What can we take away from this year's recruting rankings ...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Since it seems that everything is pretty much wrapped up for the 2019 recruiting season, though it would be interesting to take a deeper look at the results nationally:

• The PAC 12 only has one team in the top ten, the next team is Washington at 15 (ESPN, 17 on 247Sports)

• SEC West continues to be loaded with talent with Bama, TAMU and LSU boasting top 5 teams

• The SEC ends up with 5 teams in the top 10 ... the next conference is the Big 12 with two.

• This is the first time since 2010 the Ohio State doesn't have a top ten recruiting class.

• USC has 0 5-stars in this class.

• UM is the only B1G team in the top ten

• Oregon has the first top ten class in over 10+ years The next highest ranking was 12(?) in 2010

• This is the first top ten class for UF since 2014

Anyone see anything else that stands out?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
We have a signing day curse. I think we lose more than we win here lately. I'm not complaining about the class, just that it seems we fizzle out on signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
We have a signing day curse. I think we lose more than we win here lately. I'm not complaining about the class, just that it seems we fizzle out on signing day.

Staff turnover probably hurt more than many realize.....................that as well as playing time and negativity across the league..............

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Its all relative honestly ... all I can say is we today have the number one class and have been in the top ten with recruiting for almost a decade. There are going to be programs that have wins that look bigger than what they are but the key is can they sustain it like CNS has in the midst of staff turnover and attrition to the NFL?

We've done good at filling a majority of our needs in sustaining where others are either trying to get talent or develop depth. Only Clemson, OSU are arguably the only two programs that have similar level of depth (and mind you I said depth ... not talent). Its several programs that have a good range of talent but not depth.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I understand the perception but we did sign three high rated 4 star players today at need positions. That is more of a bang than a fizzle. Could have been better...could have been worse but overall, very, very nice class indeed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

You mean the day Trey Sanders, Evan Neal, and Ish announced they’re going to Bama?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Staff turnover has damaged our ability to land recruits but landing a #1 or #2 under these circumstances is hard to be upset about. Bottom line is we need to do a better job of taking the mid level recruits and getting mileage out of them. We had too many guys sitting on the bench last year. We need to develop these guys. I realize they have to earn their way on the field. but part of that is coaching.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, you can say we had the number one recruiting class. And yes, it does take a little of the bloom off the rose, when you don't get a couple of guys at the end you really wanted. But we got what we needed, and got a lot of very good players. I just hope we can keep coaches around long enough to insure the players proper development.

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
Staff turnover has damaged our ability to land recruits but landing a #1 or #2 under these circumstances is hard to be upset about. Bottom line is we need to do a better job of taking the mid level recruits and getting mileage out of them. We had too many guys sitting on the bench last year. We need to develop these guys. I realize they have to earn their way on the field. but part of that is coaching.
I am just a casual, but very interested, observer, but I think you’re onto something.
There were many games last season that were basically over by halftime, or early in Q3.
i still can’t understand why starters were not pulled earlier, both to develop the “next men up,” and, also, to reduce the obvious injury risk to the starters.
Then, again, my base pay is $0.000.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Not sure if this topic was supposed to be about our class in particular, but I'll go there since most others have. Obviously an awesome class; insane DL haul (Alfano, Eboigbe, Young, Sopsher... the list keeps going; so many that have legitimate star potential and there's not a weak link in the group) and OL and DB are very impressive as well. Only hangups are WR, where we really should've done more (likely going to be a lot of pressure to bring in a mega haul of talented WRs next cycle) and ILB, where some whiffs could leave a mark (don't get me wrong, Harris and Lee are very nice prospects, but Lee is a step slower than I'd like and Harris has an even-greater-than-usual learning curve ahead of him; Harris does have serious potential though - we'll just have to hope ILB is something that comes naturally to him).

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think that the general consensus is that this is a historically significant class. There is not a doubt in my mind that any of the other 129 DI schools would trade classes with us if they could. I just hope that we have the guys on staff to develop these players so that they can reach some very high goals they will no doubt place upon themselves. I think that everyone is tired of this constant turnover of staff, and it most likely cost us two high profile players yesterday. Hopefully these guys can recruit AND coach.

rtr

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
We can’t get them all. I know that is a shock for some based on their comments. Bama just signed a class which consists of more top 300 Recruits than ever. A great class! Roll Tide!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
BAMA FANS, I SWEAR, SMH! The greatest class in the history of ESPN 300 ! But not good enough! Picked up the greatest recruit That will be the greatest player in the history of Alabama Football! Not good enough!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If anyone is wondering about this class or disappointed with losing a couple yesterday, just go read Jess N's wrap up.

This class will be the base for another NC.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Since it seems that everything is pretty much wrapped up for the 2019 recruiting season, though it would be interesting to take a deeper look at the results nationally:

• The PAC 12 only has one team in the top ten, the next team is Washington at 15 (ESPN, 17 on 247Sports)

• SEC West continues to be loaded with talent with Bama, TAMU and LSU boasting top 5 teams

• The SEC ends up with 5 teams in the top 10 ... the next conference is the Big 12 with two.

• This is the first time since 2010 the Ohio State doesn't have a top ten recruiting class.

• USC has 0 5-stars in this class.

• UM is the only B1G team in the top ten

• Oregon has the first top ten class in over 10+ years The next highest ranking was 12(?) in 2010

• This is the first top ten class for UF since 2014

Anyone see anything else that stands out?
To get back to the OP's message, in the state of California only 6 of the top 30 players inked with an in-state school. That is a wow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.