...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Bama released the receipts. Nothing abortion-related here.

http://uasystem.edu/assets/2019/06/Statement-060919.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those emails are absolute confirmation that this was never about abortion. It’s about Culverhouse expecting to be able to bully the Law School because of his large donation. He even wanted to be able to sit in on classes unannounced undoubtedly to decide whether or not the professor of that class was worthy of his faculty. A disaster has been averted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll add that I shuddered when I heard the school was going to be named after him, my school. That should never have been agreed to...

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Where does it end? Milo Yannopolis is an idiot who got run out of Berkley. He may not have been bad enough to necessitated that treatment as by and large most can see him for the clown that he is. But to make a law, extending tolerance to everyone, just seems like it is bound to have unintended consequences. It is like Christians who want all of these religious freedom laws never understanding that by setting the precedence of having a preferred religion, there will be some time in the future when a majority of some non-Christian religion decides to gather the votes and do the same thing.
Karl Popper said:
Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Where does it end? Milo Yannopolis is an idiot who got run out of Berkley. He may not have been bad enough to necessitated that treatment as by and large most can see him for the clown that he is. But to make a law, extending tolerance to everyone, just seems like it is bound to have unintended consequences. It is like Christians who want all of these religious freedom laws never understanding that by setting the precedence of having a preferred religion, there will be some time in the future when a majority of some non-Christian religion decides to gather the votes and do the same thing.
these types of laws are meant for "thee not we". there are not going to be any unintended consequences, iokiyar.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was a student at UA recently living off my VA benefits to go. Towards the last part of my time a small group of students urged a former grand wizard or something to campus. Bell basically said no to it and everyone was better for it.

I know this law is meant for people like Milo, Shapiro, and Crowder who push controversy and are clowns that make money off of people who can’t figure out what they are doing . I think some of the treatment by campuses are wrong towards all three of them, but this bill opens up for far worse people being able to come who really believe in their stances. So you are going to have Neo Nazi, Marxists, Soverign Citizens, and etc coming freely.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The guy has every right to say whatever he wants. He also has the right to deal with the consequences from his beliefs. I doubt much will come of it but there is always hope.
yeah, i'm guessing the consequences will be getting invited to lead the prayers more than usual in sunday services.

stuff like this always reminds me of ron white's bit, "i had the right to remain silent, i didn't have the ability"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I originally saw the article on the Facebook page for Yellowhammer News (a right wing political site). Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the commenters either flat out agreed with him or defended his right to free speech. Defending free speech often seems to be code for “I agree with this but I am smart enough not to say it”.

Yes, he does have free speech, but since he hasn’t been arrested for his views, that isn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
yeah, i'm guessing the consequences will be getting invited to lead the prayers more than usual in sunday services.

stuff like this always reminds me of ron white's bit, "i had the right to remain silent, i didn't have the ability"
In February the General Conference of the First United Methodist Church voted to reject same sex marriage and LGBTQ clergy. The vote was closer than I expected losing by 75 votes out of roughly 800.

Before the vote, I had a Methodist pastor in hygiene and he asked my feelings. I told him if God has called anyone to the ministry I certainly wasn’t going to stand in their way and that I feel what goes on in my bedroom is no ones business but mine. He responded with the usual “abomination”, it’s not natural, etc. Our conversation got heated enough, that I assumed I had lost him as a patient.

He came back in this morning. He’s a nice man, salt of the earth type guy living by his convictions. We didn’t discuss the vote anymore. Evidently we have agreed to disagree.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.