One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

Re: One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I had been part of a couple of research studies, so my DNA was basically available to anyone in the medical field and, I would assume, law enforcement as well. The results have been very helpful to me with medical issues. So long as the results aren't allowed to be used to, for example, to deny health insurance (they can't be, under current law), I don't have a big problem with it...
    I'm in this same boat. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I entered into a database to track what happens with me as my only living sibling did.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    This is why I am more likely to trust a government than a corporation. The corporation has no responsibility other than to make profit. At least in theory the government works in service of all of us.
    IMO you have it backwards. A business doesn't last long by not providing its customers a desired good/service at a favorable price. A business can't make a profit if it doesn't have customers to willingly give the business money. Failure to treat its customers right leads to the competition killing that business in a free market. Government has no such competition to keep it honest. Government can offer up lies of serving the public, but history is thick with its abuses.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    I'm in this same boat. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I entered into a database to track what happens with me as my only living sibling did.
    I suspect that a lot of people have their DNA spread around who don't know it. I actually carry around a card with my CYP450 alleles on it. The problem is I usually have to explain it to doctors...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

The funny thing is that the ancestry part of these tests isn't all that accurate anyway. Its a statistical guess about where you might be from and varies based on which company you use.

I do know people who have found long lost relatives through though.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

My beef with the DNA services is that I have limited confidence that the geographic interpretations are correct. My father's DNA testing said he was 4% North African. Not doubting that I have north African blood, but how did he get 4%? (50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.) 4%?
    Here's what I think. they take your money. Put your name on a dart, throw it at a dartboard, give you the results. Who's ever gonna know, right?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    My beef with the DNA services is that I have limited confidence that the geographic interpretations are correct. My father's DNA testing said he was 4% North African. Not doubting that I have north African blood, but how did he get 4%? (50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.) 4%?
    Here's what I think. they take your money. Put your name on a dart, throw it at a dartboard, give you the results. Who's ever gonna know, right?
    Thaaaaank Ya! My feelings exactly.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

On some of the websites they say they say they have a confidence level of "50%" and I'm sure others say lower. So, yea they really don't know. And if you use to multiple sites/labs you'll get variations. Plus they often update their guesses a year or 2 later and suddenly the results are very different.

There was a youtube video of identical twins who sent in their dna to a bunch of different sites and it kinda shows how inaccurate these things are.

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

We're all a bunch of mongrels. I actually think that in most cases that is a big plus for us as a country. I happen to believe that will be the way our race relations will hopefully someday resolve themselves. We will finally realize we are all the same. My belief system already taught me that but it needs to sink in everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    We're all a bunch of mongrels. I actually think that in most cases that is a big plus for us as a country. I happen to believe that will be the way our race relations will hopefully someday resolve themselves. We will finally realize we are all the same. My belief system already taught me that but it needs to sink in everywhere.
    the people need to realize we are all the same, and then we need to address the structural and institutional racism in our country.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Lot of truth in what you say. The big two, in particular, have a lot of shortcuts and "smoothing" which they do with your data. If you're really curious, the thing to do is to upload to GEDMatch, the same public service which the FBI used to track down the Golden State killer. Their results are a lot blurrier but more accurate and your know exactly what their assumptions are. You have a choice of which analytic methods to use (most of us here would use Eurogenes) and how far back you want to dig. The further back (I went back 36 populations), the more of a mongrel you are, which is the way things should be, since you're looking back thousands of years, rather than the 500 or so that Ancestry and 23 use. Their results are very much tailored to simplify and to provide them in the manner which the consuming public usually wants...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

All you rapists, murderers and other violent criminals need to worry greatly about this.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Earle, with all the surgeries you've had over the years, I have a dollar that says your DNA came back at least 15% cyborg.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Earle, with all the surgeries you've had over the years, I have a dollar that says your DNA came back at least 15% cyborg.
    One of the real positives to come out of the testing was how I processed meds. It's changed the sedation protocol for generals. Another interesting finding was that I'm an "ultra rapid metabolizer" of PPIs like Nexium. The notation which came back read "It's doubtful this individual can attain a therapeutic level." So, I quit them, after decades, and turned to H2 blockers instead...