensive team. Unfortunately, the defense has taken a hit because of it.

Up almost 3 points per game from last year's average. Up 2.7 rebounds per game from last year. Rebound margin is up 5 more a game. 3FG% is up. FT% is up. Scoring margin also increased.

PPGA is up (70.6 to 72.4). Assists, blocks, and steals are down, though.

Bama plays better when in transition, which mainly happens from rebounds and turnovers. One has been solid. Need the other to get better over the next few weeks.
    I thought we might be better offensively by losing Sexton. Nobody developed around him last year. Seems Kira is developing into a great offensive threat without having to be the focal point. That's usually the preference you'd want out of a point guard.

But losing Sexton might explain the defense not being quite as good. He could check anybody's 1 or 2.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    I agree. We had to win last night, and we really need to win Saturday, but I don't have any confidence going to Nashville. It is an understatement to say that we haven't fared very well there over the last 30 years.
    We will win this one.. I hope.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I thought we might be better offensively by losing Sexton. Nobody developed around him last year. Seems Kira is developing into a great offensive threat without having to be the focal point. That's usually the preference you'd want out of a point guard.

But losing Sexton might explain the defense not being quite as good. He could check anybody's 1 or 2.
    I just checked the numbers. While steals are down, defensive rebounds are up and blocks are about the same.

Defensive rebounds per game, steals per game, and blocks per game combined:

2016: 35.8
    2017: 36.7
    2018: 37.6
    2019: 36.3

Would like to get the PPGA down.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

We are progressively getting better each year which is all you can ask. If we just play reasonably decent defense, we could potentially win out, but we all know we just aren't that consistent. This is a team that beat UK so we can beat any team one any given night. The problem is we just seem to lose focus at times. Mack has shown he can shoot, and rebound, but he sometimes forgets he has to stop the other teams players as well. I do think we are a better team when he is on the court. We need Donta to quit sulking and just play. He is pretty good when he wants to be, but he doesn't always want to be. It was encouraging to see Galin Smith play well in limited minutes. Hopefully he can build off of that going forward. I thought Giddens gave us some quality minutes as well.

Oddly enough I told my wife just before the game Kira Lewis may be wearing down. Boy was I wrong. He may turn out to be one of the best PG's we have every had if continues to develop. I also thought Dazon had one of his best games. He had a ton of assists and shot the ball well when he was open. I hope we send a Shaman to the gym at Vanderbilt to exercise the demons living there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    We are progressively getting better each year which is all you can ask. If we just play reasonably decent defense, we could potentially win out, but we all know we just aren't that consistent. This is a team that beat UK so we can beat any team one any given night. The problem is we just seem to lose focus at times. Mack has shown he can shoot, and rebound, but he sometimes forgets he has to stop the other teams players as well. I do think we are a better team when he is on the court. We need Donta to quit sulking and just play. He is pretty good when he wants to be, but he doesn't always want to be. It was encouraging to see Galin Smith play well in limited minutes. Hopefully he can build off of that going forward. I thought Giddens gave us some quality minutes as well.

Oddly enough I told my wife just before the game Kira Lewis may be wearing down. Boy was I wrong. He may turn out to be one of the best PG's we have every had if continues to develop. I also thought Dazon had one of his best games. He had a ton of assists and shot the ball well when he was open. I hope we send a Shaman to the gym at Vanderbilt to exercise the demons living there.
    You need to send the refs glasses, and let Petty have 2-3 hours on the court all by himself. He will either have 30 pts or will be launching them into the bleachers
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post

They are not getting Donta the ball. He has been open when some guys have drove to the basket for easy dunks and they just have not gotten him the ball. He may be frustrated at the lack of offensive touches.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation All-SEC aerospace_ray's Avatar

I like when we play aggressive defense. RTR
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)

BamaNation All-SEC aerospace_ray's Avatar

Lewis has that all night. RTR
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)