Great article on the future of the Tide

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
He positions the foundation operating within the University as an unfair exploiting of a loophole.

It’s carefully worded, but the insinuation of something nefarious is there
I thought he also said that several other institutions of higher learning did the exact same thing and that it wasn't illegal or bad. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
And you will note that much of what he reports regarding the way things worked with the BOT came via someone from UAB. Fairly or not, UAB has always felt the BOT was actively hostile to them in ways that extended far beyond football. There is nothing in the article to suggest any illegal activity. One might question the wisdom or morality of bending so many of an impoverished state's resources to the goal of creating an outstanding football team. But it is not illegal and has been wildly successful. And as Spencer points out, it extends beyond CNS.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think people can find slights - intentional or otherwise - if that's what they wish to see.

I didn't the vibe this article was painting Bama in a negative light - it simply highlights how all the parts of the machine work smoothly and seamlessly towards one particular goal, and how unusual that is at any level.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
And you will note that much of what he reports regarding the way things worked with the BOT came via someone from UAB. Fairly or not, UAB has always felt the BOT was actively hostile to them in ways that extended far beyond football. There is nothing in the article to suggest any illegal activity. One might question the wisdom or morality of bending so many of an impoverished state's resources to the goal of creating an outstanding football team. But it is not illegal and has been wildly successful. And as Spencer points out, it extends beyond CNS.
Private dollars fund the athletic dept. and on top of that it operates at a huge profit that overflows into other parts of the school. The ‘taxpayer shouldn’t be paying out this kind of money for a football program’ meme is a sham argument.

Football has been a (disproportionately compared to many other states)very important part of this state for a very long time and I don’t see that ever changing.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Fascinating!

We know how important CNS is in the wheel...just wonder what the impact of PBjr. passing (eventually) will do to this power structure?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.