One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The way y'all talk in this topic y'all should stop being diffident centrists and join me in rolling out them damn guillotines.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I think that I would be worried about a "precrime" situation: e.g. Say Boss Hog uses Bo and Luke's genetic profile to deny driver's licenses to Coy and Vance because they share the same genetic markers for reckless driving. Also, I have no confidence in the FBI or any government entity in keeping this information secure: Boss Hog give the information to Hazzard Insurance Group which skyrockets the premiums on the General Lee.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think the more pernicious selling/sharing of your genetic information is B2B rather than B2G.
Businesses haven't historically restricted rights and killed massive amounts of people.

You can fear "Walmart" all you want, but governments (including the US) have murdered far more than any business you can name.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Businesses haven't historically restricted rights and killed massive amounts of people.

You can fear "Walmart" all you want, but governments (including the US) have murdered far more than any business you can name.
tobacco companies did a number on quite a few folks, and opiod manufacturers are trying their damnedest to keep up.

and then there was the corvair and pinto

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
tobacco companies did a number on quite a few folks, and opiod manufacturers are trying their damnedest to keep up.

There are always outliers, but none of those companies actually murdered people. And none of those actually took away the people's rights. I'm not suggesting they don't deserve penalties for lying about their products (putting profit ahead of the welfare of the buyer), but it pales in comparison to what governments have done to citizens throughout history.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There are always outliers, but none of those companies actually murdered people. And none of those actually took away the people's rights. I'm not suggesting they don't deserve penalties for lying about their products (putting profit ahead of the welfare of the buyer), but it pales in comparison to what governments have done to citizens throughout history.
well, the ability to make war will tend to lead to that.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The impact of those companies' wrongdoing would have been far less had the government not promoted, nay, mandated, providers put their lies into practice. That doesn't take away the wrongs of anyone, but government magnified the effects.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
There is very little recourse on this front with a corporation unless they expressly give me the right to consent to dispersing my data which of course their service agreements do the exact opposite. The government has the 4th amendment and other laws that limits what the government can extract from me without probable cause.
And in most cases you can choose a different company or sue a company for breach of contract or other issues and stand as good a chance of winning against them as you do against the government.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The impact of those companies' wrongdoing would have been far less had the government not promoted, nay, mandated, providers put their lies into practice. That doesn't take away the wrongs of anyone, but government magnified the effects.
you think that corporations would have behaved more in the public interest in the absence of government?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
i'm not sure i follow.
If you aren't/weren't in the field you might not know, but I have mentioned it several times here.

The government promoted pain as the fifth vital sign, a right to adequate pain relief, and the lie that using opioids to relieve pain would not lead to addiction. They also tied payments to doctors and hospitals to patient satisfaction surveys that directly incorporated the above as principles to be promoted in order to make sure everyone got onboard with it. Those mandates then filtered out to private insurance as everyone wanted to be in the government's good graces. Doctors and nurses were "educated" by all those institutions on those same issues to drive the point home further. The entire system succumbed to the government mandate based in part on a private company's lies and good intentions. Without the government being involved and moving the whole system in that direction and tying payments to compliance there may have been more people resisting the changes or maybe not even hearing much about it or calling it bunk or all three. I hope that helps.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If you aren't/weren't in the field you might not know, but I have mentioned it several times here.

The government promoted pain as the fifth vital sign, a right to adequate pain relief, and the lie that using opioids to relieve pain would not lead to addiction. They also tied payments to doctors and hospitals to patient satisfaction surveys that directly incorporated the above as principles to be promoted in order to make sure everyone got onboard with it. Those mandates then filtered out to private insurance as everyone wanted to be in the government's good graces. Doctors and nurses were "educated" by all those institutions on those same issues to drive the point home further. The entire system succumbed to the government mandate based in part on a private company's lies and good intentions. Without the government being involved and moving the whole system in that direction and tying payments to compliance there may have been more people resisting the changes or maybe not even hearing much about it or calling it bunk or all three. I hope that helps.
oh, i see what you meant now. thanks. it seems like this was in part an issue of regulatory capture link

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Even if the corporations were purely evil and promoted something they knew was harmful (such as smoking tobacco or an unsafe automobile), it's still up to the consumer to choose to buy and use said product. If / when governments are 'evil' they have historically incarcerated or outright murdered millions of people.

Hence my point that companies pale in comparison. They literally have to appeal to the consumer on some level - the government can (generally speaking) strong-arm people, up to and including removing their rights or even their life.

This is why I'd trust a company far more than any government. But it's also why I'm guarded about my personal information (within reason) - as I know the company might eventually turn over my data to the government.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.