Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax faces second sexual assault allegation
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax faces second sexual assault allegation

(CNN)A second woman has come forward to say that she was raped by Democratic Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax.

Meredith Watson alleged that Fairfax's assault on her was "premeditated and aggressive" when they both attended Duke in 2000 and that the two were friends but not romantically involved, according to a statement from her legal counsel, the firm Smith Mullen.
    "Ms. Watson shared her account of the rape with friends in a series of emails and Facebook messages that are now in our possession. Additionally, we have statements from former classmates corroborating that Ms. Watson immediately told friends that Mr. Fairfax had raped her," the statement reads.
    LINK

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/TerryMcAuliffe/status/1093993726257569792?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

What about "due process"?

Or is it different when it comes to "politics"?

2. Advertisement
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax faces second sexual assault allegation

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    No due process in the court of public opinion. To forcibly remove him would take due process, though.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    No due process in the court of public opinion. To forcibly remove him would take due process, though.
    He should get the process, doesn't mean he isn't going to get drug behind the stage coach through town in the rain while it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

If the other 2 that made stupid, non criminal, mistakes back in college dont get due process then neither does Fairfax. Kick them all out!

Three components to these things.

Political - what are the optics?

Legal - will it be investigated and handled like any other alleged crime?

Moral - what are the moral obligations here for all?

======

All that said.....regardless of statute of limitations, I think the political party and/or congress should conduct a thorough investigation before making any decision on the future of the accused party.

The public trust deserves this. The accuser deserves this. And certainly the accused deserves this.

Any investigation though has to be done quickly - maybe less than a week, I'm thinking.

Just my 2 cents.....

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I would only add that, for the victims to get some measure of justice, it is indispensable that the victim come forward as soon as possible so there is corroborating evidence so law enforcement can nail the perps to the wall. I want rapists to be hammered like a tent peg. Prompter's reporting and corroborating evidence is key.
    The biggest up side to the "Me Too" movement is (I hope) women feel more empowered to come forward immediately so the perp does not survive to rape again.

That said, I do not know if Lt. Gov. Fairfax is guilty of rape or not, so a note of caution to myself not to get out over my skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I would only add that, for the victims to get some measure of justice, it is indispensable that the victim come forward as soon as possible so there is corroborating evidence so law enforcement can nail the perps to the wall. I want rapists to be hammered like a tent peg. Prompter's reporting and corroborating evidence is key.
    The biggest up side to the "Me Too" movement is (I hope) women feel more empowered to come forward immediately so the perp does not survive to rape again.

That said, I do not know if Lt. Gov. Fairfax is guilty of rape or not, so a note of caution to myself not to get out over my skis.
    I agree totally. I hope that we don't go so far that an uncorroborated accusation for years earlier can scuttle a career. If so, it certainly didn't get applied to a certain SCOTUS justice...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I agree totally. I hope that we don't go so far that an uncorroborated accusation for years earlier can scuttle a career. If so, it certainly didn't get applied to a certain SCOTUS justice...
    I do not want women to have to relive the assault and I understand that defense attorneys may ask stupid questions like "What were you wearing that evening?" and "How much did you have to drink that evening?"
    I just want to nail rapists because I think it is a despicable crime. Women coming forward at the time will help that effort immensely. (Unless the perp is a quarterback at Florida State and legit candidate for the Heisman Trophy. I still hope that case gnaws at the police and the prosecutor in Tallahassee.)

Why sexual assault victims do not come forward:

1. Fear of reprisal from their attacker
    2. Ashamed of what some may think of them
    3. Worry about how it could damage their career aspirations/current position
    4. Economic and/or other fringe benefits (related somewhat to #3 above)
    5. Concern about how process all works

Those are just 5 off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

Is this topic being discussed enough by those in the public eye who are on record as activists in the #metoo movement/cause?

Is this topic being discussed enough by those in the public eye who are on record as activists in the #metoo movement/cause?
    it is being discussed a lot. and in detail. is there anyone you won't concern troll?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Wikipedia - Donald Trump sexual misconduct allegations

The reality is that only one of the two major parties has taken responsibility for sexual assault and racism within its ranks. The political cynic in me is wondering whether that is now being weaponized in Virginia. The top three Dems being accused in rapid succession, opening the path for the first Republican in the line of succession for governor? Way too much of a coincidence, IMO.

Don't take this as me excusing such behavior -- I absolutely do not. But let's just be honest and admit that if both parties held themselves to the same standard, Donald Trump wouldn't be president, Steve King would be unemployed, and Brett Kavanaugh wouldn't be sitting on the highest court. To simultaneously support a president who has been accused of sexual assault by 19 women while shouting down another politician with 2 allegations is some Olympic-level doublethink.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    it is being discussed a lot. and in detail. is there anyone you won't concern troll?
    Maybe you misunderstood.

The topic I was referring to was how victims can cope with these attacks - how to overcome the list I posted.

Sure, I see a lot of publicity of the incidents - but solutions? Maybe I missed it....

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Wikipedia - Donald Trump sexual misconduct allegations

The reality is that only one of the two major parties has taken responsibility for sexual assault and racism within its ranks. The political cynic in me is wondering whether that is now being weaponized in Virginia. The top three Dems being accused in rapid succession, opening the path for the first Republican in the line of succession for governor? Way too much of a coincidence, IMO.

Don't take this as me excusing such behavior -- I absolutely do not. But let's just be honest and admit that if both parties held themselves to the same standard, Donald Trump wouldn't be president, Steve King would be unemployed, and Brett Kavanaugh wouldn't be sitting on the highest court. To simultaneously support a president who has been accused of sexual assault by 19 women while shouting down another politician with 2 allegations is some Olympic-level doublethink.
    All well and good but as I said....not much I see on specifics of how to overcome the 5 items on my list. Maybe I am not looking hard enough.

Is it somewhere on the Democratic Party's website? I haven't looked at the #metoo website - but I bet they have a lot of guidance.