Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Any time I get in an discussion with a Michigan fan, I simply ask one question: How many undisputed NC’s have they won in the last 50 years?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Any time I get in an discussion with a Michigan fan, I simply ask one question: How many undisputed NC’s have they won in the last 50 years?
I give Michigan the title in 97 and put an asterisk by Nebraska because Nebraska went undefeated on a bull crap ref decision in Missouri.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Before the season started they were saying that Patterson was going to win a Heisman and lead them to a title. They just never seem to be able to get their act together, and I don't see any reason why anyone should think that they will.

rtr

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They haven't won a NC in the last two decades and haven't even won their conference title in the 15.

No, they're not elite. They once were, but not now.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Well, what about recently? Michigan hasn’t won a Big 10 conference title in football since 2004. That’s 14 seasons ago. Which teams have won Big 10 conference titles since 2005?

6 – Ohio State
3 – Penn State
3 – Wisconsin
2 – Michigan State
0 – Michigan
Let the chanting commence .... OOOOOVERRATTTED!!!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Up through the Schembechler years, I’d call them elite, even though they didn’t win a ton of NCs. That’s because they were usually in the hunt, and a consistent Top 5 to Top 10 team.

Since then, though, they’ve been cruising on past glories, and the reputation is way out of line with the on-field performance.

And yes, their fans are an arrogant bunch. Ran into several at the Dallas kickoff game. They were guests in the Alabama Alumni tent (you read that right), and were yapping and most condescending.

One asked me what I thought about Denzel Robinson. I said that I thought he would make a couple of big plays, but would be surprised if he were able to move the ball with consistency.

My UM acquaintance said, “That’s so cliche....don’t you have something better than that?” I maintained my position in logical terms, and he walked off, literally shaking his head.

Of course, the game worked out exactly as I expected, and the mouthy jerk was nowhere to be found.

So yeah, I don’t like it when somebody takes full advantage of my hospitality, then gives me the figurative moon for my trouble.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Historically they're an elite program but certainly aren't now.

They're still probably a top 15 program but don't seem particularly close to overtaking Ohio State or legitimately competing for National Titles.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"How many of you think Michigan is an elite football program, and should be considered as a worthy challenger, to win a national championship? Show of hands?"

"Well, you're wrong. Michigan is a has-been, living on the memory of their golden years, which weren't really that golden to begin with. What say you......................yes, the guy who painted his body blue. Tell us why you shouldn't be mocked and ridiculed."

"Uh.............uh...........because we are Michigan and uh.............Bo Schembechler and................uh..................uh........I forget. Oh, yeah, Jim HairBawl. Go Big Blue. Yeah."

(Slight apologies to the MXC crew.)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I give Michigan the title in 97 and put an asterisk by Nebraska because Nebraska went undefeated on a bull crap ref decision in Missouri.

Even with crediting them a full NC in 1997, that’s one total in the last 50 years.

That’s not elite— at least in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Unless the wheels completely fall off this season for OSU (which I doubt), I see the trend for UM continuing. It's hard to see them making it to the playoffs next season. Personally I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed in that outcome.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Even with crediting them a full NC in 1997, that’s one total in the last 50 years.

That’s not elite— at least in my humble opinion.
Never said as much, but I just hate Husker fans claiming a “dynasty” that was made off of a bad call. Even with the player in question admits to it being the incorrect call.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
In the past, you may have heard Paul Finebaum talking about how Michigan fans think higher of their program and Jim Harbaugh than they should....well he's not wrong.

https://johnbaranowski.wordpress.com/2019/02/07/michigan-football-elite-or-overrated/
For a number of years, Michigan has been
'A LEGEND IN THEIR OWN MINDS'.
They talk a good game, but...
Michigan's main fans appear to be football sportscasters.
(They are correct as often as the proverbial stopped clock.)

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
In my mind, they are not an elite program. And Harbaugh is not an elite coach at the college level. He was somewhat successful in the NFL but has not been able to win anything of note at the college level. Even if he *could* recruit Saban's players, I still don't think he could get Michigan into the playoffs. He is way overrated.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.