...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again

clicky

Domineque Ray will soon be executed by the state of Alabama, and he wants his imam to be in the death chamber when he is killed. It’s not an absurd request: Alabama provides death row inmates with a Christian chaplain to pray with them just before they are given a lethal injection. But Ray is a devout Muslim, and he asked that a spiritual adviser of his own faith accompany him in the chamber. Alabama refused. The state insisted that Ray either accept the Christian chaplain or be killed alone. It scheduled his execution for Thursday evening.

On Wednesday afternoon, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals blocked Alabama from killing Ray, ruling that the state’s refusal to let his imam attend the execution likely violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. The court’s remarkable decision correctly accuses the state of engaging in flagrant religious discrimination, favoring Christianity over Islam and prioritizing a swift death over constitutional rights. It also potentially tees up a Supreme Court battle that will test the conservative majority’s ostensible commitment to religious freedom. If the Republican-appointed justices reverse the 11th Circuit, it will be hard to avoid the conclusion that their zeal for capital punishment outweighs their commitment to religious liberty.
    Last edited by jthomas666; February 7th, 2019 at 08:50 AM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Re: ...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again

Is Homer Stokes in charge ?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Why can't the judges just play the "decent human being" card and let the condemned have the chaplain of his choice. This will undoubtedly end up costing the good people of Alabama a lot more money and resulting the condemned having the chaplain of his choice anyway.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Why can't the judges just play the "decent human being" card and let the condemned have the chaplain of his choice. This will undoubtedly end up costing the good people of Alabama a lot more money and resulting the condemned having the chaplain of his choice anyway.
    Probably because they are elected by people who believe in a war on Christmas.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    it may be because they are not decent people
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Catfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    it may be because they are not decent people
    Both.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Yes, and letting a Muslim have his choice of spiritual leader in the hour of his death is proof positive of the war against Christmas. Give him a good southern Baptist, like all the other condemned. It's an obvious religious bias and it makes us look dumb as hell in front of the rest of the country. As usual...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

They heard about what is going on in Virginia and wanted to let the country know we are still relevant in the idiotic racist game.

The guy isnít trying to avoid execution. Let him have his Iman with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Yes, and letting a Muslim have his choice of spiritual leader in the hour of his death is proof positive of the war against Christmas. Give him a good southern Baptist, like all the other condemned. It's an obvious religious bias and it makes us look dumb as hell in front of the rest of the country. As usual...
    sadly, i think there are some fairly significant chunks of the country outside of the south that are all in with this.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    it makes us look dumb as hell in front of the rest of the country. As usual...
    You're saying it's a feature, not a bug?

https://twitter.com/itsmelissabrown/...489380864?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

smh

A divided Supreme Court cleared the way for Alabama to execute a Muslim inmate after denying his request to have an imam at his side in the execution chamber, even though the prison would allow a Christian chaplain to be present in the chamber.
    Last edited by jthomas666; February 8th, 2019 at 07:16 AM.

Alabama looks ridiculous by excluding all other faiths in this, but the SCOTUS opinion has a point - dude waited until the last minute to request this. It's not as if the DP snuck up on him.

Regardless, I just SMH at government officials that ignore the First Amendment like this.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius