Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax faces second sexual assault allegation - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax faces second sexual assault allegation

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    The topic I was referring to was how victims can cope with these attacks - how to overcome the list I posted. Sure, I see a lot of publicity of the incidents - but solutions? Maybe I missed it....
    All well and good but as I said....not much I see on specifics of how to overcome the 5 items on my list. Maybe I am not looking hard enough.
    We are not obligated to restrict our responses to the topics of your choosing.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Wikipedia - Donald Trump sexual misconduct allegations

The reality is that only one of the two major parties has taken responsibility for sexual assault and racism within its ranks. The political cynic in me is wondering whether that is now being weaponized in Virginia. The top three Dems being accused in rapid succession, opening the path for the first Republican in the line of succession for governor? Way too much of a coincidence, IMO.

Don't take this as me excusing such behavior -- I absolutely do not. But let's just be honest and admit that if both parties held themselves to the same standard, Donald Trump wouldn't be president, Steve King would be unemployed, and Brett Kavanaugh wouldn't be sitting on the highest court. To simultaneously support a president who has been accused of sexual assault by 19 women while shouting down another politician with 2 allegations is some Olympic-level doublethink.
    Ya think?

Seriously, I've given consideration to the exact same thought: It's awfully convenient that the three people ahead of a R are under fire right now - regardless of the merit of the charges (not to diminish the importance of same).

This is the problem I have with some of the movements (metoo, anti-racism, and so on): There is a (sometimes reasonable) outrage that leads to demanding the destruction of careers over past mistakes and wrongs and at times with little to no evidence the accusations are true. Some are saying we should just believe the accuser without reservation/validate their story. Well, let's first consider the very definition of "validate" and that absent truth there is no worth to the story and that because of multiple reasons for people to lie, man or woman, credence cannot simply be given without consideration.

What Republicans are doing is taking the very weaknesses in the social justice movements they criticize (again, sometimes rightly so) and weaponizing those very things against their opposition even as they insulate themselves against it. It is shrewd, ruthless, and brilliant from a political perspective; but it is also rude, insensitive, and has potential to backfire.

But let's not pretend Democrats haven't done the same thing; faking concern (in some cases) while maximizing the political impact to R's whenever possible (not to say that is true of everyone, but I'm quite cynical for good reason).

Meanwhile, when we could use opportunities to learn and grow and bridge divides we tend to drive that wedge further in and learn little to nothing other than "hide your past and your real thoughts" if you want to achieve/maintain success.

Even my (I feel) rational discussion above would be reason for some to want bad things to happen to me. There has to be a better way.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

All well and good but as I said....not much I see on specifics of how to overcome the 5 items on my list. Maybe I am not looking hard enough.

Is it somewhere on the Democratic Party's website? I haven't looked at the #metoo website - but I bet they have a lot of guidance.
    I didn't even think they had a website, but in under a second of typing "metoo" into google and hitting the enter key....

https://metoomvmt.org/
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

We are not obligated to restrict our responses to the topics of your choosing.
    I thought that was the purpose of including my comments (reply with quote button) in your post.

I'm always interested in solution oriented responses or information.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I didn't even think they had a website, but in under a second of typing "metoo" into google and hitting the enter key....

https://metoomvmt.org/
    There's quite a bit of information on their website - impressive. Thanks for posting, NT17....

Another good website is nomore.org - and here is one page that provides a lot of advice.....

https://nomore.org/learn/bystander-scenarios/

Maybe you misunderstood.

The topic I was referring to was how victims can cope with these attacks - how to overcome the list I posted.

Sure, I see a lot of publicity of the incidents - but solutions? Maybe I missed it....
    that is not surprising in the least.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    No due process in the court of public opinion. To forcibly remove him would take due process, though.
    This^^^. This is the strategy being used by both parties as they deem it necessary to sway the public. Trump has used Rudy for over a year to try and convince the public that the entire Mueller investigation is a personal vendetta by the Democrats to remove him from office.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

I thought that was the purpose of including my comments (reply with quote button) in your post.
    The purpose was to highlight your selective interest in the #metoo movement.

Now, you obviously do not have to explain why you seem to entirely excuse some men (well, mainly one) and not others, but the rest of us are free to point out hypocrisy when we see it.

The purpose was to highlight your selective interest in the #metoo movement.

Now, you obviously do not have to explain why you seem to entirely excuse some men (well, mainly one) and not others, but the rest of us are free to point out hypocrisy when we see it.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you sure you read my post(s) correctly?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you sure you read my post(s) correctly?
    You've started a several #metoo threads if memory serves, and I believe you even brought it up during Kavanaugh's hearing. So it seems to be something that you care about. Yet I've never heard you apply the movement to Donald Trump. Why is that? He's had more credible allegations of sexual assault than any of the others.
    Last edited by CharminTide; February 10th, 2019 at 06:14 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that is not surprising in the least.
    The free Civility Webinar starts next week. Details to follow.

You've started a several #metoo threads if memory serves, and I believe you even brought it up during Kavanaugh's hearing. So it seems to be something that you care about. Yet I've never heard you apply the movement to Donald Trump. Why is that? He's had more credible allegations of sexual assault than any of the others.
    OK thanks - now I understand what you were getting at.