Go Bama! Exorcise the Demons that Haunt Us at Vandy! - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Go Bama! Exorcise the Demons that Haunt Us at Vandy!

a great win

https://twitter.com/adamluckettbos/s...257871873?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

We beat two teams in a row with a combined one win in conference (1-19 combined record of Vandy and UGA). IOW, we did what we were supposed to do. Will be a good test against a middle of the pack team in Miss St. on Tuesday to see how far we've really come since losing games we should have won at the start of the season..

An example of the final stats being deceiving:

Alabama: 19 fouls
    Vanderbilt: 17 fouls
    Alabama: 21 FTs
    Vanderbilt: 28 FTs

Inside the last two minutes, Vanderbilt committed four fouls in hopes of getting back into the game. Those fouls led to seven Alabama FTs. 24% of their fouls and 33% of Alabama's FTs came in the final two minutes, yet the stat lines show a pretty evenly called game.

Then again, Vandy does lead the conference with 573 FTAs (13 more than second place LSU), but they also are in the bottom half for team fouls (415).
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

The biggest problem this team has in taking that “next step” is finding answers for those extended droughts in scoring we seemingly have every game. It looks like we have to depend on a 17 year old in Lewis or 10th year senior ( ok I kid) in Norris for leadership.

Against Vandy we went almost 7 minutes in the second half without scoring. I believe in those seven minutes we turned the ball over 8 times. Certainly the refs let Vandy get away with some stuff but no way we should go scoreless from the field for almost seven minutes against Vanderbilt. It turned a sure 20 point runaway into a four point game with four minutes left..

IIRC we had two such five minute stretches against Auburn. Even as well as Auburn played that night, if we get some production in those times, we at least have a chance of being “in it” at the end.

It is time for Ingram, Johnson and other experienced players on this team to show the poise needed to “answer” when these situations present themselves.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

So many of Bama's turnovers are "unforced" and are basically goofy mistakes by the players. I don't know what the normal percentage makeup for this is for other teams but it gets frustrating.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    So many of Bama's turnovers are "unforced" and are basically goofy mistakes by the players. I don't know what the normal percentage makeup for this is for other teams but it gets frustrating.
    Gift-wrapped. But let's focus on the positive: Giddens showed a move or two down low as if he were ready to break out...of his concrete shoes and perpetual warmup outfit. Never know...

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Remember a few weeks ago, he projected us to got 5-8 in our final 12 games. It just shows some of these pundits are only as good as the metrics they use.

I was happy with the effort, but never got the feeling we were in complete control. We seemed to lose our composure at times and that simply has to stop. We have enough experience that should not be an issue with the exception of our PG. Dazon is playing better and several of his turnovers were on the receiver not the passer. The officials were just bad Saturday. They kept Vandy in the game at the end.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TitleWave View Post
    Gift-wrapped. But let's focus on the positive: Giddens showed a move or two down low as if he were ready to break out...of his concrete shoes and perpetual warmup outfit. Never know...
    Giddens plays like he's always surprised that he did something (good or bad)....

That call on him was a gosh dern shame though.....he did everything right -- and they called an intentional foul.... crazy
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Lewis played 34 minutes. The team is not the same with him on the bench regardless of which players are on the court. I think there is still a fear of playing him too much from a physical standpoint.

I had no idea his role in the success of this team would be so big this season back when I first heard he had reclassified to come in this early.
    Kira Lewis, with any growth at all, might be one of the best players to come through the program in the last 10-15 years.

And kudos to Herb Jones who finally came out of offensive hibernation!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Know he had a big game a few weeks back, but AJ just doesn’t provide the same spark and excitement that Kira gives. There’s really not another option, though. Dazon had a good game last night but is too turnover prone (led the team with 3 last night).

Staff needs to be creative with giving Kira breaks because the team is so much better when he’s on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like Day-Day, I worry about playing him into the ground. Nevertheless, to succeed this late season, we'll probably have to play him a whole game at some point. On a related point, I liked the sub rotation a little better this game. It seemed like he wasn't so anxious to play the whole bench. As well as Petty has been playing (from last year, when he played him too much, I never thought he had the inside stuff in him), I might have played him more. (I haven't looked at the box score.)
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Like Day-Day, I worry about playing him into the ground. Nevertheless, to succeed this late season, we'll probably have to play him a whole game at some point. On a related point, I liked the sub rotation a little better this game. It seemed like he wasn't so anxious to play the whole bench. As well as Petty has been playing (from last year, when he played him too much, I never thought he had the inside stuff in him), I might have played him more. (I haven't looked at the box score.)
    JP played 26 minutes, which is right around where he's been playing during conference play.

Would say the rotation was better because Galin and Reese were out. Avery was limited in who he could play.

Mentioned the staff needs to be creative in how they spell Kira. Much easier said than done since the media timeouts can take awhile to actually happen. It's easier in the NBA or women's basketball with about a minute or two left in the quarter to just sub a player to have that time plus the commercial break to rest.
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I know Kira can't play the whole game, every game, but I see no signs he hasn't adjusted to the game at this level (which is incredible when you think about it...should be playing HS ball in the Huntsville area right now).

He's got 3 things you can't teach:

1. He's 17.
    2. He's got speed to burn (probably not as fast as Sexton) but Kira is much, much more efficient and smooth and I think he can "get it done" with less effort than Sexton, who needed regular breathers. I mean, Kira looks like he's not even trying he's so smooth.
    3. He's just got natural skills that can't be taught. His shooting stroke is pure and he easily gets to the rim and is practically automatic at the FT line.

Sure, he's got to have a few minutes a game to get some rest, but if I'm CAJ I ride Kira as far as he can take the team. IMO, he's the one player that can get this team deeper into March with what seems to be an improving team around him.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; February 12th, 2019 at 09:41 AM.