Go Bama! Exorcise the Demons that Haunt Us at Vandy!

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Bama 12-24 (50%) on three's and 17-21 (81%) on free throws.
Wouldn't it be nice to see that more often? Well, at least some low 40%3s and at least 70 % FTs.

Lack of mental awareness, sloppy turnovers, lack of leadership (except for Kira and Riley) nearly cost us the game during the draught in second half. We have got to push through those periods when poor officiating does not go our way, rather than add to it with poor decision making.

We have the talent to win, but sometimes lack the desire to fight, it seems to me.

Glad we escaped with this one. Much tougher road games ahead.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I missed the whole first half and had to listen to the second half on the radio. I had to coach in a HS area championship game last night. I’m going to go back and watch on DVR after church today. Chris Stewart was not very happy with the refs swallowing their whistles we we had the ball.

Great to get a W in Memorial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Lewis played 34 minutes. The team is not the same with him on the bench regardless of which players are on the court. I think there is still a fear of playing him too much from a physical standpoint.

I had no idea his role in the success of this team would be so big this season back when I first heard he had reclassified to come in this early.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Lewis played 34 minutes. The team is not the same with him on the bench regardless of which players are on the court. I think there is still a fear of playing him too much from a physical standpoint.

I had no idea his role in the success of this team would be so big this season back when I first heard he had reclassified to come in this early.
Know he had a big game a few weeks back, but AJ just doesn’t provide the same spark and excitement that Kira gives. There’s really not another option, though. Dazon had a good game last night but is too turnover prone (led the team with 3 last night).

Staff needs to be creative with giving Kira breaks because the team is so much better when he’s on the floor.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Know he had a big game a few weeks back, but AJ just doesn’t provide the same spark and excitement that Kira gives. There’s really not another option, though. Dazon had a good game last night but is too turnover prone (led the team with 3 last night).

Staff needs to be creative with giving Kira breaks because the team is so much better when he’s on the floor.

We played Herb some at point last year but have not seen it as much this year. It is a mis-match when he does but he has to get better at finishing/shooting to make it real effective.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
We played Herb some at point last year but have not seen it as much this year. It is a mis-match when he does but he has to get better at finishing/shooting to make it real effective.
Yeah, Jones was effective in the half court offense at point a few times. I'd like to see him play this role a little more as long as the opponent is allowing Bama to bring the ball up court without much pressure.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We beat two teams in a row with a combined one win in conference (1-19 combined record of Vandy and UGA). IOW, we did what we were supposed to do. Will be a good test against a middle of the pack team in Miss St. on Tuesday to see how far we've really come since losing games we should have won at the start of the season..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
An example of the final stats being deceiving:

Alabama: 19 fouls
Vanderbilt: 17 fouls
Alabama: 21 FTs
Vanderbilt: 28 FTs

Inside the last two minutes, Vanderbilt committed four fouls in hopes of getting back into the game. Those fouls led to seven Alabama FTs. 24% of their fouls and 33% of Alabama's FTs came in the final two minutes, yet the stat lines show a pretty evenly called game.

Then again, Vandy does lead the conference with 573 FTAs (13 more than second place LSU), but they also are in the bottom half for team fouls (415).

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The biggest problem this team has in taking that “next step” is finding answers for those extended droughts in scoring we seemingly have every game. It looks like we have to depend on a 17 year old in Lewis or 10th year senior ( ok I kid) in Norris for leadership.

Against Vandy we went almost 7 minutes in the second half without scoring. I believe in those seven minutes we turned the ball over 8 times. Certainly the refs let Vandy get away with some stuff but no way we should go scoreless from the field for almost seven minutes against Vanderbilt. It turned a sure 20 point runaway into a four point game with four minutes left..

IIRC we had two such five minute stretches against Auburn. Even as well as Auburn played that night, if we get some production in those times, we at least have a chance of being “in it” at the end.

It is time for Ingram, Johnson and other experienced players on this team to show the poise needed to “answer” when these situations present themselves.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
So many of Bama's turnovers are "unforced" and are basically goofy mistakes by the players. I don't know what the normal percentage makeup for this is for other teams but it gets frustrating.
Gift-wrapped. But let's focus on the positive: Giddens showed a move or two down low as if he were ready to break out...of his concrete shoes and perpetual warmup outfit. Never know...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Remember a few weeks ago, he projected us to got 5-8 in our final 12 games. It just shows some of these pundits are only as good as the metrics they use.

I was happy with the effort, but never got the feeling we were in complete control. We seemed to lose our composure at times and that simply has to stop. We have enough experience that should not be an issue with the exception of our PG. Dazon is playing better and several of his turnovers were on the receiver not the passer. The officials were just bad Saturday. They kept Vandy in the game at the end.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Gift-wrapped. But let's focus on the positive: Giddens showed a move or two down low as if he were ready to break out...of his concrete shoes and perpetual warmup outfit. Never know...
Giddens plays like he's always surprised that he did something (good or bad)....

That call on him was a gosh dern shame though.....he did everything right -- and they called an intentional foul.... crazy

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Kira Lewis, with any growth at all, might be one of the best players to come through the program in the last 10-15 years.

And kudos to Herb Jones who finally came out of offensive hibernation!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.