One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Now, under the previously undisclosed cooperation with Family Tree, the FBI has gained access to more than a million DNA profiles from the company, most of which were uploaded before the company’s customers had any knowledge of its relationship with the FBI.

Despite the concerns over privacy, officials at Family Tree touted their work with the FBI.

“Without realizing it [Family Tree DNA founder and CEO Bennett Greenspan] had inadvertently created a platform that, nearly two decades later, would help law enforcement agencies solve violent crimes faster than ever,” the company said in a statement.

Officials at Family Tree said customers could decide to opt out of any familial matching, which would prevent their profiles from being searchable by the FBI. But by doing so, customers would also be unable to use one of the key features of the service: finding possible relatives through DNA testing.
One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

My tinfoil hat may be on a bit too tight, but this is one of the reasons I've avoided these DNA tests for years...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A friend of mine who is in law enforcement (investigator on the drug crime side of things) called this years ago when this service first came out. I remember him posting it on facebook "What do you think these companies are doing with your DNA after you voluntarily give it to them?"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had been part of a couple of research studies, so my DNA was basically available to anyone in the medical field and, I would assume, law enforcement as well. The results have been very helpful to me with medical issues. So long as the results aren't allowed to be used to, for example, to deny health insurance (they can't be, under current law), I don't have a big problem with it...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I had been part of a couple of research studies, so my DNA was basically available to anyone in the medical field and, I would assume, law enforcement as well. The results have been very helpful to me with medical issues. So long as the results aren't allowed to be used to, for example, to deny health insurance (they can't be, under current law), I don't have a big problem with it...
It is kinda creepy and should be prominently disclosed up front.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It is kinda creepy and should be prominently disclosed up front.
My wife and I watch entirely too many shows on Netflix such as Blacklist etc. So our tinfoil hats and black helicopters paints me concerned regarding a service like this. But I agree, if this is what they are doing it should be disclosed in an obvious manner on the front end.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My wife and I watch entirely too many shows on Netflix such as Blacklist etc. So our tinfoil hats and black helicopters paints me concerned regarding a service like this. But I agree, if this is what they are doing it should be disclosed in an obvious manner on the front end.
I have no problem with it if disclosed in an obvious manner up front. The FBI has used these databases to catch some bad guys. It could be used for nefarious purposes, though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is why I am more likely to trust a government than a corporation. The corporation has no responsibility other than to make profit. At least in theory the government works in service of all of us.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I have no problem with it if disclosed in an obvious manner up front. The FBI has used these databases to catch some bad guys. It could be used for nefarious purposes, though.
Now, under the previously undisclosed cooperation with Family Tree, the FBI has gained access to more than a million DNA profiles from the company, most of which were uploaded before the company’s customers had any knowledge of its relationship with the FBI.
This is nefarious enough for me.

It may sound like splitting hairs, but the company says that it'll never sell or disclose any information except to law enforcement...
The difference to me is whether they do so because they have to because of a warrant or court order regarding a specific person, or if they just go ahead and make it available for a fishing expedition.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It may sound like splitting hairs, but the company says that it'll never sell or disclose any information except to law enforcement...
Until the executives really need to make a good quarterly report and they start selling it to our insurers or whatever.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is why I am more likely to trust a government than a corporation. The corporation has no responsibility other than to make profit. At least in theory the government works in service of all of us.
this is one of the main reasons i am completely against corporations running schools and prisons.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I'm in this same boat. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I entered into a database to track what happens with me as my only living sibling did.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
IMO you have it backwards. A business doesn't last long by not providing its customers a desired good/service at a favorable price. A business can't make a profit if it doesn't have customers to willingly give the business money. Failure to treat its customers right leads to the competition killing that business in a free market. Government has no such competition to keep it honest. Government can offer up lies of serving the public, but history is thick with its abuses.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm in this same boat. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I entered into a database to track what happens with me as my only living sibling did.
I suspect that a lot of people have their DNA spread around who don't know it. I actually carry around a card with my CYP450 alleles on it. The problem is I usually have to explain it to doctors... :D

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The funny thing is that the ancestry part of these tests isn't all that accurate anyway. Its a statistical guess about where you might be from and varies based on which company you use.

I do know people who have found long lost relatives through though.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My beef with the DNA services is that I have limited confidence that the geographic interpretations are correct. My father's DNA testing said he was 4% North African. Not doubting that I have north African blood, but how did he get 4%? (50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.) 4%?
Here's what I think. they take your money. Put your name on a dart, throw it at a dartboard, give you the results. Who's ever gonna know, right?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My beef with the DNA services is that I have limited confidence that the geographic interpretations are correct. My father's DNA testing said he was 4% North African. Not doubting that I have north African blood, but how did he get 4%? (50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.) 4%?
Here's what I think. they take your money. Put your name on a dart, throw it at a dartboard, give you the results. Who's ever gonna know, right?
Thaaaaank Ya! My feelings exactly.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
On some of the websites they say they say they have a confidence level of "50%" and I'm sure others say lower. So, yea they really don't know. And if you use to multiple sites/labs you'll get variations. Plus they often update their guesses a year or 2 later and suddenly the results are very different.

There was a youtube video of identical twins who sent in their dna to a bunch of different sites and it kinda shows how inaccurate these things are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.