...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: ...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again

Frankly, given that too many of these convictions for the death penalty and long sentences get overturned on new evidence or prosecutorial impropriety I would like to see the death penalty abolished. One innocent dead person is one too many. Life in prison without parole will do and if it's overturned then you still have a living person to let go. Can't bring them back from the dead to tell them sorry and let them out.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson1967 View Post
    i know being muslim isn’t a race. But they are a minority group of mostly dark skinned people. You can’t tell me that isn’t a factor in anti-islamic sentiment.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    ‘they turk err jrb’
    to 16 and beyond........

so i guess that i can stop worrying about creeping sharia law
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    so i guess that i can stop worrying about creeping sharia law
    I guess we can also reframe SCOTUS decisions like Hobby Lobby and the cake baker as "Christian freedom" rather than "religious freedom" too.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    I guess we can also reframe SCOTUS decisions like Hobby Lobby and the cake baker as "Christian freedom" rather than "religious freedom" too.
    conservative christian values uber alles
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Question for everyone here worried about this mans rights. How did he treat his victim before killing her?

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Question for everyone here worried about this mans rights. How did he treat his victim before killing her?
    Many Christians on death row treated their victims poorly. They nevertheless received comfort in their last minutes from a chaplain of their faith.
    This is the darkest timeline.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I'll add that we should not debase ourselves to the lowest of the low as a measure of our own morality/ethics/justice.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Frankly, given that too many of these convictions for the death penalty and long sentences get overturned on new evidence or prosecutorial impropriety I would like to see the death penalty abolished. One innocent dead person is one too many. Life in prison without parole will do and if it's overturned then you still have a living person to let go. Can't bring them back from the dead to tell them sorry and let them out.
    I think it should be reserved for the worst of the worst - killing while imprisoned already on a life without parole, clear evidence of murder of an LEO, etc. I'm familiar with how prosecutors think. All too many have a "win at all costs" mentality and all too many are way too much in bed with the LEOs, whom they're not supposed to represent...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think it should be reserved for the worst of the worst - killing while imprisoned already on a life without parole, clear evidence of murder of an LEO, etc. I'm familiar with how prosecutors think. All too many have a "win at all costs" mentality and all too many are way too much in bed with the LEOs, whom they're not supposed to represent...
    Testilying! Been a victim, until a prosecution witness corroborated my story. Lucky for me, the prosecution called that witness! Once the acquittal came in, the judge actually told me that doesn’t mean I am innocent, just that there wasn’t enough evidence to convict me at this time. My jaw dropped to the floor! I fought back my rage, smiled and left the courtroom! The officer should have been charged with perjury in my opinion! I know murder is a much more serious offense than I was charged with, but the inner workings of our judicial system is the same.
    Last edited by bamaga; February 12th, 2019 at 10:00 AM.
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Testilying! Been a victim, until a prosecution witness collaborated my story. Lucky for me, the prosecution called that witness! Once the acquittal came in, the judge actually told me that doesn’t mean I am innocent, just that there wasn’t enough evidence to convict me at this time. My jaw dropped to the floor! I fought back my rage, smiled and left the courtroom! The officer should have been charged with perjury in my opinion! I know murder is a much more serious offense than I was charged with, but the inner workings of our judicial system is the same.
    You were wise to hold your tongue. He was trying to goad you into remarks he could hold you in contempt for...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You were wise to hold your tongue. He was trying to goad you into remarks he could hold you in contempt for...
    When I lived in Dothan, I sat on a jury in a trial of a guy accused of molesting his 8 yr old step-daughter.

I was among three of the twelve jurors who held out for conviction. After 2-3 days of deliberation, we couldn't come up with a verdict.

On the morning of the 3rd day, we the jury sat in an empty courtroom. The judge came in and berated us for wasting the court's time and money, pointedly looking at those of us who thought the guy was guilty.

I risked contempt after that jury was dismissed. I went up to his office and sat down and told him that I and the other jury members were within our rights to vote to convict or acquit as our conscience sees fit. And he as the judge should only rule on thefairness of the case.

Luckily, I was polite enough and he had gotten over his anger. I was just ....ed off because I had tried to get out of jury duty (small children, and wife was out-of-town working) due to family obligations, and I had just spent 3 days in a jury box that I really didn't want to be in. And to have that guy talk to us like we were spoiled children. Just set me off.

I later found out that the accused was part of a good-old-boy network in Dothan. Everybody knew him, the D.A. and even the judge....who should have recused himself. They didn't want the case to go to trial in the 1st place. Small town justice.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

A small town paper publishes an editorial calling for the return of the Klan to “clean out DC”.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...on/2910436002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk