JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Recruiting 2019: Tide takes top spot again, almost sets record
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
February 7th, 2019 02:24 AM

Alabama’s setback in the national championship game did not carry over to its 2019 recruiting class. Signing 27 players between the early and late signing periods, Alabama claimed the top spot in the 2019 TideFans.com/NARCAS recruiting rankings, narrowly edging out Georgia in the process. Alabama’s stunning class […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks Jess, always appreciate your assessment. Appears to be another outstanding class, but probably lost a couple to coaching changes which would be expected.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thank you. I expected Battle to be ranked higher in your system and you did not list Hentges as a departing TE (huge loss), but I appreciate the perspective.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Nice write up, Jess. I really enjoy reading your analysis each week.

Seems Saban got a great class this year... but really wish we would have gotten Bogle and Henry T. I understand their choices though. Our coaching turnover hurt us on those two. I am just glad BAMA signed most of the players in December before the coaching turnover.

Hopefully the new coaches can develop the players and more players can get more play time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Got goose bumps reading about the OL recruiting haul!!!

That bodes well for our future with the studs we have at running back and and a legit QB under center!!!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I know the staff initially had Ebiogbe slated as a Jack OLB. If that projection sticks, does that impact the DL rating down and LB up or does it stay about the same since the OLB group will likely be waiting their turn due to the players already in the system at OLB and more than likely Ebiogbe wouldn't be in the rotation much as a DL/DE till he adds a bit of bulk if that's his new projection?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Missing out on a couple of guys was a bit of a bummer but when you actually look at the class it's excellent.

The best part of these write ups is reading them in 2-3 years. Some things are spot on and some things are not so spot on (which is to be expected).

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Great write-up and great class. Do we have room for everyone to fit in without any special massaging (gray/blue shirts)?

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thank you. I expected Battle to be ranked higher in your system and you did not list Hentges as a departing TE (huge loss), but I appreciate the perspective.
Just an oversight, now corrected. Thanks!

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I know the staff initially had Ebiogbe slated as a Jack OLB. If that projection sticks, does that impact the DL rating down and LB up or does it stay about the same since the OLB group will likely be waiting their turn due to the players already in the system at OLB and more than likely Ebiogbe wouldn't be in the rotation much as a DL/DE till he adds a bit of bulk if that's his new projection?
I think he's going to outgrow Jack regardless, or at least what we think of as Jack size (~6-4, 240-ish). But we have two kinds of Jacks, really. The Jennings type and the Anoma type. Sometimes you get a Jennings/Devall/Saunders that has enough quickness to drop down and get around the tackle, but typically the guys that can do that are the thinner-built players.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I agree with your assessment 100%. (I usually don't even agree with myself)
Things look pretty good. Time will tell.
I can't wait to see the new guys at A-Day.
There should be some battles in Spring Practice.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Much obliged, Jess. Thanks for the great wrap-up. I'm feeling better about this team for the '19 season.

It was apparent we lost a few guys due to the coaching attrition, but overall the current haul look promising.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Jess,
Great job as always.
Question. I realize how fortunate we are to have someone like you do the kind of analyses to which we have become accustomed. I would like to know how Georgia's class (and perhaps some others) stacks up using the same kind of criteria you have used with future Tiders. Do you know of any source we can go to to get that kind of in-depth summary of those other recruiting classes.
I know we came out ranked number one, but how close was Georgia player by player?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think he's going to outgrow Jack regardless, or at least what we think of as Jack size (~6-4, 240-ish). But we have two kinds of Jacks, really. The Jennings type and the Anoma type. Sometimes you get a Jennings/Devall/Saunders that has enough quickness to drop down and get around the tackle, but typically the guys that can do that are the thinner-built players.
Yup. Living in Tuscaloosa we get to see a lot of the guys out and about around town and it is AMAZING how some of them look Day 1 on campus vs. a round through the 4th quarter program. Seeing them without all the game gear you really see the transformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
One of the things that has helped my sanity in the 20 years of TideFans is transitioning from obsessing over recruiting to obsessing over player development. Until and unless a player signs on the dotted line, I don't care who they are or how good they're projected to be. Once we get'em, though, I have learned to trust the process. We've got a lot of Jimmy's and Joe's in this class that I trust CNS & the new staff to mold into SEC= and then NFL-caliber players. Jess' detailed analysis gives me great hope!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.