Great article on the future of the Tide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There's a negative vibe to the article. It's perhaps written in the subtext -- but there is a "Bama will do whatever it takes to win" -- but it's not presented as a "good thing". At least that's my perception of the article.

Lot's of anonymous quotes -- never seems to sit right with me.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
There's a negative vibe to the article. It's perhaps written in the subtext -- but there is a "Bama will do whatever it takes to win" -- but it's not presented as a "good thing". At least that's my perception of the article.

I disagree. I read it as here's a program that has done everything to make a successful program. Perhaps first and foremost, they have trusted CNS, given him total control of the program and all the resources he needs to make the program successful. That bodes well for the future. There is a successful system now in place, not just one successful individual.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I disagree. I read it as here's a program that has done everything to make a successful program. Perhaps first and foremost, they have trusted CNS, given him total control of the program and all the resources he needs to make the program successful. That bodes well for the future. There is a successful system now in place, not just one successful individual.
Gotta agree with you here. The title says it all:

"Alabama’s dynasty will never really be over

After one of the Tide’s highest-rated recruiting classes ever, it’s clear their dominance goes way beyond Nick Saban."

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

After re-reading, I get your point when it went into the BOT and power structure biz.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
After re-reading, I get your point when it went into the BOT and power structure biz.
Spencer is a Michigan fan. You gotta expect some degree of sour grapes. I think it is more convincing coming from a fan of another program having to watch this happening. No homerism here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Spencer is a Michigan fan. You gotta expect some degree of sour grapes. I think it is more convincing coming from a fan of another program having to watch this happening. No homerism here.
Thought Spencer went to Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I like quotes with a name attached. Everything else is a rumor.

RedMtnElephant

Nov 12, 2018
I've been around here for a long long time guys but only posted so long ago I had reregister. Spencer is 'Orsen Swindle' and EDSBS is a great site and back in the day it was especially hilarious and fun to follow. That said... there is a lot of shade in that article, and he knows exactly what he's doing. P.S. Sorry this is my 1st/2nd introduction. I'll be glad to defend my position as a newbie. RTR

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The article mentions this briefly, but I don't think gives it enough credit -- the partnership of Nick Saban and Dr. Robert Witt.

Dr. Witt recognized the value of success on the football field to the greater mission of attracting high-quality students, especially high-quality out-of-state students.

He also caught a huge break in all the moving parts that had to come together so that we could attract Saban. But Saban also caught a break in that Witt is one of the few administrators that he (Saban) would genuinely respect. In fact, I would offer that, while their methods of delivery are different, Nick Saban and Robert Witt are far more alike than they are different.

Together, they built a mutually-reinforcing athletic / academic partnership that few schools have ever seen before. Succeeding presidents have been smart enough not to mess with it, but I think Witt was uniquely suited to the initial construction.

Without Saban, I don't think Witt would have been as successful. Without Witt, we might have attracted Saban, but I don't think he'd still be here.

I really think there's a business management case or book in that story.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The article seems to be a straight-forward, honest look at how some people in power decided to change things, and it also seems to say that the plan has worked. The only thing that might be interpreted as negative to me is that as a state we value football more than other important factors. The haves control too much of the state, so they share Alabama football with the have nots so they can seem to have something in common and not come across as being so high and mighty. Otherwise, it seems to show what a good plan and good execution can provide.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He positions the foundation operating within the University as an unfair exploiting of a loophole.

It’s carefully worded, but the insinuation of something nefarious is there

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.