What can we take away from this year's recruting rankings ...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If anyone is wondering about this class or disappointed with losing a couple yesterday, just go read Jess N's wrap up.

This class will be the base for another NC.
Yes, another great wrap up by Jess. I found myself realizing just how much talent is on that team and will be augmented by this excellent class. Sure, we missed on a couple that we all would have liked to have had but it was an amazing class nonetheless.

Now, I wonder what it would be like if we had a coaching staff that could and would stick around for 3, maybe 4 years?? Develop relationships with high schools? Kids that are now Fr. and Sophs. in high school? That would be so foreign to us that we wouldn`t know how to act!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I am just a casual, but very interested, observer, but I think you’re onto something.
There were many games last season that were basically over by halftime, or early in Q3.
i still can’t understand why starters were not pulled earlier, both to develop the “next men up,” and, also, to reduce the obvious injury risk to the starters.
Then, again, my base pay is $0.000.
My take - CNS was playing the defensive starters deeper into blowouts because of inexperience on the back end and trying to make them a more cohesive unit. We can't always win on talent alone so scheme, knowledge and execution are key going into championship season.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
To get back to the OP's message, in the state of California only 6 of the top 30 players inked with an in-state school. That is a wow.
That IS pretty crazy ... I went back and checked other hotbed recruiting states and none of the others come close. Most of the other states are double the number. I wonder if that is an indictment on the PAC-12?

According to 247Sports, USC had 26 commits this year ... 18 of them are 3 stars (The remaining 8 are 4 stars). The previous year they had 18 commits and only ONE was a 3 star ...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That IS pretty crazy ... I went back and checked other hotbed recruiting states and none of the others come close. Most of the other states are double the number. I wonder if that is an indictment on the PAC-12?

According to 247Sports, USC had 26 commits this year ... 18 of them are 3 stars (The remaining 8 are 4 stars). The previous year they had 18 commits and only ONE was a 3 star ...

Most of their 5 star guys bailed, and the one that signed , transferred! Listening to Jim Mora, the ex Falcons coach and west coast guy, said there is a good reason why West coast kids are leaving the PAC 12 in general and SC in particular. The SEC schools are putting 80-90,000 in the stands for Spring Practice Games , and the Trojans barely put 40,000 in The stands for regular season games . And now Los Angeles has 2 NFL teams that are competing for NFL championships. The interest just isn’t there in the fanbase. Kids want to go to a place that playing football is special!

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Certainly it is an indictment against the PAC 12. Nobody in that league is playing championship football currently. I think Oregon is the closest to doing that but as bad as the rest of the league is right now it is going to be tough for them to get into the play-off anytime soon. Helton is on a very, very hot seat and don't see him surviving.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Since it seems that everything is pretty much wrapped up for the 2019 recruiting season, though it would be interesting to take a deeper look at the results nationally:

• The PAC 12 only has one team in the top ten, the next team is Washington at 15 (ESPN, 17 on 247Sports)

• SEC West continues to be loaded with talent with Bama, TAMU and LSU boasting top 5 teams

• The SEC ends up with 5 teams in the top 10 ... the next conference is the Big 12 with two.

• This is the first time since 2010 the Ohio State doesn't have a top ten recruiting class.

• USC has 0 5-stars in this class.

• UM is the only B1G team in the top ten

• Oregon has the first top ten class in over 10+ years The next highest ranking was 12(?) in 2010

• This is the first top ten class for UF since 2014

Anyone see anything else that stands out?
Having just returned from Trojanland I can tell you that SC fans are not happy with Helton. It's a shocker they signed no 5*'s in the class. Has to be a first. Lynn Swann should fill up the Brinks truck and pay a visit to Brent Venables. I don't know if he's HC material, but he can't be any worse than what's recently cycled through that place. No five star RB - sacrilege.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Having just returned from Trojanland I can tell you that SC fans are not happy with Helton. It's a shocker they signed no 5*'s in the class. Has to be a first. Lynn Swann should fill up the Brinks truck and pay a visit to Brent Venables. I don't know if he's HC material, but he can't be any worse than what's recently cycled through that place. No five star RB - sacrilege.
Yep. Under Carroll that was the norm.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Certainly it is an indictment against the PAC 12. Nobody in that league is playing championship football currently. I think Oregon is the closest to doing that but as bad as the rest of the league is right now it is going to be tough for them to get into the play-off anytime soon. Helton is on a very, very hot seat and don't see him surviving.
The biggest thing - the west coast teams are losing out on almost all of their own linemen (both sides of the ball). Those players used to stay out west - now they are signing elsewhere (most notably, in the south). It is hard to play championship football without solid play on the LOS. The PAC will get weaker and weaker if they cannot fix this.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I agree with you. An unreal class overall, but really need Harris to be a winner at ILB. He certainly has ability, and looks very competitive on film. Lee is physical and tough, but I agree with your assessment. Losing Dean to GA stung more than any other player; Kaho was the biggest factor there. Hope his development goes to the next level in the spring.
Not sure if this topic was supposed to be about our class in particular, but I'll go there since most others have. Obviously an awesome class; insane DL haul (Alfano, Eboigbe, Young, Sopsher... the list keeps going; so many that have legitimate star potential and there's not a weak link in the group) and OL and DB are very impressive as well. Only hangups are WR, where we really should've done more (likely going to be a lot of pressure to bring in a mega haul of talented WRs next cycle) and ILB, where some whiffs could leave a mark (don't get me wrong, Harris and Lee are very nice prospects, but Lee is a step slower than I'd like and Harris has an even-greater-than-usual learning curve ahead of him; Harris does have serious potential though - we'll just have to hope ILB is something that comes naturally to him).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The biggest thing - the west coast teams are losing out on almost all of their own linemen (both sides of the ball). Those players used to stay out west - now they are signing elsewhere (most notably, in the south). It is hard to play championship football without solid play on the LOS. The PAC will get weaker and weaker if they cannot fix this.
Go you one better B1G. It`s impossible.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
They'll drop down to 250 lb lineman and play expanded 7 on 7 football.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I think there's a lot of truth in your statement.

Having grown up and played football in Los Angeles I can tell you there's a ton of talent in that area. It blows me away that UCLA cannot field a Top 10 team- there's no reason for it. Having said that, college football is not nearly as popular in California as it is in SEC country. I remember when I moved back to LA in 1990 I was expecting the LA Times to have as much CF coverage as the AJC. Not even close, maybe one and a half pages, that was it. I think the other issue for colleges like UCLA is the student population. At UCLA, Asians represent 40% of the undergrad student population. Academics are far more important to them than athletics, so college administrators, athletic boards, donors etc. don't put as much into it. I'll be very interested to see if Chip Kelly can make a go of it at UCLA. I think he's got an up hill battle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think there's a lot of truth in your statement.

Having grown up and played football in Los Angeles I can tell you there's a ton of talent in that area. It blows me away that UCLA cannot field a Top 10 team- there's no reason for it. Having said that, college football is not nearly as popular in California as it is in SEC country. I remember when I moved back to LA in 1990 I was expecting the LA Times to have as much CF coverage as the AJC. Not even close, maybe one and a half pages, that was it. I think the other issue for colleges like UCLA is the student population. At UCLA, Asians represent 40% of the undergrad student population. Academics are far more important to them than athletics, so college administrators, athletic boards, donors etc. don't put as much into it. I'll be very interested to see if Chip Kelly can make a go of it at UCLA. I think he's got an up hill battle.
Apparently Chip has said he won't offer a junior. He wants to see how a kid does as a senior. If that is true, he's going to fail with the early signing period and many players wanting to end their recruitment early.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Apparently Chip has said he won't offer a junior. He wants to see how a kid does as a senior. If that is true, he's going to fail with the early signing period and many players wanting to end their recruitment early.
Yep - the early signing period has pushed everything up one year. Offering sophomores is now getting more frequent. Refusing to offer juniors is just stupid.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yep - the early signing period has pushed everything up one year. Offering sophomores is now getting more frequent. Refusing to offer juniors is just stupid.
If this is truly Chip's stance then he is being very old school. That may have been how it was last time he coached in college but it is a different world. The point is you can offer whoever you want but it does not mean you sign them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That came from my dad after hearing Luginbill on the radio a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.