...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again - Page 2
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Re: ...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Alabama looks ridiculous by excluding all other faiths in this, but the SCOTUS opinion has a point - dude waited until the last minute to request this. It's not as if the DP snuck up on him.
    Regardless, I just SMH at government officials that ignore the First Amendment like this.
    Hey, the guy was hoping that his other appeal would work. Only when it didn't did the reality of the situation kick in.

This tweet puts it better, I think:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1093731112734593024?s=19

This is the darkest timeline.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Alabama looks ridiculous by excluding all other faiths in this, but the SCOTUS opinion has a point - dude waited until the last minute to request this. It's not as if the DP snuck up on him.

Regardless, I just SMH at government officials that ignore the First Amendment like this.
    I wonder when he was told his imam couldn't be with him.

Either way, the southern baptists got their way and a dying man did not have a spiritual advisor by his side when he died.

Maybe he didn't deserve it, but that didn't prevent christian murderers from having the same thing done for them.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

C'mon guys. At least they didn't inject him with pig's blood first and then sit around and laugh at him for a while before killing him. We're making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I wonder when he was told his imam couldn't be with him.
    from Kagan's dissent:

I also see no reason to reject the Eleventh Circuit’s finding that Ray brought his claim in a timely manner. The warden denied Ray’s request to have his imam by his side on January 23, 2019. And Ray filed his complaint five days later, on January 28. The State contends that Ray should have known to bring his claim earlier, when his execution date was set on November 6. But the relevant statute would not have placed Ray on notice that the prison would deny his request. To the contrary, that statute provides that both the chaplain of the prison and the inmate’s spiritual adviser of choice “may be present at an execution.” Ala. Code ß15–18–83(a) (2018). It makes no distinction between persons who may be present within the execution chamber and those who may enter only theviewing room. And the prison refused to give Ray a copy of its own practices and procedures (which would have made that distinction clear). So there is no reason Ray should have known, prior to January 23, that his imam would be granted less access than the Christian chaplain to the execution chamber.

Kagan nailed it - if the Imam was actually there (as in, getting him there wasn't prohibitive) then this is exactly as it appears to be on the surface and I hope it gets challenged in court.

These clowns are so short-sighted they don't understand that weaponizing their religion can come back to haunt them some day - particularly if there's a time when the majority of the people believe something differently than they do...

Alabama gonna Alabama, though - love the university, but the only thing keeping it from being the most backward state in the union is Mississippi.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    C'mon guys. At least they didn't inject him with pig's blood first and then sit around and laugh at him for a while before killing him. We're making progress.
    I get that's it's blue font, but I'll bet there were people thinking (or even joking about) that. possibly some employed by the prison or part of the very legal system that's supposed to protect him.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

I get that's it's blue font, but I'll bet there were people thinking (or even joking about) that. possibly some employed by the prison or part of the very legal system that's supposed to protect him.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I predict they will stop allowing the Christian chaplain into the death chamber. Then we will see howls of protest from the same people who didnít want the iman in.

I didnít know they even let a preacher in there. I would be fine if they stopped doing it. But if they let him in, they should allow a condemned man to select someone from his own faith if he isnít Christian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I predict they will stop allowing the Christian chaplain into the death chamber. Then we will see howls of protest from the same people who didn’t want the iman in.

I didn’t know they even let a preacher in there. I would be fine if they stopped doing it. But if they let him in, they should allow a condemned man to select someone from his own faith if he isn’t Christian.

For that matter, if they will allow a spiritual advisor, then they should allow a family member, or anyone else at all that the condemned should desire that will agree to come.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

They heard about what is going on in Virginia and wanted to let the country know we are still relevant in the idiotic racist game.

The guy isnít trying to avoid execution. Let him have his Iman with him.

What does race have to do with it?
    to 16 and beyond........

I predict they will stop allowing the Christian chaplain into the death chamber. Then we will see howls of protest from the same people who didn’t want the iman in.
    More likely that they won't change a thing unless forced by the courts...and we just saw what to expect from the SC.

Kagan nailed it - if the Imam was actually there (as in, getting him there wasn't prohibitive) then this is exactly as it appears to be on the surface and I hope it gets challenged in court.

These clowns are so short-sighted they don't understand that weaponizing their religion can come back to haunt them some day - particularly if there's a time when the majority of the people believe something differently than they do...

Alabama gonna Alabama, though - love the university, but the only thing keeping it from being the most backward state in the union is Mississippi.
    Not quite true any more. Probably Alabama's worst stat is GDP per capita, where only five states are behind. However, in stats like educational level, there are six states behind, including a couple which would surprise you. I'd like to see more progress, true, but it's far different from when only MS was behind. Of course, in Alabama, the Black Belt and, TBF, much of lower Alabama, lag far behind north Alabama in income and education. However, it's not the same as Mississippi, where the entire state is like that, except for Jackson...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    What does race have to do with it?
    I know being Muslim isnít a race. But they are a minority group of mostly dark skinned people. You canít tell me that isnít a factor in anti-Islamic sentiment.