One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    All you rapists, murderers and other violent criminals need to worry greatly about this.
    That's the argument those interested in reducing an individual's liberty uses.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    That's the argument those interested in reducing an individual's liberty uses.
    One of the fastest ways to make me sympathize with a real bad guy is for the government to hold him prisoner until he agrees to divulge the password to his encrypted device.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

I firmly believe we are all aliens, not natural to this planet, but genetically created from the nearest Earthling creature to our alien creators through DNA splicing, a combination of both. In other words God created us male and female in his likeness and that likeness is not natural to this planet!

So if that DNA test does not go back far enough to tell me what star cluster my ancestors are originally from it is a waste of my money!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MOAN View Post
    I firmly believe we are all aliens, not natural to this planet, but genetically created from the nearest Earthling creature to our alien creators through DNA splicing, a combination of both. In other words God created us male and female in his likeness and that likeness is not natural to this planet!

So if that DNA test does not go back far enough to tell me what star cluster my ancestors are originally from it is a waste of my money!!!
    hahahaha Are you really Georgio from Ancient Aliens?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by MOAN View Post

If my DNA test doesn't reveal that I'm Batman then it's crap.

I'm Batman
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    If my DNA test doesn't reveal that I'm Batman then it's crap.

I'm Batman
    You just hurt the feelings of a lot of buzzards.

Just a curiosity question for those of you with trepidation about the FBI having access to your genome - what exactly is the fear, what negative consequences. (Barring, or course, having a guilty relative you want to shield.)
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Just a curiosity question for those of you with trepidation about the FBI having access to your genome - what exactly is the fear, what negative consequences. (Barring, or course, having a guilty relative you want to shield.)

Biometric Security Poses Huge Privacy Risks
    New technologies will also make it possible to extract far more information from the biometrics we are already collecting. While most law-enforcement DNA databases contain only snippets of the genome, agencies can keep the physical DNA samples in perpetuity, raising the question of what future genetic-analysis tools will be able to discern. “Once you have somebody's DNA, you have all sorts of very personal info,” Lynch says. “There is a lot of fear that people are going to start testing samples to look for a link between genes and propensity for crime.”

Current law is not even remotely prepared to handle these developments. The legal status of most types of biometric data is unclear. No court has addressed whether law enforcement can collect biometric data without a person's knowledge, and case law says nothing about facial recognition.
    By the time general trepidation is specific and imminent enough to be justified, it is far too late.

When I was a kid, at the Alabama State Fair, they had a booth where parents could take their kids to get fingerprinted. I think the idea that sold it was that in case of a kidnapping or somesuch, it would help law enforcement locate the kids. Even as a kid, I was apprehensive about it, because all I knew from watching TV was that fingerprints were what got people caught. Now, I did not at that time aspire to a life of crime, and I have been on a (relatively) lawful path my whole life, but that doesn't mean I wanted to get caught forensically if I ever did do something. Of course, now I am cynical enough to believe that the police probably never solved an abduction using that database at all, and just wanted as many people in their database as they could get to make it easier on them to do their jobs. As for myself, I have utter faith in myself that if I ever committed crimes, that I would be justified in doing so. What I do not have utter faith in is that my definition of what should constitute a crime would always and forever match the definition used by local, state, and federal authorities. I know that is a tough sell, especially in law-and-order Alabama, home of Jeff Sessions, who thought the KKK was OK until he found out they smoked pot, but I still trust myself more than I trust anyone else, which forms the basis for the desire to minimize the amount of leverage that lawful authorities have over me. Opposing comprehensive databases, even for noble purposes, is just one part of that.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

The same trepidation that I have with them knowing what type and how many weapons that I own-that is if I actually had weapons of any kind. Goes back to need to know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't trust government much at all - a vast majority of the atrocities that have been committed throughout human history have come at the behest of some sort of government leadership. Therefore, I want the government to have access to as little data as possible about me.

I've no idea exactly how this data could be used against me, but I'm certain someone, somewhere, will figure that part out at some point.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I don't think I need any more reason than that to have trepidation about police having my DNA. People said the same thing about library books and phone records. With the world changing as it has police are using the changes to evade 4th Amendment issues by using all sorts of sketchy novel legal ruling that seemingly tend generally to favor intrusion. Instead of treating digital and other similar data like a lockbox at a bank (which I assume requires a warrant for police to access) it's treated like an open letter you posted online for everyone to see. From my view if I share this data with my doctor or lawyer or a DNA research company or g-mail or my next door neighbor my expectation is that they will guard my private data and that police would need a warrant to search them just like they would need one to search me and so if that person was giving that data up without a fight - really, just giving it to them as a matter of course - they would quickly lose my trust. Period. I do get that a lot of the data gets shared by google and the like.

My guilty relatives: oh, I might reconsider if it got them locked away. I'd pay for the privilege in that case.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Color me confused. They disclosed to the government, whom you trust, but that action makes you not trust the company. Okie dokie.
    There is very little recourse on this front with a corporation unless they expressly give me the right to consent to dispersing my data which of course their service agreements do the exact opposite. The government has the 4th amendment and other laws that limits what the government can extract from me without probable cause.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!