Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?

In the past, you may have heard Paul Finebaum talking about how Michigan fans think higher of their program and Jim Harbaugh than they should....well he's not wrong.

https://johnbaranowski.wordpress.com...-or-overrated/

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Re: Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?

No, yes. /end thread

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Any time I get in an discussion with a Michigan fan, I simply ask one question: How many undisputed NCís have they won in the last 50 years?
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Any time I get in an discussion with a Michigan fan, I simply ask one question: How many undisputed NCís have they won in the last 50 years?
    I give Michigan the title in 97 and put an asterisk by Nebraska because Nebraska went undefeated on a bull crap ref decision in Missouri.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Overrated. You can add Texas Longhorns in there as well.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Before the season started they were saying that Patterson was going to win a Heisman and lead them to a title. They just never seem to be able to get their act together, and I don't see any reason why anyone should think that they will.

rtr

They haven't won a NC in the last two decades and haven't even won their conference title in the 15.

No, they're not elite. They once were, but not now.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-SEC

Well, what about recently? Michigan hasn’t won a Big 10 conference title in football since 2004. That’s 14 seasons ago. Which teams have won Big 10 conference titles since 2005?

6 – Ohio State
    3 – Penn State
    3 – Wisconsin
    2 – Michigan State
    0 – Michigan
    Let the chanting commence .... OOOOOVERRATTTED!!!!

FB|BB Moderator

Up through the Schembechler years, Iíd call them elite, even though they didnít win a ton of NCs. Thatís because they were usually in the hunt, and a consistent Top 5 to Top 10 team.

Since then, though, theyíve been cruising on past glories, and the reputation is way out of line with the on-field performance.

And yes, their fans are an arrogant bunch. Ran into several at the Dallas kickoff game. They were guests in the Alabama Alumni tent (you read that right), and were yapping and most condescending.

One asked me what I thought about Denzel Robinson. I said that I thought he would make a couple of big plays, but would be surprised if he were able to move the ball with consistency.

My UM acquaintance said, ďThatís so cliche....donít you have something better than that?Ē I maintained my position in logical terms, and he walked off, literally shaking his head.

Of course, the game worked out exactly as I expected, and the mouthy jerk was nowhere to be found.

So yeah, I donít like it when somebody takes full advantage of my hospitality, then gives me the figurative moon for my trouble.

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Historically they're an elite program but certainly aren't now.

They're still probably a top 15 program but don't seem particularly close to overtaking Ohio State or legitimately competing for National Titles.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

"How many of you think Michigan is an elite football program, and should be considered as a worthy challenger, to win a national championship? Show of hands?"

"Well, you're wrong. Michigan is a has-been, living on the memory of their golden years, which weren't really that golden to begin with. What say you......................yes, the guy who painted his body blue. Tell us why you shouldn't be mocked and ridiculed."

"Uh.............uh...........because we are Michigan and uh.............Bo Schembechler and................uh..................uh........I forget. Oh, yeah, Jim HairBawl. Go Big Blue. Yeah."

(Slight apologies to the MXC crew.)
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Their history is similar to Tennessee and I can't stand either one.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I give Michigan the title in 97 and put an asterisk by Nebraska because Nebraska went undefeated on a bull crap ref decision in Missouri.

Even with crediting them a full NC in 1997, that’s one total in the last 50 years.

That’s not elite— at least in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 11th, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings