Georgia with the #1 recruiting class?

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
The ranking is just a number and doesn't mean much. The gap between #1 and #2 in terms of talent is minimal. Now it's down to what both can do with that talent. Honestly both teams finished really strong. Does it matter who Rivals announced as #1? We're #1 on a number of other services. It's all subjective and we'd be silly to not be tremendously pleased by this class even if we were a little shallow on ILB.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I enjoyed JessN's article on grading Bama's position recruiting haul and wonder if he or someone here will do the same for the rest of the SEC teams and maybe a few of the top national contenders. Filling needs is the main thing for each team regardless recruiting rankings by stars and points systems. Did Georgia for instance grade as well as Bama per position? Or LSU, Texas A&M, so forth?

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
In the last 24 hrs. UGA has picked up two more players. One is a 6'5" starting WR from Miami named Lawrence Cager and Eli Wolf a starting TE from Tenn.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
As expected Georgia sports talk radio is really tooting their horn over their "#1 recruiting class." They think they are winning a title for sure this year because "Hurts is gone and Tua has no back-up." I would die laughing if Tua's little brother were to come in and beat them.
We have a QB who has been in our system for years, and 2 Freshmen QBs that everyone wanted. Georgia sold their soul to get Justin Fields and now he is gone and they have nothing as a backup. They’re dumb.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In the last 24 hrs. UGA has picked up two more players. One is a 6'5" starting WR from Miami named Lawrence Cager and Eli Wolf a starting TE from Tenn.
Both transfers, not counted in the recruiting classes. If UGA was desperate for a TE how did 3 Star recruit Tyler Fromm from Warner Robbins, GA sign with auburn?

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Let it go
Agree Chop. Say this though, if Kirby Smart doesn`t win a national championship in the next two years, with the talent they`ve accumulated, he ought to be banished forever from Athens. No excuses ( well, with the possible exception of the only two teams that are close to them in talent, us and Auburn with a lake ). What are my takers that CNS wouldn`t with UGA`s talent? If the UGA fans don`t have that expectation, then Mark Richt scarred them for life as far as what they`ve come to expect and are satisfied with is concerned.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
A 6’4” 205 pound tight end.....Ooooooooh

Don’t forget you also lost Deangelo Gibbs' to UT.
Wolf is 6'4" 236 lbs. according to this article. He also represented the Vols as a Captain during SEC Media days. A few weeks under Scott Sinclair and he'll be 245+lbs. He's an insurance policy.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-uga-eli-wolf-tennessee-transfer-kirby

I expect Cager to have more of an impact on offense. At 6'5" and sticky hands, he makes a nice Red Zone target.

Gibbs had off the field issues and those troubles prevented him from breaking through on the field. I wish him the best at UT.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Agree Chop. Say this though, if Kirby Smart doesn`t win a national championship in the next two years, with the talent they`ve accumulated, he ought to be banished forever from Athens. No excuses ( well, with the possible exception of the only two teams that are close to them in talent, us and Auburn with a lake ).
The only problem for Kirby and Georgia is that we're not the only program accumulating talent. Clemson and Bama aren't going anywhere, as this article points out.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/2/7/18157817/alabama-saban-school-spending-program-recruiting

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The only problem for Kirby and Georgia is that we're not the only program accumulating talent. Clemson and Bama aren't going anywhere, as this article points out.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/2/7/18157817/alabama-saban-school-spending-program-recruiting
What you`ve said is quite true. Alabama and Clemson are indeed there with UGA talent wise. The question that`s begged is this. Do the Georgia faithful expect Kirby and company to overcome those hurdles within the next two years and win a national championship? If not, why not ? Are they content to always be " close " ? Is there a tacit, unspoken acceptance that as long as CNS is at Alabama, everyone else, including UGA, will play second fiddle until he retires?

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
Agree Chop. Say this though, if Kirby Smart doesn`t win a national championship in the next two years, with the talent they`ve accumulated, he ought to be banished forever from Athens. No excuses ( well, with the possible exception of the only two teams that are close to them in talent, us and Auburn with a lake ). What are my takers that CNS wouldn`t with UGA`s talent? If the UGA fans don`t have that expectation, then Mark Richt scarred them for life as far as what they`ve come to expect and are satisfied with is concerned.
Who are they going to get that will even put them in the ballpark of what Kirby has already done with them? I think people overestimate the talent gap in the SEC and think that it's a given that if a recruiting class is loaded it means it's just down to coaching. There are other variables in play and there are teams, like us, who have been recruiting just as successfully as Georgia. That said, I'd be shocked if they're not a lock for easily winning the east for the foreseeable future.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I agree for next year...after that, Florida and UTe are coming...
Who are they going to get that will even put them in the ballpark of what Kirby has already done with them? I think people overestimate the talent gap in the SEC and think that it's a given that if a recruiting class is loaded it means it's just down to coaching. There are other variables in play and there are teams, like us, who have been recruiting just as successfully as Georgia. That said, I'd be shocked if they're not a lock for easily winning the east for the foreseeable future.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I agree for next year...after that, Florida and UTe are coming...
Perhaps. I think we're seeing some forward momentum with both, particularly Florida. However, I need to see more progress before I think either is going to legitimately challenge Georgia.

I will say this: if Mullen is as good with identifying, recruiting, and developing a QB at Florida as he was at Mississippi State, it could definitely get interesting. I just don't think Franks is that guy unless they REALLY shore up their OL and keep him out of pressure situations.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Dan Mullin is going to give uga headaches...

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
What you`ve said is quite true. Alabama and Clemson are indeed there with UGA talent wise. The question that`s begged is this. Do the Georgia faithful expect Kirby and company to overcome those hurdles within the next two years and win a national championship? If not, why not ? Are they content to always be " close " ? Is there a tacit, unspoken acceptance that as long as CNS is at Alabama, everyone else, including UGA, will play second fiddle until he retires?
I think it's well documented the Georgia faithful expect to win a national championship under Kirby Smart. Heck if you check with a certain segment of our delusional fan base, they will tell you we'll win a Natty every year. I'm a bit more realistic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.