Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
On a scale of 1 to 10, with elite being 8 or higher, I put Michigan at about 6. A decent team, but not quite elite. Hairball is simply not the great coach sports media think he is. There's a lot of positive for Michigan, but it's not their head coach.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
What SEC team would be a fair comparison of Michigan in the B1G under CJH's tenure? I'm personally thinking the equivalent would be LSU.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Auburn has been FAR more successful in the two decades than Michigan.

TN is probably the closest example if we're looking at the last 20-ish years.
I can see it but I think Michigan has been more consistently average to slightly above average and Tennessee has been more below average over that time span.

Michigan’s problem is they hire dumb coaches, coach’s out of their depth, or coaches that take awhile to establish their identity. Lloyd Carr despite the 97 season was a dumb coach because he had a NC team in 99 but let the fans do his depth chart an cost him a title, Rich Rod was a dumb coach that needed time to establish an identity, Hoke was okay but he was out of his depth once Urban took charge, and Harbaugh is out of his depth while urban is in charge. I think Harbaugh has this one chance to win because there is a lot of uncertainty at Ohio St this year with Fields and Day while the game being at Michigan.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I can see it but I think Michigan has been more consistently average to slightly above average and Tennessee has been more below average over that time span.

Michigan’s problem is they hire dumb coaches, coach’s out of their depth, or coaches that take awhile to establish their identity. Lloyd Carr despite the 97 season was a dumb coach because he had a NC team in 99 but let the fans do his depth chart an cost him a title, Rich Rod was a dumb coach that needed time to establish an identity, Hoke was okay but he was out of his depth once Urban took charge, and Harbaugh is out of his depth while urban is in charge. I think Harbaugh has this one chance to win because there is a lot of uncertainty at Ohio St this year with Fields and Day while the game being at Michigan.
During the past 11 seasons, UT had 7 losing seasons. During that same period, Michigan had 3 losing records. That said, Michigan has only finished in the top 10 one time in the past 12 years (and that was at #10). So Michigan has definitely outperformed Tennessee, but I don't think they are any where close to what LSU has done in the past decade to 20 years.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I get it, but the point is they have the same number of conference and national championships.

Comparing them to AU is unfair to AU (despite how fun that is) - they actually won the conference and NC during the toughest conference years the SEC has ever seen. UM plays in an easier conference and can't even win that.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Of course the thing we have to ask is whether we would have considered Bama as an all time elite program in 2006? We had three losing records from 1996-2006; We also finished in the top ten three times. We won the SEC 1 time. I would say Michigan has hit a decade slump and needs to rebound sharply if they want to regain their reputation as an elite program.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Under Harbaugh's tenure comparing Michigan to Tennessee is ridiculous. 3 of 4 years they've won 10 games and finished in the top 15. The last time Tennessee did that was 2007 when Phat Phil was still at the helm. That's a lifetime ago.

Right now? They're probably on the same tier as LSU. A distant 2nd or 3rd within their division to the premier program (Alabama for LSU, Ohio State for Mich), winning 10 games and going to big bowl games but no real threat to win a National Title.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Under Harbaugh's tenure comparing Michigan to Tennessee is ridiculous. 3 of 4 years they've won 10 games and finished in the top 15. The last time Tennessee did that was 2007 when Phat Phil was still at the helm. That's a lifetime ago.

Right now? They're probably on the same tier as LSU. A distant 2nd or 3rd within their division to the premier program (Alabama for LSU, Ohio State for Mich), winning 10 games and going to big bowl games but no real threat to win a National Title.
Was thinking the exact same thing under his tenure. It's like he's made the program into a proverbial threat at the beginning of each season to only become the proverbial letdown at the end of each season. Sort of the same with LSU ... there's always seems to be a preseason hype about them being a dark horse team only to fall well short.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Harbaugh and Carr have been close to playing for a NC 3 times (99, 07, and 18). 1 time coaching directly cost them (99 Brady-Henson fiasco), and two times controversial rulings by the refs vs Ohio St. I think the only time in the last 20 years Tennessee was ever in the position to go was 2001 because they got to play Florida in the last game of the season fully healthy. I think Michigan is more like an Andy Reid team in that they will get very close to a championship, but they always get in their own way once they play a great team... so I would say Georgia is the more relatable SEC team to Michigan even though Michigan's trophy case and resume is more like Tennessee in the past 20 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.