Great article on the future of the Tide - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Re: Great article on the future of the Tide

You guys are right about to’oto’o, but i’m Seriously upset about Dax Hill signing with mitchagain back in December

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    There's a negative vibe to the article. It's perhaps written in the subtext -- but there is a "Bama will do whatever it takes to win" -- but it's not presented as a "good thing". At least that's my perception of the article.

Lot's of anonymous quotes -- never seems to sit right with me.
    I like quotes with a name attached. Everything else is a rumor.

BamaNation Scout Team

I've been around here for a long long time guys but only posted so long ago I had reregister. Spencer is 'Orsen Swindle' and EDSBS is a great site and back in the day it was especially hilarious and fun to follow. That said... there is a lot of shade in that article, and he knows exactly what he's doing. P.S. Sorry this is my 1st/2nd introduction. I'll be glad to defend my position as a newbie. RTR

FB|BB Moderator

The article mentions this briefly, but I don't think gives it enough credit -- the partnership of Nick Saban and Dr. Robert Witt.

Dr. Witt recognized the value of success on the football field to the greater mission of attracting high-quality students, especially high-quality out-of-state students.

He also caught a huge break in all the moving parts that had to come together so that we could attract Saban. But Saban also caught a break in that Witt is one of the few administrators that he (Saban) would genuinely respect. In fact, I would offer that, while their methods of delivery are different, Nick Saban and Robert Witt are far more alike than they are different.

Together, they built a mutually-reinforcing athletic / academic partnership that few schools have ever seen before. Succeeding presidents have been smart enough not to mess with it, but I think Witt was uniquely suited to the initial construction.

Without Saban, I don't think Witt would have been as successful. Without Witt, we might have attracted Saban, but I don't think he'd still be here.

I really think there's a business management case or book in that story.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; February 9th, 2019 at 06:39 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Great read.
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The article seems to be a straight-forward, honest look at how some people in power decided to change things, and it also seems to say that the plan has worked. The only thing that might be interpreted as negative to me is that as a state we value football more than other important factors. The haves control too much of the state, so they share Alabama football with the have nots so they can seem to have something in common and not come across as being so high and mighty. Otherwise, it seems to show what a good plan and good execution can provide.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

He positions the foundation operating within the University as an unfair exploiting of a loophole.

It’s carefully worded, but the insinuation of something nefarious is there

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    He positions the foundation operating within the University as an unfair exploiting of a loophole.

It’s carefully worded, but the insinuation of something nefarious is there
    I thought he also said that several other institutions of higher learning did the exact same thing and that it wasn't illegal or bad. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.

BamaNation All-SEC

And you will note that much of what he reports regarding the way things worked with the BOT came via someone from UAB. Fairly or not, UAB has always felt the BOT was actively hostile to them in ways that extended far beyond football. There is nothing in the article to suggest any illegal activity. One might question the wisdom or morality of bending so many of an impoverished state's resources to the goal of creating an outstanding football team. But it is not illegal and has been wildly successful. And as Spencer points out, it extends beyond CNS.

I think people can find slights - intentional or otherwise - if that's what they wish to see.

I didn't the vibe this article was painting Bama in a negative light - it simply highlights how all the parts of the machine work smoothly and seamlessly towards one particular goal, and how unusual that is at any level.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    And you will note that much of what he reports regarding the way things worked with the BOT came via someone from UAB. Fairly or not, UAB has always felt the BOT was actively hostile to them in ways that extended far beyond football. There is nothing in the article to suggest any illegal activity. One might question the wisdom or morality of bending so many of an impoverished state's resources to the goal of creating an outstanding football team. But it is not illegal and has been wildly successful. And as Spencer points out, it extends beyond CNS.
    Private dollars fund the athletic dept. and on top of that it operates at a huge profit that overflows into other parts of the school. The ‘taxpayer shouldn’t be paying out this kind of money for a football program’ meme is a sham argument.

Football has been a (disproportionately compared to many other states)very important part of this state for a very long time and I don’t see that ever changing.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 11th, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Fascinating!

We know how important CNS is in the wheel...just wonder what the impact of PBjr. passing (eventually) will do to this power structure?