One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Now, under the previously undisclosed cooperation with Family Tree, the FBI has gained access to more than a million DNA profiles from the company, most of which were uploaded before the company’s customers had any knowledge of its relationship with the FBI.

Despite the concerns over privacy, officials at Family Tree touted their work with the FBI.

“Without realizing it [Family Tree DNA founder and CEO Bennett Greenspan] had inadvertently created a platform that, nearly two decades later, would help law enforcement agencies solve violent crimes faster than ever,” the company said in a statement.

Officials at Family Tree said customers could decide to opt out of any familial matching, which would prevent their profiles from being searchable by the FBI. But by doing so, customers would also be unable to use one of the key features of the service: finding possible relatives through DNA testing.

My tinfoil hat may be on a bit too tight, but this is one of the reasons I've avoided these DNA tests for years...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

A friend of mine who is in law enforcement (investigator on the drug crime side of things) called this years ago when this service first came out. I remember him posting it on facebook "What do you think these companies are doing with your DNA after you voluntarily give it to them?"
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I had been part of a couple of research studies, so my DNA was basically available to anyone in the medical field and, I would assume, law enforcement as well. The results have been very helpful to me with medical issues. So long as the results aren't allowed to be used to, for example, to deny health insurance (they can't be, under current law), I don't have a big problem with it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I had been part of a couple of research studies, so my DNA was basically available to anyone in the medical field and, I would assume, law enforcement as well. The results have been very helpful to me with medical issues. So long as the results aren't allowed to be used to, for example, to deny health insurance (they can't be, under current law), I don't have a big problem with it...
    It is kinda creepy and should be prominently disclosed up front.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    My wife and I watch entirely too many shows on Netflix such as Blacklist etc. So our tinfoil hats and black helicopters paints me concerned regarding a service like this. But I agree, if this is what they are doing it should be disclosed in an obvious manner on the front end.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My wife and I watch entirely too many shows on Netflix such as Blacklist etc. So our tinfoil hats and black helicopters paints me concerned regarding a service like this. But I agree, if this is what they are doing it should be disclosed in an obvious manner on the front end.
    I have no problem with it if disclosed in an obvious manner up front. The FBI has used these databases to catch some bad guys. It could be used for nefarious purposes, though.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

This is why I am more likely to trust a government than a corporation. The corporation has no responsibility other than to make profit. At least in theory the government works in service of all of us.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

It may sound like splitting hairs, but the company says that it'll never sell or disclose any information except to law enforcement...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

I have no problem with it if disclosed in an obvious manner up front. The FBI has used these databases to catch some bad guys. It could be used for nefarious purposes, though.
    Now, under the previously undisclosed cooperation with Family Tree, the FBI has gained access to more than a million DNA profiles from the company, most of which were uploaded before the company’s customers had any knowledge of its relationship with the FBI.
    This is nefarious enough for me.

It may sound like splitting hairs, but the company says that it'll never sell or disclose any information except to law enforcement...
    The difference to me is whether they do so because they have to because of a warrant or court order regarding a specific person, or if they just go ahead and make it available for a fishing expedition.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Until the executives really need to make a good quarterly report and they start selling it to our insurers or whatever.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    This is why I am more likely to trust a government than a corporation. The corporation has no responsibility other than to make profit. At least in theory the government works in service of all of us.
    Yes and what a great job it does.

(I assume that's the reason you prefaced it with "In theory")

LOL!

Color me confused. They disclosed to the government, whom you trust, but that action makes you not trust the company. Okie dokie.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

this is one of the main reasons i am completely against corporations running schools and prisons.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon